aquarium water in bubble bucket instead of nutes?

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by cherno, Dec 18, 2011.

1. ok so i have a few aquariums and i read that the water is very nutritious for plants and was wondering if i used it for a bubble bucket would there be any problems.
    Have any of you done this?
    Some advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. People do it, but I think you'd have better results by simply buying proper nutrients. With aquarium water, you can't control how much of NPK you get, and I think it'll be really really high in nitrogen if I remember correctly.

3. There is a thread around here somewhere that a guy does grow just like you wanted to. Only problem I see would be the ?? Of stealth.

4. Do a search for "aquaponics."

If you do try this please post a journal. It would be really interesting to see how it goes. Maybe try this with just one plant to begin.

5. Has anyone done this yet?

Would aquarium water with no added chemicals make good nutes?

Plants grow in it
    [​IMG]

Thread from the dead.

6. it may keep them alive but no way could it be as good as nutrients that have been designed to be used with marijuana. it just wouldn't have the correct ratio of nutrients. if you want to go all organic your better off with soil. the point of hydro is so you can give the plants exactly what they want by measuring stuff out correctly. using fish waste will just have you guessing. you will be pretty much guaranteed to get some sort of nutrient deficiency or toxicity. working out the cause would be dam near impossible

7. I found several people online that use the water. The majority of people used it to water there variety of plants grown in soil.

I would think in advanced aquarium practice you could control what nutrients are in the water. By adding more/less fish, plants, rocks ect.

I think its a cool idea to experiment with if you have the time and space. 

8. aquaponic systems uses beneficial microbes ate the root zone to break down the waste of aquatic animals and chelates the salts into usable plant food. 
    the aquarium water would be filtered through a media guard or carbon filter, this removes unwanted salts and so forth.
    so for there to be enough usable waste in the water you would have to remove the filter. and recycle the water. 

9. Those plants are aquatic plants, they have evolved to live of fish waste. Marijuana hasn't. I'm not saying it will kill the plants, but getting the ratio of all the nutrients they need in the correct proportions is very unlikely. In contrast giving them a designated plant nutrient will very likely have the correct proportions

10. from what I have read its great for plants but maybe more for soil growing.