Aquaponic project

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by Thizface, Mar 12, 2012.

1. #81 Izzy Mandelbaum, Nov 17, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2012
    What do fire ants eat? - eXtension

EDIT: That article is pretty cool. Ants will even 'tend' aphids to harvest their dew.

2. Uh.....so, you run a kick ass aquaponics set up on your own fertile land in California. And you have a girlfriend who helps, and judging by her pic, has excellent taste in buds....which you guys produce yourselves.

You sir, are a lucky, lucky fella. Tip of my cap to ya.

3. back again, there are probably a number of reasons that particular plant is doing so much better than the other ones and i would venture to say it is not simply the ants making the difference
    since u described its habitat a bit id say any of these things could contribute significantly to the difference:
    shade which slows evaporation and helps prevent photo-sythetic saturation in some plants plus moderating temperatures and making it inhabitable to some very beneficial lifeforms such as bugs bacteria and beneficial mychorzial fungi

4. Hey Thiz i just got into aquaponics, goin to be doin my first indoor 10 gal setup for veggies . And i looked on here for good threads, you are truly an inspiration and wish i could live with you guys. haha I'll be back here soon, hopefully you pop back in soon.

Oh an if you had the baby already, congratulations!

5. Thanks for the support everybody, your supporting messages give me a great big smile every time i read them. Ive been told im as crazy as a homeless person with a crack pipe, so having positive comments also inspires me to so more.

Hagbone my girlfriend is a monster she is 13 days from delivery and she is still on her feet all day grooming animals and raising and feeding 20 puppies, labs and schnauzers. I always knew i would end up with a woman who spent time as a single mother because they always seem to be such strong women. She has taught me that working from home is the american dream.

6. ^ damn she sounds like a boss lol

7. So we had a big storm come in and we had a few days of rain. I went out to look at the plant with the ants, and 90% of the bumps that the ants have been farming are gone. And the branch i have in a box has had no change to the bumps. Im gonna guess they must be some kind of sap/sugar.

8. Sounds scale.

The ants "farm" these pests for their "honeydew" that the pest excrete.

9. image-497571536.jpg

So whatever it is they start as a little spot, the ants are always around them, then they grow to be reddish brown bumps and then fall off. The glands stayed at their same level of development after the branch was cut. So on my branch there are tons of spots at different stages of development.

Attached Files:

10. Damn! Nice article thanks a ton. Thats exactly what it looks like.

11. The scale insect ones.

12. The plant that had the scales is still thriving and alive. Be interesting to see how it develops.

13. Its so hot and dry here i didnt have any problem with mold.

14. As i see it thats a triumvirate of symbiotic relation(not counting me). So badass.

15. Im just glad to help

16. image-1242491006.jpg

Time to figure out the bell siphon.

Attached Files:

17. image-2204819698.jpg

14 goats we purchased last week. 13 female and one male to add to our 3/4 acre farm. Also worked out a deal with a neighbors to mow their lawn.

18. let me know how those goats work on such a small area
    im assuming that even with the neighbor's lawn (unless its very big) youre gonna be importing a lot of feed and their pen's gonna be a bit muddy/dusty
    do be careful of diseases and such, in smaller spaces like that i think it'll be tougher to control without lots of vaccination shots and shit

that being said, goats are awesome, got anyone in mind oyur gonna issue the 30 day challenge too? (drink a glass of unpastuerized milk every day for thirty days - in ALMOST every case allergies and asthma disappear - i got a few people i'd love to issue that too lol)