Aquire IT assistance please Internet keeps timing out.

Discussion in 'Silicon (v)Alley' started by Exhazer, Apr 30, 2015.

1. #1 Exhazer, Apr 30, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2015
    EDIT: "Acquire"

How do you stop this from happening? i notice that little red x pop up in my Internet access icon, but it never kicks me offline, it just causes "freeze lag or whatever" for a second or 2. How do you stop this?

What i have done is, I have a antivirus and all that fancy stuff so did that. Nothing found, I reformatted completely last weekend, Seemed to be fine tell now. maybe ISP's end?

2. #2 TheWizardVillage, Apr 30, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2015
    Have you tried an online speedtest?
    Wepay for comcast 25mps but we only recieve 12mps.

We were getting 25mps but then we bought our own router instead of paying them $10 more a month
    to rent theres. A short time after we started using the new one they slowed down our internet speeds.
    I got a technician out here and they said they cant guarantee 25mps with wifi unless I have there router box..

Its total BS,we pay $30 amonth for internet only and they only give us half of our speed because we wont
    rent there box. The tech also said they slow down our service when streaming or downloading so we wont
    go over our 300gb per month data. Thats BS, we never get close to 300gb a month so really they just slow
    it down to save money on their behalf... its total bullshit. fuck comcast but only other option is $70 a month at&t

3. I would call your internet provider and talk to them.

4. Have you tried pulling the power cord from the the back of the router and plug back in after 10 seconds? Like someone said also run a speed test, go to www.speedtest.net

You can also ping Google.com or whatever and see if there's any packet loss

Also are you wired in or is this a wifi issue? If it's wifi have you tried moving your device closer to your router and see if there's any change.

Has this been an ongoing problem or did this just occur? There are honestly lots of reasons why your internet is acting up and we would need more details on your set up to really troubleshoot. You can call your isp but tech support is always a pain even if the tech is actually trying to be helpful.

Wraaaap the night around me, blanket of black on my back, I feel safe in the darkness...

5. I'm not clear on what the problem is.

"Little red X on your internet access icon"

What icon are you talking about? The wifi connection list icon?

6. +1 for above post

Screenshot this illusive 'little red X', your post isn't very specific

7. Do what I've done an invest in am engenius ecb350... huge range on wifi indoors never have an issue of dropping connection. My providers wifi was terrible before this

8. 1) open up a command prompt. hold the windows key + R and type CMD in the run prompt. the command prompt should show up. little black box with plain white text. we can type a multitude of commands to help identify problems with all kinds of stupid windows crap. and yes, windows crap is definitely stupid, i made money off of fixing t for over 20 years. good money actually. lots and lots of over time.

2) type the following command: ping www.google.com -t and then hit the enter key on your key board. a bunch of text will start scrolling down the window. this information is your Internet connection. it will tell you things like how fast your connection to a specific server is and how stable that connection is.

what we did and what it will tell us and why we care. well, why you care...eh, should care. you get the idea. 
    the command PING will send a small packet of information. kind of like saying "hello there server at google.com reply please." then the server at google.com says "well hello to you! here is your reply.". by adding a -T at the very end we tell your computer to repeat that over and over and over and over and over again.

by watching the numbers that scroll by we can tell if your connection to the server we are pinging is unstable {the numbers jump all over the place. going from high ping time to lower ping time and maybe even timing out. like bat shit crazy cattywompus monkey butt sex kind of numbers. you'll know it when you see it.} or if the connection to the server is stable and communicating correctly {the numbers for the most part remain around the same. a small jump isn't so bad nor is a large one every now and again.} 

what you want is something under 100 ping and you want that number or a number very close to that to consistently reappear over and over again as the ping command with the -t tells your PC to keep saying hello to the server and then asking for a reply from the server. the time it takes to get there is recorded as ping and is measured in milli seconds. 

so when you type  ping www.google.com -t   you send a request to a DNS server that your ISP has assigned to you. a DNS server is a phone book but for the internet. instead of you @ some phone number it is your PC @ some IP address. notice the info that shows up is an IP address followed by the bytes which is the chunk or size of the hello you sent and is then the size of the reply that the server is sending you back.  the time is how long it takes for a round trip, that is from you to them and then back to you again, in milli seconds {millionths of a second}. the TTL is Time To Live which means the chunk of data we send will only be around for so long. that way if it goes the wrong way or cant find the destination in a reasonable amount of time, you the sender, get a message stating so "destination host unreachable" or "connection timed out" mixer in with ping times is a sign of an unstable connection.

what all of this shit means is, if the numbers look good then your connection is good. we can then with reasonable certainty say that the problem resides in your PC. if the nummbers jump and bounce all over the place, going from high to low numbers is a sure sign that your connection is unstable. if the ping number remains the same or in a close proximity to the same numbers then you are good. and anything under 100 ping is a great connection. anything under 200 ping is a good connection and anything under 300 ping willl do in a pinch. your ISP should be giving you something under 100 ping consistently. if not then call them and threaten them with fire and doom like everyone else. they have come to expect and like it when you do that. you can tell by their robot like draw and complete lack of fucks they give. [​IMG]

post back any questions and ill try to get stoned enough to reply lol[​IMG]