App Developers? Mac enthusiasts?

Discussion in 'Silicon (v)Alley' started by PrimeDime, Apr 19, 2012.

1. Hey guys, i am new here as of a few weeks ago. I really enjoy the website.

Wondering if there is anyone else here besides myself who does any application development, web development or graphics??

ALso, how many people here are using Mac???

2. I'm learning android application development / Java and I've done a good bit of web development. Not much of a Mac fan though. Too expensive for what you get...

3. What text editors are available for Mac, what are the impressions, advantages and results? I haven’t seen Word for a long time, but recently I needed text and signs filled up to the exact parameters of the text and font, and now I thought about what is more convenient.
    Word from the office to put the usual or is there an alternative?

4. I’m learning Flutter and using mac.

5. Definitely use Sublime Text and Visual Studio Code if using the Mac platform. I'm a software engineer and don't particularly like Macintosh but I cannot lie, they are pretty capable little development machines. If you're learning, I'd suggest with identifying what you'd like to eventually do/build. If it's something like a website, start learning HTML/CSS/Ruby on Rails/PHP (I loved PHP as a kid, it's where I really began as a developer)/web server software such as cPanel and its alternatives, and if you're looking to develop more-so applications whether it be desktop or mobile, start with Python. I develop mobile apps and refuse to use any development environment aside from Visual Studio Code, I am using my Windows 10 machine which I use and work on primarily, but VS Code is pretty identical between platforms (one of it's great strengths as its extremely difficult to follow guides/posts/readmes).

Macs actually are not near as overpriced for the hardware that you get nowadays compared to how they used to be, though they still are overpriced. Linus Tech Tips has a great video highlighting this. Yet still, using the Macintosh platform is akin to opening your anus to the overlords and practically inviting their whole hand for a fiddle. Macs don't offer anywhere near the customization or "down to the metal" configuration. For both reasons, I won't touch one. I don't fault anyone who uses them, or iPhones as they are extremely user-friendly but, to set my ego aside, Macs are entirely capable of a professional developer set-up and lend hand to several of my best subordinates. The only difference is those machines cannot run code unsigned code by Apple, though is an inconsequential matter when all you really need to run is OSX and it's installed apps.

6. Flutter is great. Though I did write and finish one of my first mobile apps entirely in it, It's best for late-stage prototyping and/or even proof-of-concept pieces. I just wish it was a bit more versatile as they say "you can still run native code" but doing so is a giant pain in not only the ass, but the dick as well.

7. What a year do you created first app in flutter? It’s important, because flutter very quickly changes.