Anyone want to help with a grow room?

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by Reaper47336, Jan 29, 2011.

1. Just moved and am wanting to set up a new grow room. I have uploaded a paint picture of the dimensions of the room. The problems I need to figure out is how to vent and draw fresh air. The room is a closet in my bedroom. The only window i have in my bedroom is outside of the door but is in the very front of my apartment building where the parking lot is so ducts and fans aren't really an option. I am wanting to build a hydro setup, started one and was doing good but had to tear down due to some unforseen circumstances. Thanks for the input.

Attached Files:

2. can't see the numbers

3. My suggestion is you build an ebb and flow SCROG table 4' x 5' on the right side of the door. That will be your bloom side. use a mylar curtain or build a wall or something to keep the light from the rest of the space. A wall will be more secure of course.
    On the left side. Build a cabinet that has a space for mother plants, a space for cloning, and a space for veging. I would use T5s for veging. make the veg chamber 5' long and say 3 feet high, 2 feet deep. Each screen 2'x 2', that way you can put the screens 2 deep on your bloom table. Mother chamber and clone chamber on top of veg chamber.
    On the wall opposite the door, build another cabinet to house all of your tools, timers, controls, nutes, and what nots so things stay organized and clean. make it so you have a workspace table, so 36" tall.
    As far as fresh air, I wouldn't do it. Use a split air conditioner and co2. Add a carbon scrubber in there some where.

From start to finish your looking a a couple thousand. so if you can stage it you won't feel the hit in your wallet as bad. you can veg and flower with the same lights for a while. But, I can tell you that modifying a grow space while you are growing is a pain in the ass.

4. #4 Dirtbud, Jan 29, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2011
    I'd get a tent. save the headache. they already have vent holes and such and you can hook carbon filters to them. No need to light proof anything, no need to cut holes in walls. I just moved everything from a room to a tent. The room was not working as well as I thought it would when I dreamt it up:smoke: ;) :D

I wasted many trips to the hardware store, many man power hours working on cutting wood, drilling holes, painting, light proofing etc, etc, just to be unhappy with the result still.

bought a tent and finally looks like a real legit op. I could not be happier with how easy it makes everything. I have the xxl from htg so don't think tent means smaller area.

with a tent in there you could run 4 inch flexible ducting to your ac vents from behind dressers underneath beds etc etc. or at least have a much easier time filtering the smell and getting air exchanged. They also help to quiet fan and pump noise as well.

5. Fuck tents. IMO

I use a chamber that I put together.

No stink leaks and you can lean against it without falling through it. :eek:

Attached Files:

6. #6 Dirtbud, Jan 29, 2011

For the OP's reference if you don't mind, how much all that cost to build and about how much time involved? Would be good info for someone considering something similar. I found the room I built to cost about the same as a tent the same size and probably more expensive than a tent with man hours factored in as my time is not free.

7. #8 Dirtbud, Jan 29, 2011
    That is obviously a more solid option and probably is much better at quieting pumps and such than my tent. It's no wonder you don't like tents with skills like that :)

With that being said, I have seen nice nugs come out of tents, but don't go cheap on the brand. Get a reputable name if a tent is something your are pondering.

you could easily fit 2 in your closet and have one veg and one flower for perpetual growing. My idea is to hook a pc fan to ducting, and mount that on a floor vent cover to split the ac coming from the vent to my tent. the pc fan will ensure air and smell does not travel backwards through the ducting while the ac is not running. anyway just thought i'd share my recent experiences

:wave:

8. #9 jollyrancher1, Jan 29, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2011
    I am not into tents because they are flimsy and I am a klutz.

It is real embarrassing to get so stoned you fall through your tent when your showing off your grow, like a friend did.

Also, they leak stink.

I have seen great pot grown in the weirdest places so it isn't just the grow space that make the difference, that's for sure.

Actually there is nothing that makes noise inside the chamber (except the two fans, but they are on speed controls and timers).

The recirculating pump is external with the loudest thing being the chiller, but I Dynamatted the shit out of it, so it is fairly quiet.

