Aquaponics

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by Thizface, Mar 12, 2012.

1. #21 DaDankSkunk, Mar 15, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2012
    Ok. I'm going to give you guys an overview of what's required for aquaponics. It's not too difficult, it's similar to both hydroponics and organic soil in its own ways. Just a few more factors, and the requirement of time.

Why Aquaponics is the best
    It's like organic hydroponics, except better. The organic component of micro organisms is present, creating an easier and more efficient version of hydroponics, without the negatives of salt burn, TDS meters, expensive nutrients and the poisonous waste water. The benefits of plentiful oxygen and water, from hydroponics, is present. It was found that even for plants in soil, water, with dissolved oxygen is accepted at higher levels in plants than with water that has been sitting still without oxygen. Scientists found that not only was more water absorbed, but more nutrients were as well, a clear advantage over soil. In short, Aquaponics bests all others by the use of a constant supply of oxygen, water, and organic nutrients, facilitated by micro-organisms at the maximum rate of intake a plant wishes. Aquaponics is the way of the future my friends.

Aquaponics is made up of two main parts

1. A Fish tank
    2. Filter/Grow Bed

Fish tanks
    can go up to thousands of gallons, but the minimum volume recommended for a stable, long lasting and efficient system is 250. You can go smaller, but over time it won't be as stable as the larger systems and will commonly have nutrient/mineral deficiencies. Larger systems can run up to 5 years, as long as the pipes, pumps, air pumps, etc. are kept in order.

Filters are either swirl filters, or grow bed filters. Swirl filters are typically used for very large systems, 1000 gallons or more, and are used in DWC and NFT systems more often. More common are the grow bed filters, which typically contain hydroton or gravel, and also act as a grow bed for an ebb and flow. The bacteria live in the filter and convert ammonia into nitrite, then nitrate. Nitrites and ammonia are bad. Your fish will be killed excess levels of either one. Sources of ammonia and nitrate come from decomposition, urine, fish gills, poop, nutrients, kelp extract, compost, etc gross things. Nitrates are good for plants, and not as toxic to fish, but excess amounts will also kill or sicken the fish.

Water
    RO water is recommended, but a safe source of local water is the best. From a damn, river, etc, as long as it's clean and free of pollution. Water must be added to make up for evaporation and plant consumption. Chloramines and Chlorines are a big no.

The relationship between the fish tank and the Filter

The general rule for Aquaponics is a 1:1 ratio between your grow bed and fish tank volume, but it may be as much as 3:1. That means with a mature(highly developed bacterial colonies) system with a 300 gallon fish tank, you can have 900 gallons of hydroton. At this level, you must have a system with a maximum conversion rate. Your fish will grow at their maximum rate and will be fed at their maximum intake. That means The more you filter, the more bacteria, the less bad stuff, the happier the fish. Because of the absolute necessity of bacteria, grow beds are recommended to be at least 12" in height.

So now that you understand the two main parts of aquaponics, here are your three primary factors of influence, which dictate how well your system will perform.

Input: Fish food, then Fish poop, ammonia, supplements, compost teas

Conversion:
    Bacterial colonies, worms, snails, mollusks, other dertivores or species which break down nutrients into basic forms
    Output:Plants

In a math like formula, it's like this.

Input -> Output x Conversion Rate

So, your output is directly affected by the size and efficiency of bacteria, dertivores, etc. If your input rises too high with a low conversion rate, you could kill your fish. A high output can be maintained with a low input and an efficient conversion rate. This is where some of your soil knowledge comes in handy.

What you know about soil in relation to Aquaponics
    Soil is not very different from aquaponics. You can use compost teas, worms, worm castings, and use it in aquaponics(Just make sure it doesn't kill fish). Similar to soil, the bacteria is the single most important objectives, and a non chemical environment is essential, as well filtered source of water. The bacteria make nutrients available to the plants, some directly, others indirectly.

Supplements are also necessary in aquaponics. Iron is the most common deficiency in aquaponics systems, especially young ones. Many different organic supplements may be added to an aquaponics system, and should generally be the first thing introduced to a system before any fish are present. Be aware, some organic supplements used in soil may still kill fish, so that must be kept in mind.

Aquaponics needs time to warm up
    Aquaponics does not have any bacteria present when it is first constructed. Many aquaponics systems don't do their best until their 1 year mark. The first 6 months of the system are not as fast as hydroponics, however, there are very likely undiscovered methods of shortening this period of time. It has been claimed that aquaponics two times faster than hydroponics, while using a fraction of the water.

Hydroponics vs Aquaponics
    Hydroponics requires you to replace water and nutrients weekly due to nutrient imbalances. Aquaponics is a closed system, meaning water never leaves, it is only added in, it's organic, and you don't have salt burn. However, Aquaponics requires time, hydroponics is instant. It's similar to the disonance between chemical and organic soil. Anything that is used for hydroponics which isn't organic is not recommended. There aren't many people who have experimented with organic hydroponics equipment and aquaponics. If you are interested in adding Big Bloom and things like that, you'll have to test it yourself. I've added a few things in my system, like great white myco, diamond nectar, and silica blast without any problems. Things like pH up and down also might not be good. Aquaponics can be used as both a DWC, Ebb and Flow, and NFT, as long as a filter is present.

Raising Bacterial Culture
    You must raise the bacteria yourself, by introducing a source of ammonia. We measure the bacterial levels by their rate of consumption and excretion of the sources of: Ammonia, then nitrites, then nitrates. When ammonia and nitrities are at their lowest levels while maintaining a high level of nitrates, an aquaponics system is ready for fish.

