Are autoflowrs really that bad?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Dirty south, Aug 23, 2012.

1. I have seen it on these forums about how auto flowers suck with yield and potency( i heard the high doesn't last as long as normal seeds). So is this true I am considering using them since u can put them on 24 hrs on light . Do they really suck?

2. I dont find they do but thats just myself. Always had good yields, potency etc. Only way for you to see is to try yourself.

3. Yeah bro I saw you on another thread defending autoflowers :D lol thanks for the input bro

4. #4 rhapsodyrcks, Aug 23, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2012
  5. ive had great results with any of the lowryder varieties and was actually much more surprised then disappointed

6. IMHO, autoflowers are great, in spring you plant them and harvest in early summer outside when no one is looking, okay Leroy knows about them but Leroy being Leroy is kind of lazy and do they really want to be harvest hunting all year long? Well okay I guess they might like that but still it is neat to get 3-4 harvest a year!

Yet if you are referring how are they if used inside? I really don't see the value unless it is a small private grow, a few plants sure they should be excellent, stick to the better breeders and solid genetics an you should be good to go.

Depends upon what you wanna do with them? I did a few last year wasn't all that impress with the speed but had more regular and they just didn't fit in to my style of grow. Yet with regular seed you can go straight to flower and basically have an autoflower but with better or purer gene that is basically what you give up as far as know they are all cross with the Rudeleas (spell?) line. So basically I just don't see for the purist of person or one that is well verse with discriminating taste. Yet if its a high your after they should more then suffice!

7. Why would they not be of value in a small grow? I pull 2-3 ounces per auto. Thats pretty decent. Almost all the mainline breeders have fastly come out with much better autos. Paradise Seeds, Dutch Passion in particular have come out with heavy yield autos this year. Out side the US Auto growing is actually pretty popular. 1st Gen autos sucked its why people think there shit. Funny thing is alot of regular photoperiod plants are shit as well but everyone rags on autos.

I grow both and like both personally.

Also regarding going straight to flowering from seed. Photoperiod Cannabis still has to be mature enough to flower. Ive done 12/12 from seed and all you end up with is a small plant. The plant needs 20-30 days to mature enough to be able to flower. You do not have anything remotely resembling a Autoflower doing that.

A Autoflower is just like any other Cannabis plant. All the same needs and wants the only difference is that it flowers according to age not light times.

8. I like auto strains for some grows, they do great outdoors where I am. If you run them indoors then you can have a perpetual grow in just one area :D

Some of the breeders and strains are bad but there are some real good ones out there.

Sweet Seeds do some nice ones :smoke:

9. What the hell you picking on me for??? The sentence is this; I really don't see the value unless it is a small private grow, a few plants sure they should be excellent, stick to the better breeders and solid genetics an you should be good to go.

You like hurt my feelings now apologize!:D

10. I don't see the value of them in a perpetual grow "grow room" unless you want to continue buying seeds or dedicating a grow to produce seeds. Which if you are a breeder or really large scale it might be worth it, maybe but clones are better for perpetual grow IMHO>.

11. You can keep a harvest going all the time with just one tent, as its on the same light cycle all the time you can just keep putting seedlings in whenever you have space.

I don't run clones anymore since not having a veggy area, I'm not running any auto strains right now either but I have done in the past and would do again.

I like growing from seed and changing strains often, sometimes I clone a strain and keep it going for a while but I want to try as many strains ad possible :smoke:

12. #12 thcrazybotanist, Aug 23, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2012

Yea that is fine and dandy but I really don't like buying seeds all the time. And I surely don't want to do a whole harvest for just seeds. Yet its all good, I was simply stating obvious pro's and con's of the autoflower.

Ps there are a lot of strains and I don't blame anyone for wanting to do as many as possible!

13. r they less potent than normal seeds

14. A lot of people like them, despite being less potent which is also arguable. I personally didn't like them, because it was just too quick for me.

I like to see the growth and I find its just too fast with autos, you need to stay on top of them so much more then you do with regular plants.

In my case It started flowering even before I had roots showing at the bottom of my cup, so I ended up just leaving it because I didn't want to stress it from transplanting during flowering, I don't know if it is too late now but I was really shut off from autos at that point.

15. I'd say they are less potent but they are getting better.

I ran the Cream Caramel auto from Sweet Seeds and it was awesome but the non-auto Cream Caramel was much better :smoke:

16. If you want to dive into the connieruer market the choice of AF would be not good but anything else you are talking degrees. More then likely the normal smoker be hard press to tell a AF Vs Reg seed of the same strain. Yet yes the potency is a little less an IMHO the visual appeal and taste will be off also but that would only equate to the most demanding of us. Most would have little care betweent he two, it would IMHO be a miminal difference.

17. mmm depends what you get man. Gotta do your homework. I grow Afghan Kush Ryder from World of Seeds quite often. Shit will knock you out usually. There potency is 18+% THC for most of the new autos.

Def worth a try. Either way just keep growing man!

18. YES an auto thread with an auto expert. I was gonna grow autos next summer was gonna be my first anyway was wondering what strains you guys like my options were think different, auto bomb, jet 47, easy ryder, jack 47, and original amnesia but im open to others and i saw more on attitude ps im looking for sativas

19. Check out Dutch Passions website they have some high yielding Autos and on there website they include pics from various grow journals. Paradise Seeds as well has a new batch of heavy yielders.

20. Autoflowers are great. If you are just starting up a grow you can run a round of autoflowers on 20/4 or any other veg cycle, and a month before they harvest you can start a batch of regular photoperiod plants. When the auto's harvest you switch to 12/12 and you will get a really fast batch and have some even danker shit coming right behind it.