Are baking soda and vinegar okay to use for pH up and down?

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by grasscityus, Mar 12, 2011.

1. I know I can use baking soda for pH up and vinegar for pH down, but I don't know if it can have an adverse effect on the plant. Her newer foliage since adding the nute solution looks green and healthy, so I think it's okay. I had to use a bit of each to counteract each other and eventually got to a pH of 5.87, which should be about perfect. I tested the TDS after and it was up to about 1200, so I added some water to get it down to about 300-400 PPM for the first watering with nutes. I will up it from there, I just don't want to keep giving a harmful solution to the baby if that is the case.

2. Baking Soda is OK .. a little goes a long way so watch it.

Would not vote vinegar into 1st place. Too organic in hydo and pretty week.
    I like pool acid (Hydrochloric) - comes in 38% mix at the pool store.
    pH Down is a proprietary mix - they wont tell you whats in it .. but it is based on Phosphoric and Nitric acids.

3. +1

you have to use a TON of vinegar to make a difference in pH, its just not worth the hassle when you can pick up ph up/down very easily

4. That makes sense thanks for the response guys.

5. just by some hydroponic down. u shouldnt need that much up ever.

6. Thank you wert. That's what I found after mixing my first solution as well. :hello:

7. doesn't baking soda and vinegar make a chemical reaction?

8. yeah try it. its fun.

9. Just a comment on your PPM.. Is it bad that ur PPM is at 1500.. I'm curious as to why you dropped it down to 500.. I am currently using FOx Farms Full line of nutes and I uses plant success and Sugaree and my PPM's is up in the 1800's and I haven't seen any burning. I was told that I could push them that high and with the two additives i use pushes the ppm about 300 PPM's over what us recremended on their feeding chart via website

10. Two things: You probably have yours under HID (MH or HPS), in which case the plant can absorb all of the nutrients you are giving it. The reason I dropped to 500 at first was to ween the plant onto the solution. If you give her the max ppm at first, it could cause a bad reaction (nute burn, lock-out, etc.). I have my ppm up to about 1100 now. I am still under CFLs so I probably won't go much higher than that on this grow.

11. #11 xSpecialEDx, Mar 24, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    I know about easing them onto the nutrients from seedling to veg as I follow closely to the feeding schedule adjusted nutes back to 8 gallons and full strength for surge and plant success. Just saw seedlings ppm is between 700-800 and week 1 (1100 - 1260) and by week 4 its up to 1610 PPM's I am in the middle of my 3rd week of flowering an yes I'm under a 400w hps and 250w cfl ok that makes sense about HID and it's relationship to PPMs thanks for the reply and education

12. How about lime concentrate ? It's high in acid...

13. i hope to god i dont smoke your weed !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. Lemon Juice is good for down in a pinch, same a baking soda for up.

But for 12 bucks a quart, I'd just use the shit made for it, but if you run out and cant get to the hydro store you have to adjust the PH.

15. Baking soda is a no-no "Sodium" Bi-Carbonate.. Ever heard of leeching?

16. Uh, no...Do explain.

17. Keep it simple. Just buy some ph Up & Down... Amazon is good if there isn't a hydro store nearby. Most problems come from taking shortcuts or over complicating things.

18. Vinager is useless it evaporates out of the res in a matter of hours, bicarbonate soda is okay, but I have never used a ph up in my grow.

19. Is bicarbonated soda and sodium bicarbonate not the same thing?

Little by little, a little becomes alot.