9. hey there bro hows things ? saw your thread and thought would give you a shout for a little advice ! im growing a 35 plant multi strain grow in a atic space . made 1 side of the walls out of reflective material air vents every where carb filter intake of nice cool fresh air but very soon to be moving to a larger place with 2 rooms for grow space and will have 2000 watts hps and and 750 for the greening room and the 2000 in flower . im currently growing in soil but as going larger thinking should realy go hydro and wondering what would be the best system for that kind of grow and whether hydro or dirt to go for ? using proseeds from this grow to finance this next grow so want a system with least risk of going wrong !! lol choosing a nice reliable strain high yeilding nice taste and good enough strenth so eveen a bit of advice there to on what could be the best strain to go for !! cheers bro ! dirt

10. Don't know who you are referring to, but I would go hydro.

Soil grows are a mess and they take longer.

The caveat to hydro is that if something goes wrong, you don't have much time to fix it.

11. Is there an attic access in the top of the closet? if so you can just vent into the attic and passive intake will take care of the fresh air.

You want to get a PHRESH carbon filter, bigger than you think you need and an appropriate exhaust ran and a thermostatic controller (digital thermostat with outlet so you can plug stuff into it to run cool or heat).

Get yourself a piece of plywood from lowes and have them cut it to the same size as the access panel of your attic opening, that way you can save the original one and not screw it up. You'll need to cut a 6" diameter hole in the plywood and attach a 6" ducting joiner so you can attach your duct to it.

Run the duct from the filter to the fan to the newly made attic board. Plug the fan into the thermostatic controller and set it on 75.

For now crack your window open to draw cool outside air into the grow room, this summer put a window AC in that same window.

This should keep you in check.

12. There is no attic access, i will take some pictures here soon to see what everybody thinks

13. id go w/ the tent option. much easier to work with and you dont have to spend 3-$4,000. spend 5-$600 and get everything you need like this and keep your extra money for whatever you need it for:wave:

Attached Files:

14. What I'm really having problems with is how I'm going to get power other than the two outlets outside the closet. Getting fresh air in and hot air out. I was thinking of maybe getting one of those window fan units that have two fans and then cutting holes in the door of the closet and reversing one of the fans so one draws fresh air in and vise versa. If i go that route then the expended air will be pumped right outside the front of my apartment where the parking lot and my neighbors will be able to smell my delicious ladies. Any answers on those two problems would be greatly appreciated. hehe. Thanks guys and gals

15. Jolly what are your current yields for that particular cabinet?

16. Reaper it doesn't matter if you go with a tent or not, you're still going to have the exact same issues with temperature and circulation. Why compound matters by putting a box inside of a box?

You obviously don't want to be venting air out of the window for many reasons. That means you have a couple options.

Option 1: Don't bother bringing in fresh air or exhausting hot air.
    Get a Dehumidifier, Beefy size PHRESH carbon filter and 6 or 8" fan and get a fan speed controller. You will also need Co2 supplementation so you're going to need to go to a local place where they sell Kegs of beer and get a 20-40lb Co2 cylinder, then you're going to need a regulator so you can set it on slow release. Last but not least you're going to need a portable AC. The combination of the above components constitutes a sealed grow room. Option 1 is not cheap.

Option 2: Cut a 4 to 6" hole in the ceiling using a holesaw and drill and simply exhaust through a filter into the roof/attic. Patch it up before you move.

Option 3: Take the closet door off of the hinges and put a pandafilm door up instead, buy a 7' zipper door off of ebay and you got an instant air tight / light tight door. Add one 4 to 6" hole in the bottom left for intake and the bottom right for exhaust. I have actually done this and it works quite well.

17. #18 jollyrancher1, Jan 31, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2011
    The best yield I have had was just over 7 oz, a little over 1 oz per plant (W.W.).

That is roughly every 10 weeks.

The worst was 0 as the crop failed because of copper poisoning (I thought I was improving the air delivery).

18. thanks for that mate . aparantly in uk if cought with hydro set ups they hammer you !!! definetly go to prison in uk with hydro tables and told if in dirt the police do not see it as a high tech set up !! got all the lamping yesterday and 600 uk pounds worth of nutes so starting veg under metal halide!! thanks for your input very welcome!!! the grow is lsd tangarean dream and vanilla kush so should work out nice !! smoking bit a iceolator made today with my bubble bag system so well toasted at moment. peace and happy growing

19. I have a friend in England and he and I swap harvests once in awhile.

At least (?) he doesn't have to run a chiller.

Maybe you should become a heroin addict.

They treat those guys better then pot users there.