Apartment growing.

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Alfiee, Jan 24, 2009.

1. #1 Alfiee, Jan 24, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2009
    Got any tips? Ideas? Creations? I'm gonna try to build sort of a, disguise/housing unit, maybe something along the lines of an armoire, or a hutch of some kind...

I have about 2x2x6 to work with.

2. Way to break the mold.

3. I'm not trying to break the mold man, just trying to grow some good weed.:smoking:

4. I advise against growing in an apartment. In spite of what you might believe your lease says, your landlord can come in uninvited if he feels there is an emergency (a decision that is at his discretion). He has to have that right to protect his property. You also might have clauses in your lease that you don't realize give permission to maintenance crews, exterminators, hvac contractors, etc to enter for regular upkeep.

Even putting aside surprise entries, you have much less ability in a rented space to punch holes through walls and roofs to establish proper air circulation.

And even if you get all these things taken care of, an apartment usually means many neighbors quite close, so there is much greater potential for someone to pick up the odor of your grow.

It's just too risky.

5. Thanks for the advice man, I know you're right about the land owner's "easement" of sorts, but we do have a "no unannounced entry" clause in our lease that states that nobody except the lease holder can enter our unit without a 24 hour notice, and no maintenance personnel can enter without a lease holder present, or with consent from a lease holder. The smell is my biggest concern I plan on building a housing unit that will disguise the machinery, like a custom built "grow box" and I've seen odor control mechanisms in magazines, on the internet and such. I'm just planning on growing a couple plants, three at the most. If at any point I feel that the discretion of my operation is compromised, everything gets torched. Do you Still object?

6. If water should start pouring through your downstairs neighbour´s ceiling and he calls the fire department, they will be IN, believe me. Probably with cops in attendance.

7. ^That's exactly what I'm talking about. Or a cockroach infestation. Or your neighbor's cigarette starts a small fire. There are many possible scenarios in which the landlord could enter or someone else could. In addition, there could be a little notice in the monthly newsletter that they are changing furnace filters this month, that kind of thing.

The apartment is your domicile, so you do have some privacy rights, but the landlord/owner has property rights. Everyone who wants to grow in an apartment thinks they have it all figured out just like you do Alfiee, but I'm telling you it's risky.

8. i had no idea that apartment growing was that dangerous i do small time grows in my closet and it is much easier than that HPS bullshit

9. I grow in my own home. My brother however has been growin' it up in his apt. since I lit his spark of fascination about it about three years ago. He does small two to four plant grows in his closet right next to his hamper. I helped him build an adjustable light rack with a couple 65 watt compact CFLs mounted to it. It's suspended by a chain to the hanger pole and can be adjusted for height and a box fan pumping air through the closet from the other end is all he uses for circulation. I helped him with his first grow and from there he caught on and keeps at his hobby with pride. A blanket(Big Mars Volta Tapestry) over the window keeps light leaks(both out and in)and looky loo's at bay. The smell is pretty much contained to the room. And as for the management. We are medically approved to use cannabis in Cali and if anybody(especially law enforcement or the gosh darned owner of the property for that matter touches those things then we can sue for alot of reasons) Haven't had to yet though. I've had the neighbors waiting with about ten cops at my house before for my backyard plantas and I gave them the documents showed them my doctors office and county cards and that was that. It did cause me to have to put up razor wire along one wall because word travels like a mofo in the burbs. I have had people trying to glance back there every since. I put up a green house with a privacy sceen to curb that. all this long ass post I guess is to say if you want to grow bad enough you'll find a way. Good luck and look up Carbon Filters or in-line Scrub Filters.;)
    Victorias first day 035.jpg Arjan's ultra haze last year. Cops couldn't touch it! Life is good as a patient!

10. Well the idea is that hopefully this is where the disguise will come into play. I want to build a housing unit out of an armoire or cabinet or something, outfit it with an odor neutralizing mechanism, and put it in my closet. That way in the event of a surprise visit, my op will be disguised, and odor free.

11. ^^^^^ or pay the price!

Just wait 'till spring and do it somewhere outdoors!

12. On the contrary, I want to evoke upset and draw out reactions. If you have an argument, by all means, let's hear it. I want you to prove this idea totally unfeasible, because if it is I'd rather find out now than half way through the process. Thanks for the tips bro, all of this information will be useful.:smoke:

13. OP it is not totally unfeasible but incorporates an inherent amount of risk being paid for by the ultimate price:

Your freedom!

14. You guys have good taste ;)

I'm actually in the process of getting my card. I just moved to Oregon and it's not as easy to get it here as it is back in Cali. I have really bad anxiety and panic attacks daily, but unfortunately anxiety is not a qualifying condition in the state of Oregon, but I have physically strenuous job and it causes me chronic back pain, so I think I'm gonna get it for that. Once I have the card it will all be a question of space!

Thanks for the resources man, I appreciate it!

15. my friends girl's aunt has an apartment in this pretty nice complex and her landlord blazes so that would be your only way of growing in an apartment i would think.

16. Part of the process is calculating the risk, and that's where I'm at right now man, I haven't committed myself yet.

17. i buil one out of an old 4 drawer file cabinet only grew one plant but worked well i'm lucky now my land lord gave the seedsi'm growin in my lil closet ag project

18. LOL, that happened to me on Saturday. Only difference being it was water dripping from my ceiling from the upstairs neighbor(pretty sure they are not growing)! Luckily it was just a few drops, maybe a half cup of water that dripped from the top of the door frame in my bathroom and then stopped. It happened while I was in the middle of rebuilding my grow closet(gonna be sick btw). Even though I'm prop 215 I almost shit myself as I ran around the house throwing all grow related stuff in the closet. My landlord is super chill but I don't think he'd be too excited about all the 4" & 6" holes drilled through his walls.

The leak stopped and no one showed but the point is that you NEVER know. GL!

19. Exactly. All these apartment growers who say it's safe because they have never been busted don't know what they are talking about. All the ones who have been busted aren't available for comment, they are working a chain-gang right about now...

Getting away with something risky doesn't mean it never was risky. Driving without a seatbelt isn't safe just because you managed to not kill yourself. This time.

20. ^^^^^ Wise words!^^^^^