Are atheists looked down upon by general society?

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by g0pher, Apr 4, 2014.

1. #1 g0pher, Apr 4, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2014
    In this day and age 

I mean we're in the 21st century for pete's sake 

Why in the hell do we have to walk on eggshells and hold our beliefs in private and in closets in society because of the fear of being austrasized by the overwhelming majority of religious people around us?

We have made so many advancements in medical and natural sciences, archeology, anthropology, culture, myth legend, astronomy, human psychology etc etc, that we should by now have 'matured' or grown up as a human race and shelved away religious beliefs. 

I find it totally astounding that the atheist in a in a group of people, friends or whatever, has to shy away from expressing their beliefs/views on religion for fear of being ridiculed somehow - i mean really? shouldnt' it be the other way around lol?

It's like in musical culture, sports, politics etc, you have to be inclined to some religious belief in order to be accepted as a role model by the general public, how many times have you seen the 'cross sign' just before the sportsman takes the winning shot? Or the politicion who 'holds sound religious values'?

But I like the example in the video below, Morgan Freeman calls himself "a man of faith", which i think is quite clever haha...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFRnd-UugUg

2. #2 hermione420, Apr 4, 2014
    I'm not sure where you live but most of the people I encounter aren't religious. I don't think atheists are "looked down upon." Definitely not in this age. That's the wrong term to use, but I think a some people have a problem with people who are aggressively atheists, like the annoying shitheads who like to bring up how God isn't real every 10 seconds and likes to attack people's beliefs because just to be a bit of an asshole. But people like that, religious, atheists, or whatever, are always going to be ostracized anyway for just being overly arrogant and obnoxious.

3. there is no question that atheists face intense hatred and are certainly looked down upon to say the least. 

4. Just the ones that dont mind their own business, or like someone else said 'agressive athiests'

5. #5 0ri0n, Apr 4, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2014
    No, but they certainly tend to look down on others. (No offense intended but I see more aggressive, vindictive atheists than religious folks by far)
    And they're taking over. Ignorance is fading and they'll become the majority one of these days.

6. I like the agnostic Atheists more than Atheists of America.

7. Yes, atheists are looked down upon in society i'd say. Atheists don't want to hear about someones religion, and religious people don't want to hear about how someone is atheist. It's almost like a cycle perpetuated by ignorance. Religious people tend to want to spread their word and when people aren't interested because they don't share the same beliefs, they think lesser of them or so it appears at least. It seems like sports fans arguing over which team is better and it doesn't really accomplish anything. Each team's fans can spout out facts and statistics, but in the end it's just a meaningless game. 

A lot of Atheists tend be be aggressive because they've had to deal with religion being shoved down their throats their entire lives and they end up saying blasphemy towards religions which then offends people. I've had religious friends completely turn their back on me for the sole reason of me being an atheist, and i find it quite ridiculous. I don't bother anyone with my beliefs, i don't even consider myself religious. I personally don't think anyone should be treated negatively just because they believe something different, especially if they aren't being intrusive with their beliefs. Just my $0.02

8. Where I live it seems that religious folks are more looked down upon by atheists. Whereas the religious don't flaunt their religion at all. There is a lot of multiculturalism and a lot of people don't talk about beliefs and religious things.

9. That map of the states is crazy...what do you do...have to raise our hand on the Bible and profess that you believe? Then you're allowed to put your bid in? hahaha

To a religious person an agressive atheist is anyone who dares say they think god isn't real

11. Atheists are in no way distinct from general society, so...

12. #13 hermione420, Apr 4, 2014
    Maybe for some religious people. But even for non religious people, I meant 'aggressive' as in bringing up god not being real in an unwarranted fashion (like outside of a conversation about religion)

13. Also atheists a lot of the time make it abundantly clear that god not existing is a fact.

14. So you never see or hear of religious parades, street preachers, religious themed clothing (not mandated by whatever holy book they follow) etc?

15. Even Richard Dawkins doesn't claim it to be a fact.

16. #17 jayfoxpox, Apr 4, 2014
    Well with the "One day, I hope you'll realize the truth." after an either short or long discussion does imply a slight condescending tone as if they're more enlightens about reality then you are just because they think they feel the holy spirit, but I don't know if you can label these individuals as general society.

17. lmao...really... trust me they are not looked down upon nearly as much as folks with religious beliefs.
    Would be nice if everyone would keep their nose out of others beliefs and let them enjoy the freedom to choose
    whatever they want without ridicule from others.
    But no one satisfied with that they think they must push their own beliefs..

quit immature and sad if you ask me..

18. Simple question "Could an atheist be elected president in America?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Grasscity Forum mobile app

dude you want to get on this guy for using ambiguous language?

Pot callin the kettle black...