Architecture Questions?

Discussion in 'The Artist's Corner' started by mufasaranger, Nov 26, 2013.

1. Hey, not too sure where I should post this. but Im want to going to school for architecture, and was wondering if any fellow blades are going to school for it, or are an architect, I could use some pointers, or some advice, or just to know really what goes on in your day-to-day work
    and what schools should i look at? I've looked into going to Boston U  Oregon U and UC berkeley.
    Anything is appreciated guys, thanks for checkin out my post!

2. #3 D A V E, Nov 28, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 28, 2013
    A philosophy/architecture question - What is your opinion of the use of sacred geometry and the golden ratio in important/religious/spiritual buildings?
    Do you think it is simply for aesthetic reasons or do you think there is a deeper meaning behind the repetition of these patterns throughout the history of architecture?

As for your questions, what kind of media are you interested in? Drawing, modelling or CAD designing buildings?
    General public architecture, private commissions such as houses and businesses?
    Sorry, I can't help with the colleges, I've been looking at Universities in Europe because I'm from the UK, but from what I've found -
    Popular architecture courses in the US -Cali poly tech Uni, UoC, Berkeley, Oregon all seem to have good teaching standards and pass rates.

3. Man, Ill put it like this, theres not enough nature incorporated, im a huge fan of atriums, natural lighting, natural woods, and when it comes to the architectural/ philosophy question; I think there is a much deeper meaning to the reason that certain buildings have looked relative and been built accordingly for centuries, because I mean think about it, before the world became today, we as a race i believe had much more touch with our roots and spirits, and i think it is great to still incorporate, say, pillars and columns for any sort of law building and, the large point crosses of a church, i think it is very important actually, because it may be tradition, it may just be what caught on. my beliefs or not.
    I would like to draw and model, over anything. im not the best at drawing, but i can make models like a motherfucker. i need to wok on my drawing, but it can be done. and actually, i was looking at berekeley and oregon, ahah
    I just really like the fact that, i will design a building for humans to be in, make sure its structurally safe, and make sure there are ways out incase something were to happen, I would like to one day create an iconic building in an iconic skyline, ie: new york, miami, chicago, seattle,
    I dont know about you man, but There are so many buoldings that just have a depressing corporate suit look, and they just make me feel like this building was built for some really evil people.
    I also understand that being an architect, im going to have to eventually design for a company that i dont agree with in any way shape or form, hah like walmart, but i may Have to, you know?  Im pretty excited about doing this though, sorry if what i said in the beginning didnt mae much sense, im sick with the flu and been awake for two days. haha

Yeah man forreal, I know exactly where you're coming from, and just a shot in the dark but I think natural/eco architecture is going to explode into a mad industry in the next couple of years.
    The traditional roots/basics of architecture haven't really/ probably won't ever change too drastically, pretty strong believer in upholding the traditions, and with all of the revival styles it kinda shows what goes around comes around.
    The corporate thing really annoys me too haha, millions of dollars being pumped into a big glass rectangle full of bankers.. makes me shiver.

Have you come across any of Zaha Hadid's work? Really contemporary, quite natural shapes, somewhat exaggerated though.

As for the modelling/drawing, I tend to shy away from CAD work because personally it feels like it's removing some of the speed and interaction with the work as you're creating it.. fair play it can help create sharper outcomes but is much more time consuming and labour intensive than a quick mock-up, or a sketch! Might just be me though :p
    The drawing thing is all goood, I tend to find that sketching is handy for initial ideas and such, but the modelling process is much more important because it helps visualise areas, space and the 3D forms of the buildings - it is also a lot easier to finalise drawings working direct from a model rather than plucking dimensions etc out of thin air and hoping it comes together.

Designing for a company seems like one of the most likely options after you've finished the course, but are your course times similar to the UK? I'm not sure, but most Uni's over here tend to have 6/7 year architecture degrees, plenty of time to find a company that you agree with or even the possibility of creating your own, don't get too hung up on that yet, got ages to work it out!

Hope it all goes well man, peeaaaace!  :smoke:

5. ahh finally someone knows what im trying to accomplish haha, i have and i love his work man
    Im not too sure about the time lengths here, i just got my life together, and got my GED after screwing up in high school, and decided im gonna shoot for the moon, ive never made an architectural model, ive just made doll houses for family, and some little military forts for a nephew of mine, and i mean, i went into a lot of detail, but its still not the same haha
    I know what you mean, i would rather keep the traditional method of a drawing board yknow? and i agree, some methods will never change, simply because well, they fucking work.
    i havent found amny other people aspiring to be an architect, and really have no idea what my next step is, except to take my exams to get into college, and then go from there. but thanks bud i appreciate it, how far into schooling areyou?

6. #7 D A V E, Dec 4, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2013
    Go for it mate! 
    Similar story to be honest, got decent GCSE and A-Level results but decided I wanted to further myself in the arts "rather than taking a 'proper' course like Business or Maths" (Quote from an old teacher  :mad: Fuckers, the lot of them!)

But yeah, I did a years foundation course so I went through like 8 subjects, fine art, graphic design, fashion, textiles, life drawing, ceramics, 3D Design and photography, kinda got a grounding in each of the areas but decided 3D was for me.

Currently about 3 months into a year of 3D Design, I think the architecture route is for me as it's always really interested me, but Product design comes a pretty close second :p
    Been looking into Joint honours degrees which is like a 2 part degree, so you choose 2 subjects,
    I'd choose Architecture as the mainstay, and either Maths or Philosophy as the secondary, depending on which would stand me in better stead. Results in maths were decent which comes in pretty handy with architecture but honestly I can't stand the fucking subject.. Choices choices..

peace :smoke: