Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

appetite supressent

Discussion in 'Seasoned Marijuana Users' started by Santa Clause, Nov 14, 2008.

1. So like a year ago I got this book from the library called "The Science of Marijuana." It stated that cannabis is actually an appetite suppressent. And that studies shown over a long period of time people's body fat %'s were going down. Obviously what your eating has somethin to do with it.

But it is crazy to me, cause I really love me some food aswell as everyone else that I smoke with when were high.

I wanted to read this part of the book again, but I lost it. Imagine that.

Any of you knowledgable heads know any science about this?

2. Sorta, it's an appetite stimulant, but it also speeds up your metabolism which is why most habitual users tend to lose weight over a period of time (depending on what you eat of course)..

TG

3. yep, plus all the "weed side effects" go away whne your smokin daily for a long time.

4. exactly.

i never get hungry anymore, munchies is a myth from the past.

5. I believe most people think you are supposed to get the munchies when you're high and so they do get the munchies...along the lines of the placebo effect. I will get the munchies frequently, but usually when I am coming down not when I am "high."

6. you do when you first start smoking or don't smoke frequently.

But as i stated above for those who are frequent smokers you don't experience munchies.

7. I find that when I'm not high I don't eat as much as I used to. For instance, when I was younger I could go to this wing place and eat nearly 30 wings by myself and now I can maybe eat 15 before getting ultra full. However, if I'm high I can still eat around 30.

8. I've lost a shitload of weight since i started smoking regularily.

Like 30 lbs.

9. I've smoked for 5 or 6 years now, and I still get the munchies. There not as bad as they used to be. I try an keep lots of fruits around.

10. fixed.

11. Just for the record, i took a psycology class recently, and we went deeply into the topic of drugs.

Marijuana doesn't speed up your metabolism at all. If it did, it would be the smartest weight loss suppliment out there.

What happens is that, there are thc receptors in your brain as well as the cells lining your stomach. When you smoke, thc binds with these receptors in your brain, around your stomach and many other places in your body.

It is this interaction between the thc and the receptors around your stomach lining that causes the hunger.

I don't know the exact chemical process or what exactly it does, but my professor made it clear that marijuana doesn't speed up your metabolism, it stimulates the cells on your stomach lining that makes you want to eat.

12. i thought it slowed down the metabolism? huh. well i know with cannabis you get delayed gastric emptying...

i think the whole weed=weight loss thing comes from the fact that when you smoke it it gets rid of hunger pains. or you get too distracted to eat. the other day my husband and i were making pop tarts. and we forgot to get them from the toaster all 3 times. then i would walk by and be like "oh dude we forgot our pop tarts!" :p

13. see this is what i do and it's a damn good tip. when i get the munchies it's less about wanting to eat and more about wanting to feel different textures in my mouth. like a sensory thing. so i keep lots of apples and whole carrots in the place and if i end up eating like 5 apples... oh well. it's apples.

• Like Like x 1

14. I do that all the time. Especially with pizza rolls. I get them out, but I always forget to put them in the oven.

And that dood with psychology class, thanks for the word.
    That's cool you get to talk about drugs n stuff in your class.

15. :rolleyes: That's simply not true. It stimulates your hypothalamus, which is what controls hunger.

16. I have dropped 40 pounds (10-12% body fat) over 5 yrs.
    I still get munchies.
    I don't eat as much or overeat like I used to, partly because my focus has switched from food to weed.

I'm not sure I can call it a suppressant but it's doing something:rolleyes:

17. Thais nuts man. I'm so high my brains exploding and I just so happen to be in the drive thru at taco bell at 1:40am. Its the craziest idea, but I've actually lost weight over the last year.

18. This person speaks the truth. And the interesting part is that when you eat, your body produces hormones which induce feelings of fullness. They also reduce cannabinoid sensitivity in the brain, which is why eating mellows out your high.

19. What’s happening is that thc interferes with your ability to produce GHRELIN which is made in your stomach which basically tells you that your hungry. THC replaces ghrelin so your ability to make ghrelin drops off as thc replacing what the Ghrelin should do. So let your body detox (at least one month) and your natural ghrelin will begin production again. However if you want to continue to lose weight then stick to mj. But a costly way to diet!!
    MJ also increases your metabolism and increases your LDH (good fats).
    You’re welcome

20. What’s happening is that thc interferes with your ability to produce GHRELIN which is made in your stomach which basically tells you that your hungry. THC replaces ghrelin so your ability to make ghrelin drops off as thc replacing what the Ghrelin should do. So let your body detox (at least one month) and your natural ghrelin will begin production again. However if you want to continue to lose weight then stick to mj. But a costly way to diet!!
    MJ also increases your metabolism and increases your LDH (good fats).
    You’re welcome