Anyone with some OS knowledge; can you help me?

Discussion in 'Silicon (v)Alley' started by DoctorReefer, Nov 27, 2013.

1. okay so I am learning abt process scheduling. (Long term short term and medium term)

I know the basics about all three and how they work, but what I want to know is the specifics about how they are implemented. 

Because the short term scheduler is fundamental for everything pretty much, I assume it is built into the OS and resides in main memory, Is this correct?

is the long term scheduler different? does it reside in secondary storage? how is it different from the short term scheduler, Like is the long term scheduler a separate set of software that gets built by a third party?

same question with medium term schedulers. 

I know this might not make that much sense, but if your familiar with this topic and can clear this up for me it would really be helpful. Its hard to find info on it on the internet because I don't know what to search for or where to look. its all ppts that say the same basic stuff. 

2. Additional question does anyone have any example of which types of systems make use of which schedulers. I know short term is pretty fundamental. but I also know timesharing systems have no use for a long term, but do they use a medium term.

What types of systems have a use for medium term schedulers?
    Also I read somewhere that long and medium term schedulers are combined a lot, is this true?

3. medium term scheduling is the one i have the most trouble finding info on