Are Americans weak

Discussion in 'Politics' started by craigd89, May 4, 2012.

1. Ameria
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4kfOATzPMk]Oakland Police use Concussion Grenades and Extraction Teams on May Day 2012 - YouTube[/ame]

Greece
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GthZEd35xwI&feature=fvst]Video of Greece strike turning violent in Athens - YouTube[/ame]
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGETccFkVCc&feature=fvst]Greece riots: Video of violent clashes as cops tear-gas protesters in Athens - YouTube[/ame]

2. And what exactly is your point?

3. Right man. You are so right :)

4. Americans by in large are a patriotic law abiding sort and are very slow to attack government forces be they police or military. The law is respected.
    Europeans are more rebellious and more likely to riot etc.

But to say Americans are weak is ridiculous. They are far from weak. We can see this in the way they responded to 9/11 etc etc etc.

5. Simply stated for you to understand...

NO :D:wave:

6. Actually its the police whose weak. They will have 10-15 cops tackling 1 kidd for have a joint in his mouth

7. Didn't watch the videos, but equating violence with strength is the mother of all fallacies. It takes more strength to resist peacefully than it does to resist with violence.

Gandhi was far from weak.

8. Americans are weak because we dont start fires?

Thats about the only difference between the videos.

Where is
    ???

9. Yes, Americans are weak.

Greeks turn on their government when they realize they've been conned. They don't just sit in a park like a bunch of pussies, they do something about it.

Americans, by and large, aren't even smart enough to realize they've been conned in the first place. The ones who are usually wind up Occupy retards or reactionary militia hill-people who get nothing done and generally buy into all sorts of other bullshit conspiracy theories.

The idea of resisting the government, or even questioning it at all, is not something that comes naturally to Americans. A couple centuries ago, a few rich aristocrats managed to get not quite half of the country to rebel against government malfeasance so stupendous it would be hard to ignore (although about a fifth of the country managed to anyway), and ever since then we've been wallowing in our natural tendency to not think critically about anything at all, and we've gotten exactly the country we deserve as a result.

I'd love to kick back and laugh at the sweet justice of it all, but I actually have to live here, so I'll just have to keep expressing my cynicism on the internet and at the voting booth until they finally abolish our sham elections altogether and give the American people the tyranny they've been asking for since 1783.

10. this

but but but, someone somewhere at sometime said something is bad for me and wrote it on a piece of paper so now i wont do it and cant do it and since it is on a piece of paper written by someone wearing a suit it must be bad for me

:mad::mad::mad::mad:

11. Well if you're comparing America to Greece, there are many differences.

America - Ancient British Monarchist Heritage, Battles for Democracy over the last few hundred years, a century of involvement in Global Warfare (distraction from domestic inequality), Military Industrial Complex, Prison Industrial Complex, Huge Drug Market and Drug War, overall Totalitarian Rule and use of the mass media for psychological indoctrination, a Police Force that has become a 1st class enforcer for the wealthy to subjugate a 2nd class American Public. Modern American Protesters are generally peaceful and submissively allow themselves to be arrested.

Greece - Ancient Democratic Heritage, Battles for Democracy over the last few thousand years, little involvement in Global Warfare (attention toward domestic conflict), very little Military or Prison Industrial Complex, not much of a Drug Market or Drug War, nowhere near the mass media, and a Police Force that have threatened to arrest top Financial Officials from the IMF and EU for simple corruption and "eroding democracy and national sovereignty" as they claimed in their statement. Modern Greek Protesters are arming themselves and you don't see many arrests.

I don't believe America is weak when compared to a country like Greece. America is simply more corrupt and have a terribly divised class system. The Greek Police have consciences to uphold democracy and serve the people, while American Police are conscienceless Fascists who serve the wealthy modern monarchist royalty. American Politicians and our Legal System can say America is a Democracy until they are blue in the face, but they are lying. The American poor have been Democracy supporters since the American Revolution, but we've only been fighting for it under a World Monarchist Regime. I'll add that there are unseen elements that control American Society similar to those in George Orwell's 1984 or the more recent movie "Equilibrium". Mass Prescription of Pharmaceuticals, Chemicals in Food and Water, Hidden Surveillance and Tracking of Citizens...All things that aren't enforced in a less technologically advanced and controlled country like Greece. They appear to be more in touch with the ancient world and fundamental elements of society.

It is quite embarassing...

12. #12 ~Blu, May 5, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2012
    America still functions and remains a world power through our protests... We want to change power peacefully through elections, awareness, and education, expressed through the act of a protest. We seem to think more like "Why are the cops here, we are protesting peacefully under our 1st amendment rights" and then everything goes to shit. While it seems Greece is in total chaos and is engaging in what looks like open warfare vs the state. Two different ends and different means to acquiring them. Saying that either are "Weak" is arrogant and dismissive of the real issues at hand.

Besides, we'll see how long Greece lasts with this kind of behavior. Total anarchy gets old real quick... and the police are only going to retaliate more heavily. The government will always trump the citizens because they own the monopoly on violence. But they seem plenty fine running their country into straight into the ground trying to destroy the government and the local police force with sticks and stones.

