Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Apprentice Tokers' Guide on "How to roll a Joint" with A LOT of pictures

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by ElendGold, Aug 13, 2008.

1. #1 ElendGold, Aug 13, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2008
    Hi there GC users!
    In the past few weeks, an idea in my mind took form. I noticed a lot of people asking how to roll a joint, but didn't see any actual guide, with pictures.

So I've decided to make my own, using a technic I find extremely easy for the new joint roller!

It only takes 2-3 tries and your joint will look awesome! This is the basic joint!

Here is what you will need!

A. You obviously need the good stuff! Weed, Ganj, Maryjane, Pot, however you call it, grind that stuff up.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Some may ask, why should I get a grinder? Well, the're 2 main reasons I use one;
    -It's extremely easy and fast to use, you don't need no knife or a really flat surface (I've grinded up and rolled joints in my hat many many times ;) ). Also, it's a great way to collect Kief ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kief ),that can than be smoked!

B.You need some good Rolling Paper, in my case, good ol' Zig-Zag KutCorners (easier for beginners) (You'll see a picture of the pack later in the guide)

C. If you are like me and you like to have a filter, you need some good Thick Paper.
    [​IMG]

Now, we can start the rolling process!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Let's start;

First, let's make the "cut"
    (that piece of Thick Paper we talked about earlier), you want to take some good thick paper and cut about 1/8 of an inch, or a little less then a Centimeter, and about a finger length long, depending on the diameter of the joint you want to roll.

You want the cut to be a little smaller then the actual size of the joint, that way it will unwind a little bit, and the space created will allow more smoke to pass thru.

Using cisors makes a cleaner cut.
    [​IMG]

1.2 Roll it around your finger or around a lighter, just to give it's initial shape. And then roll it tightly. Save it for later, don't worry if it unrolls a bit, it's the initial rolling that is important.
    [​IMG]

----------

2. You want to hold the paper by one side, with your index, and the space left by your finger will be used for the "cut" (Most of the time)
    [​IMG]

----------

You want to take your grinded up Weed and sprinkle it evenly all along the paper, don't worry about the stuff falling off, we won't discard it. :smoke:
    [​IMG]

----------

4. Alright, here comes an important part when you are starting to roll! A secret kept within initiates! (Not really;)).
    You take the sprinkled joint, and you put it in between your thumb and index.
    [​IMG]

Then you take the Pack of Rolling Paper(Zig-Zag), and you press down on the Weed, to make it really compact. (One hand to hold the joint, the other to press down with the pack)
    [​IMG]

It should look something like this when pressed down. DON'T BE SCARED TO PRESS HARD. The paper is very sturdy, it won't break.
    [​IMG]

----------

5. Alright, here's the tougher part, you need to roll up the paper with your thumb, in a rolling up and down motion, makes the Weed inside spreaded out evenly (No pics here again, a motion is hard to capture!)
    And then take both your indexes, and put them on each side of the paper.
    [​IMG]

The paper needs to be on the edge of the Weed, where you can nearly see the green.
    [​IMG]

---------

Then you want to lick the glue, don't be scared, it can take quite a bit to make it wet.(Use the tip of your tongue!)

And then you want to BRING down the glue, in a rolling motion, down on the paper where the compacted weed is. (USE YOUR INDEXES)
    [​IMG]
    This is how it should look after being rolled.
    [​IMG]

----------

7. You then take that "cut" we did earlier,
    [​IMG]
    and you insert it at one of the end of the joint (I usually insert it where there's the most weed near the end, that way it kind of compacts it even more.)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    ---------

. After that, it's the easy part, just using a thin pointer or the ink stick inside a pen, you press the weed in, and then add some more, to make it longer and more compact. Once again, DON'T BE SCARED TO PUSH HARD, THE PAPER CAN TAKE IT!
    [​IMG]

Do this until it is nearly filled to the top, and don't forget, don't compact it too much at the end and nearly not near the cut, or else it might fall over or break.
    [​IMG]
    ---------

9. The final touch, twist it at the end to make it look cool, and BAM, you can blaze up!
    [​IMG]

Don't forget, you can make all kinds of joint with this technic, big, small, fat, thin!
    [​IMG]

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I sure hope this guide covered everything you wanted to know, and if anything you find to be unclear, leave a reply and I will try to fix it!

ElendGold

P.S. If you want to roll a joint and have a roach at the end, just don't use a cut, it's easier, but I find it less pleasurable.

P.S.S. I know I can make the pictures bigger, but I thought it might be a lot better for those who have a slower internet, or don't want to load 15 big ass pictures every time they open the thread, so just click on the pic ;-).

• Like Like x 1
  2. I'm surprised... but Bump.

3. #3 simpleton, Aug 13, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2008
    Very good, but one question:
    If you insert the roach after rolling, does it just unroll and expand to fit the end of the joint? Personally, I've never tried this method, I always roll with the roach already in the joint.
    Excellent guide though.

EDIT: I would also like to suggest that this is stickied. =)

Simpleton

4. Yes indeed, it is the idea that is unrolls. Because if you make it too tight, you won't be able to puff as much.

By doing it once or twice you'll get the hang just by looking at the joint as to how much paper you will need.

5. Might give it a go next time I'm rolling.

Simpleton

6. +rep great guide

7. Nice guide for noobies.

+Rep

8. I don't pack the weed with the carton. Personally, the easiest thing is to both squeeze the weed AND roll the paper with the weed inside back and forth between your fingers, so you end up compacting a round cylinder of powder in the paper. Then I complete the roll. No need for external objects to pack it and you get a perfectly round roll every time.

9. Indeed, that is right, but for any beginners, the motion of back and forth is extremely difficult (I remember when I started) You can do it, but the first couple results usually are bare able to be smoked. If you push with the pack of paper it already gives it a good initial shape.

So even tho you might not be able to do a good rolling motion afterwards, your joint is still looking great.

Elend.

10. Bump! More people can enjoy it!

11. nice guide. I've always used the dollar bill method, which if you guys dont know, is shaping the weed in a dollar bill, then after you get the nice cylinder of weed, you insert the paper and roll it upwith the dollar bill, its kinda like using one of those joint rollers i guess..

12. #12 Phased, Aug 17, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2008
    This is a great guide actually!

Center align everything and it will be perfect!

I recommend sticky.

Also, +rep!

EDIT:

You may want to consider adding different ways to roll joints and possibly different kinds of joints such as cross joints.

Or you could possibly just add this URL to your guide.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/DailySmoker

Or you could make an attempt at doing each of them yourself and make a super intricate guide.

Just some ideas to add on since the word "joint" has many different physical appearances!

13. Very Nice (borat voice)
    +rep sticky this shit

14. Well played, Elend. Good guide for the newbies of the rollin' bizzinizz.

I'd recommend including mentioning of using a grinder (by choice, of course) and explaining the added benefits.

Other than that, sick guide.

Oh yea, +rep.

15. Thanks to everyone for their feedback.

I will add a few of suggestions that were presented, and very soon I'll show a tutorial on how to roll a ''L'' joint, which is by far my favorite method. <

ElendGold

16. cone j's are alot easier to roll and better imo as the hits are uniform in potency throughout the joint.

That said, I hate Js. Taste horrible, harder to roll, cant keep em in your pocket without fuckin em up, and have a much higher tendency to go out mid joint.

Blunts FTW

17. Tastes horrible? Tendency to go out? Harder to roll?

You've never been with a real roller! Haha ;)

Elend.

18. +rep , nice tutorial

19. Thanks a lot, I try to modify it as much as I can with peoples feedback.

20. very useful for those wanting to learn the art of rolling joints