The Fish
    Recommended stocking density is 1 pound of fish per 5 – 7 gallons of tank water (.5 kg per 20-26 liters) You have to keep the fish alive, and it's not that hard. Goldfish are the hardiest fish, but if you like to eat fish, you can grow all kinds. Some fish require colder temperatures, others warm temperatures. The environment generally determines your choice of fish. Along with fish, you can add any other fresh water creature which doesn't harbor any sort of disease. Some people grow mussels, along with their pearls, fresh water crab, snails, turtles, etc.

Fish Food
    Your source of fish food is not always organic. Fish food can come in the form of algae, vegetation, insects, grubs, worms, etc. Popular forms of food involve black soldier fly, worms, and duckweed, which can all be raised on your own. Less ideal choices involve fish store food and commercial feed.

The Limiting Factors

1. Max level of dissolved oxygen
    2. Stable temperature (bacteria like 70-90, but fish metabolism varies based on temp and species)
    3. pH: 6-7 (Aquaponics naturally goes down in pH, adding calcium bicarbonate keeps it at the right level)
    4. Minimum levels of Ammonia/Nitrite
    5. Proper levels of Nitrates (<100ppm)
    6. Fish Food
    7. micro nutrient and mineral supplementation

Youtube is filled with aquaponics. A great source, especially Murray Hallam. Australia is jumping all over Aquaponics, and the next Aquaponics conference will be in Denver. There is only one book on Aquaponics, by the one of the people behind the AeroGarden, and it's from Boulder (hm...? I wonder...). I forgot the author's name.

Any Questions?

2. ^^yeah ..but why ?^^

can do it easier ( and cheaper) in dirt with some ACTs

Wharf
    PS AeroGardens are a rip off.

3. #23 DaDankSkunk, Mar 15, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2012
    Aquaponics is a long-term benefit, rather than a short term like hydroponics/pots and soil. Simple as that. If you want a system that will last years with the highest cost-benefit, aquaponics is the way. If you just want to grow a dozen plants in the closet, hydroponics/pots and soil are better. Most Aquaponics growers agree, a year old system will grow bigger, better plants than a soil garden could produce.

My current grow is a soil grow, setting up an aquaponics isn't worth it for just a one time 5 plant grow. My aquaponics system is currently growing food and herbs to eat.

Aerogardens are a rip off to a knowledgeable person like yourself, but for my friend's mom who doesn't know shit about aeroponics, it makes the process from seed, to plant, to plate, a whole lot easier. You're paying for knowledge more than anything. My friend's mom made some amazing pesto sauce from her aerogarden basil just by turning a switch to the "basil and herbs" setting.

4. Why smoke pot? ;)

For me, I probably won't be doing aquaponics anytime soon if ever. But I am vastly intrigued by the idea and complete human designed eco systems and their potential applications. I think there is a wealth of knowledge as yet undiscovered with this methodology.

Why? Why to explore the world of course! Not everyone grows pot just because they want to smoke it. Some grow just because it's fascinating. :)

5. [quote name='"WeeDroid"']

Why smoke pot? ;)

For me, I probably won't be doing aquaponics anytime soon if ever. But I am vastly intrigued by the idea and complete human designed eco systems and their potential applications. I think there is a wealth of knowledge as yet undiscovered with this methodology.

Why? Why to explore the world of course! Not everyone grows pot just because they want to smoke it. Some grow just because it's fascinating. :)[/quote]

Id say most grow to smoke and then get sucked into this amazing plant.?

6. I got sucked into organic growing. Smoking pot is just a hobby. ;)

7. [quote name='"WeeDroid"']I got sucked into organic growing. Smoking pot is just a hobby. ;)[/quote]

What's better then being high and tending to plants. I swear I am going to start playing some Frank Sinatra in the grow room to help haha

Anyone see those "studies" on plant growth with different styles of music playing?

8. It too has many flaws that 'just dirt' doesn't have. Humidity, algae growth, smell, spills like the great flood, tank size and weight, take down and set up is a nightmare, fish tanks in the closet...lots of issues not prevalent with soil. We used guppies...lots of them, they too add another dimension, as they tend to develop their own set of symptoms. Having done both, dirt's preferable.

9. I sing to mine, they like me...or my co2!

10. My plants like it when I breath heavily on them.

Drooling not so much.

11. Yeah, no bodily excretions...I realize that's hard for some of you guys :D

Hahahahah. Sorry. I have boys :eek:

12. My body doesn't excrete. It exudes. :)

13. since i got a late start with seeing plants i have a weakness for them, and when i see shrubbery i tend to stand around staring and breathing heavily at them. this has it's pro's (co2/oxygen exchange) and it's con's (did i smoke too much?)...

14. [quote name='"SkunkPatronus"']Suck-based water and nutrient acquisition? If you suspend the pots above waterline, with the filler at the waterline, it capillary actions/wicks itself right up there. You really don't have to have power, wicks work very well.[/quote]

SP
    Fish didn't eat roots or did u use something for the capillary action?

15. [quote name='"MI Wolverine"']

It's a closed loop, the fish eat buds......[/quote]

Do we then smoke the fish?

16. mmm, smoked fish! :devious:

17. image-3200364036.jpg

My happiest plant.

18. [quote name='"SCMC"']
    Is anyone actually doing this who can show us a picture of how.[/quote]

sorry SCMC I don't think they've released the aquaponics pop up how to children's book yet... Maybe you should look for other avenues.

19. image-4022172170.jpg

Grow bed materials, frp board, plywood, 4x4 and 2x4's. Will be enough for 2 4x6 grow beds.