13. It's not the Greek protestors who're running Greece into the ground. Destroying the government is exactly the right response, unless you think that a government as mendacious and corrupt as Greece's stands a serious chance of reform, which the Greek people obviously don't, I think rightly.

Get over the idea that you can "change" power by asking it nicely. You can't.

I'm not saying that Greece and America are the same (or even anything like each other). What' I'm saying is that America is a country full of weak, complacent sheep, and Greece is not.

I agree with everything you say, except when you say that you don't believe America is weak compared to a country like this. I think we may be using the word "weak" in different senses.

Is America, as a nation-state, weak in comparison to Greece? Obviously not. Are the American people weak, when compared to the people of Greece? I think they pretty obvously are.

America is controlled by a cabal of corporate fatcats and military-industrial complex types who are quite brutal and effective people who have all the strength you'd ever need to run a global empire. The American people who live under their thumb are scarcely less ignorant than medieval peasantry.

14. The comparisons of OWS and the Greek riots are invalid regardless of how the people differ because the situations aren't the same. Greece is having a sovereign debt crisis, we aren't. Once the US has it's debt crisis, there will definitely be violent riots breaking out across the country. It will be interesting to see how it all plays out, hopefully liberty will reclaim her lost people.

15. #15 Tergale, May 5, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2012
    The problem is people are in a state of normalcy that has many with a "thing's aren't THAT bad" or "things look like they could be getting better." *shrug* attitude. The economy is still a focal point in the election but income inequality has dropped out of the conversation. The media continues to report on lowering unemployment buuuut.....

In April the number of people not in the labor force rose by 522,000 from 87,897,000 to 88,419,000. This is the highest on record. The flip side, and the reason why the unemployment dropped to 8.1% is that the labor force participation rate just dipped to a new 30 year low of 64.3%.

But hey at least unemployment is down right?

[​IMG]

Tie that in with
    ceo pay has risen 127 more than worker pay over last 30 years./

It's clear the math just isn't working out, just not too many are paying enough attention.

16. I agree with what you're saying. I'm just hesitant to admit weakness because I think of myself and I think of many others I have met out there. I was arrested for basically protesting and I didn't fight them either since these 3 cops put their hands on their guns or tasers and I wasn't about to die or get electricuted over free speech. I don't think the Greek Police use such excessive force, which is why their Protesters feel a sense of brazeness. I definately have dreams and fantasies of a real revolution happening someday. I just wish our country didn't have a police force who get away with murdering innocent unarmed people, literally. If American Police were more like European or South American Police we could really have some fun in the streets.

The only way I see riots breaking out is if something happens out in Los Angeles that really gets the gangs upset and they somehow scare the LAPD out of the district with firearms, like they did in April 1992. The only other way would be if something drastic happened like an Audit of the Federal Reserve (as Ron Paul is suggesting) and suddenly a bunch of corrupt corporations and banks sabotaged the economy overnight, or maybe a natural disaster like Katrina. The way I've been seein it, too many people are complacent with their house and car and tv shows in America to actually get organized about something. If I had one wish, i'd wish that every Bank, Corporation, and Legal Official in this country and abroad (if they had ties to the US) were audited, investigated, and prosecuted if found to be in volation of the Constitution or ethical business practices. So many fuckin people would be goin to prison dude...and not the usuals but the rich career white collar criminals.

17. The US debt crisis will be drastic. It's an event that's never happened before in our entire history and will change the lives of every person living here. Americans will react just like the Greek. Just think about allllllll those people living off the government in one way or another, and many of those people getting cut off overnight. There will be riots.

The only other way to keep spending levels up is to hyperinflate the currency, and that would lead to an even bigger crisis. There's no way out other than to responsibly tackle the problem now, but that would only happen if our next President is Dr. Paul. If it's not, our debt crisis will likely hit sometime during the next Presidential term.

18. I don't really want to disagree with you, but I don't know of any analysis of American political history which lends itself to the idea that Americans are capable of seriously resisting their government in large numbers at all.

If there's any one word which could define the American political culture, it's "consensus." It's about not rocking the boat. It's about "okay, the government may be up to no good (and let's not forget, you're only focusing on the negatives!), but don't just go around trying to change things."

Americans ask nicely when they want the government to change, and are always careful to not seem like they're too critical of the status quo, and extremely careful to make sure that everyone knows they wouldn't actually resist it even if they were, because that's just dangerous.

The Greeks aren't asking their government; they're telling them. With the sole exception of the civil war (and, let's face it, every country has one eventually), I don't think this is something that Americans have ever done, let alone are likely to do again.

When the debt crisis inevitably comes, people will just find new reasons to not ask hard questions or get too rambunctious, and go back to watching reality TV and not giving a fuck.

Plenty of words describe the American people. I don't think "rebellious" is one of them.

19. sadly im going to have to agree with you. Im disapointed to what weve turned into. We ask nicely to change something and when the answer is no (always is) we quit and go home.

20. If you think Americans are weak look up the Watt Riots.