Anyone using an under current system?

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by janemba, Dec 3, 2010.

1. our next harvest is gonna be in one of these under current systems, i was wondering if anyone is using it or has heard anything about it?

2. there was a thread or journal about this not long ago... It looks similar to a hydrofarm bucket system... but way better... more water movement... its really cool... you could make your own much cheaper... less than half.. or more...

I would advise you to do it...

very cool.. ill keep an eye out for the thread... it had a video in it.. but it was not labeled "under current" at all... something else

keep us posted

3. we went to the manufactures and bought all the same parts. they only parts we couldnt get cheaper were the lids

4. i built mine out of 5) 5 gallon buckets. 1.5" pvc . 190gph pondmaster pump. and the grommets from bulkreefsupply.com for about $150. best money ever spent. all i do is add nutes and water to res and im done. the pump does the rest. i dont have anthing growing what so ever. and im talking 6ft monsters. the lids are having trouble holding up the plants!!!

5. nice... thats what i want to here. have u harvested yet? is so what was ur yield?
    what kind of lights, and nutrients?

6. I am stoned, some one please explain how this system works, I couldn't understand the sites reading. I am STOOPID right now.:D:eek::smoke:

7. #7 Tihspeed, Dec 3, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2010
    basically the buckets are tied to a controller bucket and a inline pond pump dumps the water back into the controller bucket...

with such large tubing(the white tubes) the water moves and mixes at a very fast rate...

its similar to the hydrofarm bucket 8 system.. but with a inline pump

i love it...

so the online store sells all the parts??? right from the website???? nfw.. im purchasing

edit.. cannot find the parts page.. please link if you can..

and heres a better picture
    http://cch2o.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=40

8. no we tracked everything down, it was a little work but we saved about $1000

9. #9 dsmreaper, Dec 3, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2010
    So I understand, in that pic you posted, which is better btw, is the water injected through the black lines into the white ones from that tank? next to the reservoir? or is it backwards?

After looking at it, If I understand how it works, One could definitely build that for way less, almost 900 for a 4 pot setup, damn!

OK, I GET IT NOW, lol, still kinda stoned, but this video helps
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4e8mK19mcPM[/ame]

I like that, I might make one of my own after I get my drip mastered, what are the major benefits of this type of system.

10. Faster nute mixes

more oxygen.

More stable ph

11. its mixing multiple hydroponic systems in one, and when using water as ur medium u get much faster growth (when done right) then u would any other hydroponic method ie. coco, rockwool drip or ebb and flow,

12. wow what a price...:hello:

yep, it could be built much cheaper. this might be our next project.

13. I'd like to hear fome people who have had RESULTS with this system. I've looked at for months, know where to source all of the parts, etc., but want to get past all the marketing bullshit and hear fom someone who has had a grwo in this system.

14. yeah i want to no what kind of weight people are pulling

15. Well don't hide the results, share them with the class.

16. i'd have to imagine weight would not be greater at all

the ease of the system would be the only bonus... less work mixing nutes and more turn around time for exchange of water...

the hydrofarm 8 is very similar but the exchange rate is so slow... like a complete exchange takes upwards of 4 hours... so the last bucket in the system pays the price... it has less air and lower concentrations of nutes for several days... and when using lucas and refreshing water once a week or so... that last plant is basically on life support...

this system the exchange rate is super crazy... the 13 model uses a 700 gph inline pond pump... with a system that only carrys 130 gallons... at full speed is exchanging the water in every bucket 5 times in one hour... now even at a 50% loss because of obstruction... this is still really good

im sold... all i have to do is figure out how to make the large white pipes fit to my buckets and im building one

17. Looks like its just CPVC, and some threaded fittings with silicone washers, the kind my ice probe uses to keep it water tight, that system looks really easy to reproduce, I still don't understand why they jack the prices up so much on systems like this when you can make them at the fraction of the cost, man If I ever open any kind of cannibusines, i will blow others out of the water, simply because While yest the point of a business is to make money, I will have my stuff marked low enough that I only make a small percentage on what I sell, I would do the same if a had a dispensary, especially if I grew it my self, after I get my methods on lock, I would sell things at(if labor and investment allows) things at half the price of others. I am in this for the love of what we can gain and to appreciate its use, not to make money, in fact I don't even plan to sell any of my grow, all personal or for close friends. I hate people that are out for profit. On one hand though, I am against currency but we are in a world where we can't really go without now, I am content to live off the land and only what I can do with my own two hands.

18. we picked up these grommets, with and indent on the outside diameter, so its grips both sides of the new hole in the bucket and creates a seal, and the pvc pipe is a tight fit.
    kinda like theses but not as thick

Attached Files:

19. any chance you can find a picture of the fitting you are talking about.. i know most of home depot and lowes by heart... those people know me there.. it scares me

the reason the price is so high is they offer all kinds of systems and bucket styles and i believe their system comes with a giant res if im not mistaken.. after shipping it still does not account for the price... even if all holes are pre-drilled and with proper instructions... its triple what it should be... but with the cost of materials on hand and website... and ready to ship materials... its understandable.. i know my time is worth that...

i see those at most local hydro shops... im looking for something more like a bulk head fitting.. but super large.. those grommets just pull out with enough force.. i'd rather that the side of my bucket break rather than the pvc just pull out... i would loose my mind if all the water in my system just fell out

20. yeah u can find 3" bulkhead fittings at pool supply store, but there like $50 a pop

Attached Files: