Apocalypse/End times

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by BlazinStangs, Sep 9, 2011.

1. To everybody who is saying these are the end times and such, does the Bible not say that no man knows when he will return?

2. Historically, especially within the Judeo-Christian context; people have always thought the world was mere days or weeks from ending in cataclysm. A hilarious irony to our continued existence as a species.

3. The Bible does say that.

It's also glaringly clear that many of the Bible's "end time prophecies" were fueled by the political and social upheavals of the time: i.e. not really about the "end."

4. [quote name='"BlazinStangs"']To everybody who is saying these are the end times and such, does the Bible not say that no man knows when he will return?[/quote]

"But of that day and hour no one knows, not even the angels of heaven, nor the Son, but the Father alone."
    Matthew 24:36

This is why I don't take any end time prophecy seriously.

5. How do you feel about the idea that G-d will let the elect know when the end is coming, so that they can prepare?

This idea has started to gain more and more traction nowadays, and I can't exactly figure out why. Christ is supposed to come "as a thief in the night" and as far as I'm aware, thieves don't announce to those they aren't targeting that they're going to be doing some thieving soon.

6. Jesus' adolescent burglary career was notoriously unsuccessful. They carefully omitted it from the bible, along with his bout of alcohol poisoning.

This was all, of course, divinely revealed to me in meditations.

7. While omitted from the Bible proper, the gnostic Thomas likewise wrote about Jesus' adolescent shenanigans! Perhaps you are a meditative neo-Thomas ;)

Infancy Gospel of Thomas

8. [quote name='"nathann"']

How do you feel about the idea that G-d will let the elect know when the end is coming, so that they can prepare?

This idea has started to gain more and more traction nowadays, and I can't exactly figure out why. Christ is supposed to come "as a thief in the night" and as far as I'm aware, thieves don't announce to those they aren't targeting that they're going to be doing some thieving soon.[/quote]
    Yeah, there's a few Bible verses which imply that as truth. I haven't the conviction to believe Gods elect will know or will not know. I don't have a position on the matter and am not worried about it ya know?

9. The bible is full of plenty of contraindictions so I'm gonna assume something in Op's statement is wrong or possibly all of the statement is false.

10. I think in a sense were living in the end times right now. Not saying the world is coming to an end or that the Bible is right but the Bible talks about wars, diseases, jealousy, greed, hate, strange things being revealed,earthquakes,ect.... well if you go to other countries realities such as poverty, war, disease, famine,ect are happening every day and in our country to (jealousy, hate, greed).

i think we should look at them in a positive way. if were heading in that direction and that shit is already a reality we should make some positive changes for the earth and betterment of society! :smoke:

11. the "elect" would be ready anyhow because human death means nothing to them, they are ready for heaven, not ready to die. that's how I take that. No one, EVER, can predict the end times. Jesus said he doesn't even know, so how can someone else know? don't let fake christians fool you into thinking christianity is a hoax, no one knows. End of story.

12. The end is always near. :bongin:

\tBut there is a God in heaven that revealeth secrets,
    and maketh known to the king Nebuchadnezzar what shall be in the latter days.
    Thy dream, and the visions of thy head upon thy bed, are these;

Dan 2:28\t

[​IMG]

Thus he said,
    The fourth beast shall be the fourth kingdom upon earth,
    which shall be diverse from all kingdoms,
    and shall devour the whole earth,
    and shall tread it down, and break it in pieces.

Dan 7:23

4th Reich

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Dude, I love that Babylon thing. I'm Assyrian, and that just inflated my head to the size of the hindenburg (preboom) lol. I love seeing stuff like that, reminds me of the good ol days, the ones that no assyrian has ever even dreamed of being a part of again.

14. The problem with believing that "the end is neigh" is that it creates a laziness towards the betterment of humanity. If the end of the world was a few years away, people wouldn't try as hard. It's almost a double edge sword, in a sense that it's detrimental to humanity to believe that everything we have achieved was done in vain.

15. its true :hello: glad someone actually read the bible, instead of saying they hate gay people and cant read

the bible doesnt not actually give any evidence for when the world will end. its another ambiguous prophacy that will easily be filled by a number of likley eventual outcomes. like the birth of christ.

16. i honestly disagree with the Bible when it says no man can know the time or day. not saying some one knows it right now, but if you've ever looked in to the paranormal and the psychic it's crazy what you can be shown through visions... does it mean that these are 100% set in stone? no. but does that mean someone can't get a vision of what's going to happen and maybe even when? no. just because a book says the world is going to end doesn't mean it's going to. but if there is going to be some type of change that changes our lives as we know it i don't see why it would be impossible for someone to see it before it happens in a vision or dream.

17. If a "vision" is not set in stone, then it is not a vision. It is a dream/hallucination.

18. #18 Smoking 247, Sep 10, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2011

i don't see why. the future isn't set in stone, it has an infinite amount of possible outcomes , so if these people were having visions of the world ending, and granted what they are seeing is actually going to happen, i don't see why we wouldn't be able to change the outcome, IF it was caused by man.

19. In cases like that, I think you are right.

But that makes the test for a visionary non-existent. Anybody can blurt out that they had a vision of such and such, and when it doesn't come to pass they can just say "well, human intervention changed that one!"

You don't see why that's problematic?

20. no for sure, i think we just don't know enough about visions,dreams,trips, ect to say what it def is.

i like that point tho. the only thing you can really say to it is, if this person really did have a vision and it was going to happen and they got the message out widescale, like the Bible, and instead of people using for their advantage to scare people, lie, trick, ect... try to make posotives changes to avoid that shit and break the cycle then maybe it could have really changed the outcome.

but the thing to me is visions pretty much are ether generally (i say that loosely), when about the end of the world, ether : terrible, where there is fires everywere, blood in the streets, buildings collapsing, all out war, ect or amazing, where we have finally moved on to a time of peace, humans finally advancing and letting go of their materialistic ways, earth changing for the better ect... so to me ether one can be a real possibility, it's just choosing where we as a whole decide to go :smoke: