Apparent down-grading in England?

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by Titch, Mar 28, 2012.

1. Hey guys

I heard on the 27th of Feb, marijuana was supposed to be downgraded in the UK for multiple reasons, but it was postponed to some time in August (I think).

Can anyone verify this for me please? :smoke:

2. send a email to my pal mactheman here at GC and ask him. he lives in the UK and might be able to tell you. Hope that helps.

3. I seriously hope this is true mate!

4. anyone know anything about this? I'd really like to know?

5. Pulled this from an article on CLEAR.

if the court decides that there is some special condition attached to the offence that overrides these guidelines, you can still face the wrath of a “hang ‘em and flog ‘em” judge, but it has to be something out of the ordinary for that to happen.

The new guidelines do seem pretty clear: If you are a small time quiet “hobby grower” not involved in any form of supply – especially to children – and no other offences are involved the guidelines for Production/Cultivation are:

Lesser role ‘if own operation, solely for own use (considering reasonableness of account in all the circumstances)’, 9 plants (domestic operation with assumed yield of 40g per plant): the sentence you can expect is in the range of a discharge or possibly a medium level community order.

For possession cases you can expect a discharge or smallish fine.

In addition, medical use of cannabis is now to be accepted as a mitigating factor again.

Now the interesting question is what these guidelines will do to the willingness of the Crown Prosecution Service to actually prosecute someone for a low level offence. It is to be hoped that it will be seen as not being a good use of public money to drag someone through an expensive trial only to result in a discharge. If that is the case, then the police won’t be interested either and if that happens we will truly have seen a worthwhile improvement. Only time will tell though, we’ll have to wait and see how this all pans out.

But make no mistake, this is a massive change in the threat posed by the prohibition law, so it’s worth at least half a cheer even before anything has happened and there’s a good chance it’ll be worth a whole cheer in a few months time when we see the results.

6. sounds like a step in the right direction, however it points out once again the problems associated with partial measures / decriminalization policies as opposed to full legalization for adult use.

7. I am from England guys, and it all sounds good that there may be some sort of headway in the most conservative slow nation on earth! I study politics with passion and therefore i regret to let you know that 80% of britains politicians still believe marijuana to be a harmful narcotic that should be kept illegal, as the prime minister stated with his mass intelect to the question should we be looking at legalizing the drug for medicinal purposes - 'no'. Fucking tory bastard! Remember that England is the most stuck up, posh and protective society on earth, and i would know, because i live around the naive lot all day, and it really can suck being a stoner in this country, not because of law, just because of bad looks :(. I think everywere else in Europe will legalize before we do.

8. I feel you man, but trust me some countries have it faaaaaar worse.