Aquaponic project

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by Thizface, Mar 12, 2012.

1. My aquaponics tank

Attached Files:

2. What you growing? A.P kicks ass! I have been designing a method of A.P for a little over two years now. And it worked pretty much from day one but a lot of learning the hard way for the fine tuning. I grow cannibis mostly in my A.P garden but have had success with pretty much everything I have put in it from veggies to house plants and orchids. I would like to hear more about what you plan to do.

3. Looks more like a tributary of the Erie Canal!

4. Wait! Let me get my backhoe ready! ;)

All kidding aside, thank you very much for sharing this with us. :)

5. Looking forward to more!

Sam

6. [quote name='"Air O"']What you growing? A.P kicks ass! I have been designing a method of A.P for a little over two years now. And it worked pretty much from day one but a lot of learning the hard way for the fine tuning. I grow cannibis mostly in my A.P garden but have had success with pretty much everything I have put in it from veggies to house plants and orchids. I would like to hear more about what you plan to do.[/quote]

Our current plan is to produce food to feed friends, family, and have a stand at the local farmers market. I'm thinking it may even be possible to integrate trees into the project.

As far as fish we will do steelhead trout, bass, crawdads, koi, and maybe even throw tilapia in there after everything else gets established.

This isn't going to be a grow for cannabis, but i thought people here would enjoy this.

7. I sure don't mind! Thank you very much; it is an interesting concept.

-OSUB

8. This face I think I speak for most of us in the organic forum when I say we like to garden more than just cannabis:D. You should have good results with most veggies. The only thing I would personally advise is if you want to grow tomatos and other big feeders especially ones that eat alot of Phospurus is to use rich organic soil not just pea gravel. I will post a link tonight to my grow journal that will explain how my A.P methoud works. Please keep us updated and share the experience you will gain from this project.

9. Going big. I like it. That's how it's done.

10. What resources did you utilize when researching aquaponics? I'm setting up a 3 tote system right now based on Murray Hallam's DIY DVD.

11. Would like to see what you are doing there Eco12. :)

12. This looks awesome! Excited to see your progress. :cool:

13. [quote name='"Eco12"']What resources did you utilize when researching aquaponics? I'm setting up a 3 tote system right now based on Murray Hallam's DIY DVD.[/quote]

I used mainly YouTube and I ordered the aquaponics book from the lady from boulder. I also used to Work in as a mechanic in a nuclear power plant so I have lots of training on fluid flow systems and pumps. After I decided to leave that field I began studying microbiology in college. Then became entrapped with organic growing from grasscity. Becoming a farmer has truly turned into a passion and I owe a lot of it to this forum.

14. [quote name='"Air O"']This face I think I speak for most of us in the organic forum when I say we like to garden more than just cannabis:D. You should have good results with most veggies. The only thing I would personally advise is if you want to grow tomatos and other big feeders especially ones that eat alot of Phospurus is to use rich organic soil not just pea gravel. I will post a link tonight to my grow journal that will explain how my A.P methoud works. Please keep us updated and share the experience you will gain from this project.[/quote]

Nice journal, and very cleaver the way you snuck your soil into the system. I can't wait till more people stop supporting factory farming and petro chemicals. I grew up in the San Joaquin valley in California, the aquafir is now down to 120ft sad stuff for the bread basket of the world.

15. My newest idea is to breed my own mealworms on lots of healthy grains and see if I can get the fish to eat them. If they wont then I will :).

16. Vermicomposting is a great way to feed fish! My worm bin is not quite big enough to totally feed my fish but its possible. Also one can grow duckweed watercrest and many other plants fish will eat. Im sure fish would love partially decomposed veggies from the vermi bin as well. I think one could feed ther fish just off a good sized worm bin

17. You might see if they will eat black soldier fly larvae. It's worth looking into...

18. [quote name='"Eco12"']You might see if they will eat black soldier fly larvae. It's worth looking into...[/quote]

Ive seen that as an option, but I wanted to try mealworms first because they are easy and also supposed to be a really healthy snack for people. 2 for 1.

19. mmmmmmmm.....yummy....:yummy:

Attached Files:

20. :hide: I will pass on the mealworm nachos! To each his own I guess lol. Make shure to research the fish you use well. An all mealworm or high protein diet can cause disease and health problens with some fish.