Apple's iPhones are made from slave labor, and those slaves kill themselves

Discussion in 'Pandora's Box' started by Swills, Aug 1, 2011.

1. This makes me want an iPhone even more.

But no seriously it's fucked up how everything is made in China. The last thing we need to be doing is funding the Chinese economy.

2. That's high for you? When ever I go to the clothing stores it is not uncommon to see tees selling around for that. On sale they'll go down to like $10ish or have some bundle option, buy 2 get 1 free. Or you could buy a 4 pack of tees, like Hanes or Fruit of the Loom for like $12

3. :laughing:

4. #44 Swills, Aug 2, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2011
    I can't dismiss the other part where the inhumane work conditions are described as a 'cage' or 'prison'. Yes, these places have high suicide rates. I know of Japanese suicide can be caused by guilt of failure. I don't think the Chinese are killing themselves for the same reasons. In fact, you may be comparing apples to oranges. modern day Japanese way of life is completely different than modern day China.

And I've learned a little more about this company. I think they have a dormitory for their workers and they also offer school. So with the good is the bad. I do wonder what life is like in those dorms though? Living in dorms that your employer owns is different that what I'm used to, that's for sure :laughing:

5. There's nothing to worry about, they're being replaced by robots. :smoke:

6. Sure, a phone made in the USA is all good in my book, but which phones are made in the USA? There's gotta be some out there I'm sure. And you're right about unions. They started out with good intentions but that has changed, although good works still come from presently. And I always heard garbage men make good money, which I'm all for. They're hauling garbage, they earned it :laughing:

7. You're quoting knowledge from a bad movie? Oh boy, ok, even if those stats are true, those dentists are not working in such hellish conditions. I would guess they would be sad is because no one likes the dentists, so movies and tv shows tells us?

In fact, I have an uncle who is a dentist, drives a Porsche, has a huge house and loves life. People in Seattle I hear kill themselves too. Maybe I should boycott Seattle as well?

8. For one t-shirt yes I feel that's high. I'll pay $10 for one. Buy 2 get 1 free is a moot point, just like bundles when talking about just one. But that's just me. I like to spend my cash on things better than $18 on one t-shirt. I guess that's why my suburban house is paid for, because I'm slumming in $7-$10 t-shirts.

9. [​IMG]
    Made in the US.

10. That was a joke...though it was also mentioned in Seinfeld too.
    Yup. That was basically my point. Those people in the iPhone factories may be slightly more prone to suicide, but it may not be because the factory's conditions suck but for other reasons entirely.

Apple is an American company. It provides jobs to Americans and the stock is a major part of many American's financial portfolios. The working conditions in China are a consequence of allowing such amazing technology to become cheap enough for nearly everyone to have.

11. dude mac aint cheap those fucks want 150-200% of what "equal" computers cost (correct me if im wrong), since they fuck with their asian workers they could sell them for less if they were willing to, but i guess steve needs all that money for turtle necks and '90s jeans/sneakers.

12. Or you can pay $18 for a really nice short-sleeved Button Down (Made in Jordan...weird) from Macy's which looks a heck of a lot nicer than some low-quality T from American Apparel. That's why American-made isn't popular. It's expensive or low-quality (or both) and choice is severly limited.

Minimum wage is $8/hr here in California which means a company has to sell a shirt every hour for every employee just to break even after taxes and expenses. That's why you'll be hard-pressed to find American-made goods which are designed for the lower-middle class American to purchase.

I can afford to buy only American (I don't...I like my Korean, Chinese and Jordanian-made goods) but I'd prefer to buy cheaper items and save the rest of the money for stocks, ETFs and mutual funds.

13. I completely agree. I was considering mentioning button down shirts as well, but really I'm a jeans and t-shirt guy. I only wear button shirts if my t0shirt wont conceal my pistol well enough. I too can afford American made, but really why should I bother when the same quality can be had for less and then that means I can pay for the true luxuries in life without having bills. The last thing I used credit for was my house, I paid it off in 10 years instead of 30, how? Simple I bought what was most affordable and paid double to triple toward my mortgage principal. Status isn't a name tag, status is knowing you're in a good financial position. He who dies with the most toys wins ;)

14. No one can deny this. Building forts is great, and a treefort just takes it one step further.

*begins blueprints for a zombie-fortified treefort*

Now I need a tree...

15. I stick with HTC

Had the one that slided portrait and landscape, the touch diamond, the touch pro 2, the Droid Eris, and now the Droid incredible

Idk if they're an American company or whatever

16. Nope, they're Korean...like most of the new innovators.

Compare the Hyundai Genesis to its American counterparts. It's faster, cheaper, better made and nicer than any American car in the same price range. Why would I buy an American car when I could get a better car for less that's made in South Korea?

17. #57 glazedKnuckles, Aug 3, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    Oh. I don't really care. I'm not the slave here

18. Would you own a slave if given the opportunity? After all, you're not the slave.

19. #59 glazedKnuckles, Aug 3, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    Nah...a butler or maid if anything

20. Good luck with that.