Applied to be a bartender

Discussion in 'General' started by CaressaRosee, Nov 16, 2012.

1. So i've been thinking about this for awhile, about being a bartender..

I currently work at a grocery store, (part time) so i'll have 2 part time jobs. I think i'll rack in a lot of tips, just because people try too tip be at my work (mainly old guys :rolleyes:) and can't accept it. The most recent tip was 20 bucks and I couldn't accept it because there were cameras :(.

Anyway, I love the nightlife, I know those kind've scenes (used too be a go-go out of town for shows)..so I think i'd enjoy it and some of the people who waltz through.

I applied to two places today, I think they're going to recognize my last name, due to my parents when they were together were on a pool league, and both of them still go too those bars and know the people really well.

My father doesn't want me too, because well, its dangerous, I already get stalked at my job right now, i'm planning to go in (if I get hired) with a fake name, like how I do at my job right now.

Anyway, do you guys have any tips? On the interview at well? know anyone whos been or is a bartender? how do they like it?

happy toking :smoke:

2. What? By another employee or something? Why don't you file a complaint and document it or something.

Also, I don't understand how you can be stalked at work, let alone a grocery store where it's a confined area. Does the person hide behind the laundry detergent display and take Twit pics?

:cool:

But really, I'm just curious how you get stalked at work if you don't mind me asking :confused:

3. Why don't you apply to be a budtender?

Much cooler, healthier, safer.

4. Go for it!!! I was a bartender for a bit and drunk people pretty much throw their money at you lol and they buy you shots...and they say you gotta make the costumer happy so you always gotta take that shot! lol

5. I fucking loved bartending. Did it for a few years on and off at a number of places, both small pubs and busier club-like places. It's not all fun and games, but it can be a good time if the night is on point.

Just watch Cocktail, with Tom Cruise. That ought'a get you prepped.

6. [quote name='"SfaKngWeedTodEd"']

What? By another employee or something? Why don't you file a complaint and document it or something.

Also, I don't understand how you can be stalked at work, let alone a grocery store where it's a confined area. Does the person hide behind the laundry detergent display and take Twit pics?

:cool:

But really, I'm just curious how you get stalked at work if you don't mind me asking :confused:[/quote]

No not by another employee, they'd follow me around the store, stare at me, one even waited out in the parking lot.

There's been times where ppl would call and ask if I'm working, etc. They aren't aloud too give out your shifts..

I had too be walked out by grocery managers to my car for a week.

Never underestimate crazies

7. [quote name='"PeruvianDank"']Why don't you apply to be a budtender?

Much cooler, healthier, safer.[/quote]

Ahhaah I don't even drink, take a shot here n there but that's it.

But that'd be cool, but it wouldn't be safer cops,cops,cops! :eek:

8. I'm a bartender and I love it. The amount of different kinds of drinks you can make is pretty astounding. Mixology is really, really cool when you get into it.

9. My friend was a bartender and got in trouble for drinking on the job. It's usually frowned on.
    I'd rather get tips than get tipsy ;)

10. [quote name='"Jazzyj"']I'm a bartender and I love it. The amount of different kinds of drinks you can make is pretty astounding. Mixology is really, really cool when you get into it.[/quote]

Yeah, I hope they show me the basics though :p. I'm excited if I get it.

11. [quote name='"underahoneymoon"']My friend was a bartender and got in trouble for drinking on the job. It's usually frowned on.
    I'd rather get tips than get tipsy ;)[/quote]

Yeah for sure, I don't drink and only 19 so I'm not too worried about it :cool:

12. It's also illegal, haha.

Well if you don't have experience, they'd have to. There's way to much to know otherwise. Drink, a huge amount of terminology, techniques, etc... The pos system at my bar has recipes for a lot of drinks, which comes in really handy if you can't remember something. I'm guessing a lot of bars don't have that though, and even if they did, you can't rely on it. On a busy night, you need to be able to mix most popular drinks off the top of your head.

Good luck and I hope you get it! Try not to get your hopes up too much though...a lot of places will only hire you if you have previous bartending experience. I got hired on as a barback, and they started letting me bartend after I worked there a year or so. It depends on the kind of bar you applied to though. If its a place that mostly serves beer or simple highballs, you'll have a better chance.

13. Good luck with it! I took a few mixology and went to the fine arts school of bartending to take a few classes last summer, it was pretty cool! There are pro's and con's to it, you always have to keep your guard up, and do whats best for your customers and your safety. But if it's something you want to do, no one can stop you

Best of luck!

14. Yeah, I kind've figured on that one, but i'm planning to go in there after a day or two and talk to one of the people who owns it, i'm about 89% positive as soon as I say my last name and see my appearance, not too sound conceited or anything but i've been told every day, get random compliments- from chicks as well shocking right? That I look really good, have a good appearance, my hair etc. they'll show me the ropes or put me on another position. I have a low self-esteem still and self-conscious, I honestly don't understand how people think I look 'out standing', but whatever. Bars usually aim for girls with good appearances and charismatic is what i'm guessing..so thats another reason why i'm taking it up, and I caught a few guys glancing/staring when I was filling out the applications.... soooo I hope thats my advantage haahha

15. caressa will you be my... my internetz wife? before i saw this thread i saw one of your post and i thought i dont know this chick or what she remotely looks like.. but her name is so damn sexy! flame away gc flame away!