Anyone with Utopia Haze experience, need some reassurance

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by masterchief910, May 28, 2012.

1. I have a Utopia Haze in day 57 of flower (since switching to 12/12) as of these pics taken tonight. There are plenty of hairs coming in at all the nodes but no real signs of actual bud yet. I was just hoping someone had seen a Utopia Haze go this far into flower without budding yet. Everyone else's threads I've looked at showed them budding by now. And before someone screams "light leak" at me, take a look at the last picture. That is my Connie Chung which sits right next to Utopia on the same reservoir and has had everything done the same. There are no light leaks for the record. I have sat in there and let my eyes adjust to be sure.

A little background on the grow: 30 days vegged under 400w metal halide. Currently 57 days into 12/12 under 600w hps. Lucas Formula throughout. Regular weekly res. changes with zero root problems. Only negative I can think of is the humidity has been a little high for the last 2 or 3 weeks. 40's with the light off and 70's with it on.

Attached Files:

2. I think you got a bunky pheno of the Utopia Haze... i have grown it out, and it wasnt like that at all... It flowers long , but it should be putting on buds by now... Ive seen some of those weird problems out of some Barneys Farm beans occasionally... sucks..

I had a good pheno of Utopia Haze, its was some awesome sativa... But I think yours is a loss....

3. Most definitely not what I was hoping to hear :( it was growing so well until this point (despite the massive explosion in height). But at this point I'm just going to have to let it go and see what happens.

4. Are you saying it is 40 degrees? If so that is pretty cold.

Idk man, I mean haze's can take a long time, I had to wait on mine a while too, maybe not that long but pretty close.

5. The humidity is ranging from 40's to 70's. Temps are high 60's light off and high 80's light on.

6. [quote name='"masterchief910"']

The humidity is ranging from 40's to 70's. Temps are high 60's light off and high 80's light on.[/quote]

Oh i see, i was like no way his temps are that low and his plants still so healthy and green.

It may just be some of the long ass sativa genetics coming through, i wouldnt worry too much. Maybe go to 11/13 though, I hear it helps haze's and other sativa dominant plants a bit but couldnt test it myself. I believe it was dj short who said it, there is a 2 or 3 page breeding thread i posted in where a ton of info was dropped i'd post it for ya if i was on my computer, but yea maybe shorten the day a little.

7. I was reading up on that yesterday and already adjusted the timer to have the light come on 30 min later. I'll do that again tomorrow to get it to 11/13. Thanks for backing that info up. I wasn't too sure I wanted to try it at first because this will be my first time trying 11/13 but I figured it needed some kind of extra kick to get budding. Plus the logic seems sound behind shortening the day cycle a bit more towards harvest.

8. Good news! The first signs of bud are finally showing. The pics I tried to take didn't show what my eyes were seeing very well so it could just be my mind playing tricks on me. I don't think so though as this is not my first rodeo. I will post pics in the days to follow.

9. Here is the best pic I could get of her budding. This is from day 63 of 12/12.

Attached Files:

10. Should def be further along than that. What are your atmospheric conditions like?

11. Temps go from 70ish-85ish. Only real negative is the humidity has been high. 70+% and a couple nights at 80-83%. The last pic in the original post is of a plant sitting right next to the utopia haze that has experienced everything the same.

12. If both plants are receiving the same treatment than I would go with genetics. I wouldn't kill her off by any means, she could be a 110 day flowerer for all we know.

13. I have to hold out for that at this point because she is indeed flowering

14. Utopia Haze (Barney's) was the weirdest strain I've grown. I remember having a lot of doubts; things were different with flowering times and behavior than all other strains I've grown. However, the result was phenomenal, and well worth all the questions and research. A very trippy high!! I found that it was really picky about water ph, preferring 6.5 to 7. It did better with filtered Britta water, for one. Flowering time was 10 weeks with a UFO 90w LED. I suppose masterchief910 has found out by now, since his post was a couple of months ago, that the yield is pretty sweet too.