Applying to Jobs using a NickName? (Employer opinions appreciated)

Discussion in 'General' started by JuicyJaydon, Jul 21, 2015.

1. #1 JuicyJaydon, Jul 21, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2015
    Whats up everyone,
    I'm in a bit of a employment slump and have some question for basically anyone whos ever applied for a job, and hopefully, those employers out there.
    Background: I quit my job a month ago because of another opportunity. Well that fell through, and unfortunately I'm too proud/stubborn at the moment to ask for my job back. I've come across a potential problem. When I google search my name, the first link that comes up is a police report where I'm being charged for small drug poss (weed) and paraphernalia... These charges have yet to go on my record, still going to court for this... which I think is fucked.
    So finally my questions: 1. is it illegal/jeopardizing to apply to jobs using a first name abbreviation such as "Jay"?? The only concern I have is if they follow through on a background check, which is why I'm asking. 2. Would it seem fishy to employers if on applications my name was "Jay S...." and when I showed up and filled out legal forms I'd end up putting "Jaydon S..." on everything? 3. Do employers often google search a potential employee?
    Any weigh in on this from someone whos had a simaler experience would be appreciated, thanks.

2. In my field they aren't supposed to background check using facebook, Google etc. but that doesn't necessarily mean they wont. If you put down your SS# on a job application I don't see how they wouldn't find your full name. Also, if this is a job where driving is a requirement they can find expunged records through the DMV. I went through the ARD program and had to admit I lost my license X years ago for underage/possession.

3. You can't lie about your name on a job application. Why would you even ask if telling a white lie is going to be okay.

4. #4 jay719, Jul 21, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2015
    When they run a background check they will either use a copy of your liscense, social security card, or your finger prints depending on the job. Using a nickname will do no good. They also require id for the I-9 and will get your real name regardless of what you put on the app.

Lower paying jobs probably wont google you. The main risk is if you have a pending case show up on the background check.

5. For your first question , using Jay as your name isn't bad . I didn't out down my real full name on my resume since i go by my nickname which is an abbreviated version of my name.

For your second question : yes extremely fishy . You aren't at an AA meeting you're at a job application. Your last name will be required .

Third question: they never google'd me in my field but did use a background checking online program. I have a lot of bad history , most of which had been expunged but I still worried... and now i have a great job :)

6. Well obviously I would put my full last name on an application :p Just not gunna post it on here.

7. Because often it is! I always tell employers that "There's nothing I know of on my criminal record" :) Worked numerous times. Law enforcement lie all the time, why cant I?

8. Our teacher at school told us about a guy who lied about his past. They did a background check, found out he lied, and instantly tore up his application. He was their top pick out of the potential candidates until this happened. (The teacher knew this because the guy was his student, and the teacher talked to the employer afterwards.)

On the other hand, many students that do have minor criminal offences are hired without question. I suppose it depends a lot of the field and the employer, but my instructor basically said that if your honest, most employers don't make a big deal over past criminal records; it's in the past. So if they pull up your record and find marijuana charges (which they won't for you, but hypothetically-speaking), as long as you pass the drug test... who cares?

Anyway, these are his words. But if your honest and the rest of your resume looks good, I think you're fine.

9. Idk, being upfront and honest always seems to work for me.

10. depends.. corporations could get all pissy about that.

But if some dude wrote down a nickname... ya know what.. originally was gunna say i wouldnt care.. but im a current business owner and i actually would. Wouldnt completely reconsider you or anything.. but your moving in the pile from top to middle ya know?

And ive hired guys in the middle of the stack... happens. Just nicer to be at the top lol

11. After rereading your OP. Id definatly move you to the middle of the pack for "Further Research" I mean.. im what you could describe as a somewhat paranoid guy but id be wondering why this guy didnt just give me his full name in the first place.. like why hide it? 90% of Applicants put full names unless they put some dumbshit like i had a guy put his first name as "Bones" ya know?

12. You could put down little red riding hood as your name. But if its a legit job that takes out taxes you can't run from your social security #. Being honest is your best bet if they ask. I haven't applied for jobs in years. I've had the same job for 25 years. But the last time I applied anywhere all they asked for was felonies. Now because of my job there's certain job sites we go too that require a background checks. If the job your after does background checks honesty is the best policy. When I have had background checks done its not been done through Google. The general contractors we sub under get a criminal background check through a police department or an agency that handles back ground checks.

13. #13 Twee, Jul 22, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2015
    On social media, I use my gaelic name and then in jobs/college, I use my <del>slave</del> Anglicised English name. Both are correct because they are my birth names by right and they are both listed on my birth cert and passport [​IMG] don't suppose you have an irish/celtic surname do you..? Otherwise, everyone else here is correct.. you will have to put your full name.

14. I ended up telling an interviewer that I made a mistake on my 20th birthday, and want to move forward. Guess Royal, Sheldon, and erryone els with the honesty suggestion was right... cuz I will now be folding your towels. lol

15. Baller!!

Make that money. Save that money. Invest that money.

Need more people for GrassCity Fantasy Football League!!!

PM me or head over to the Fantasy Football thread in the Sports section!

16. Well, if you're applying for a legit job. You,have to use your full name. And it's a possession charge, unless you,had a gun or other hard drugs, i wouldn't worry too much about it. If they don't hire you, fuck em and move on. But when you go in for an interview be at your best, and show them you work better than straight edge sober kids.