Anyone using a 150W HPS or similar in a Cabinet

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by kdspecial, Sep 12, 2011.

1. I want to perhaps use a HPS in my cab. I have found a good 150W one but I am super paranoid about the heat. I mean I don't want my nice Cab to go up in flames it is only 2x2x3h roughly.

T5s are good but I want to try HPS as I have been told many times the buds get much denser.

I will have good ventilation 4" to 6" 100-200 plus CFM vortex fan with a carbon scrubber on a vari speed controller.

I am just not sure how much heat it will create. the T5s dont make much heat at all. If a fire ever broke out it would be game over for my cab and my floor of my house above the box.

Anyone use these in small cabs... this is the light

Sunlight Supply, Inc - Horticulture, Lighting, and Indoor Gardening Wholesale - Sun System HPS 150 Grow Light Fixture

Any feed back is greatly appreciated.

kd

2. I'm using the exact same light in a 2' by 2' closet with no heat problems and is running slightly cooler than the ton of CFLs I had going. I am currently waiting on a second one I ordered last week. I don't regret purchasing the HPS and I would recommend it. You may or may not have a heat issue but if you do I'm sure it will be an easy fix and worth the work. It has made my girls explode and can't even be compared to the buds I grew under CFLs

3. I had mine in a 2x5 closet

4. Nice! Did it work well for you? How many plants did you have under it?

5. I only had one check out my signature its my current grow with my 150 Watt hps i love it but I'm going to upgrade

6. Yeah I'm upgrading to a second one to run along side it. There are some MH/HPS self ballasted lights. I think the self ballasted 400watt MH/HPS is $200

7. [quote name='"greenbudguy"']Yeah I'm upgrading to a second one to run along side it. There are some MH/HPS self ballasted lights. I think the self ballasted 400watt MH/HPS is $200[/quote]

sweet I need one maybe led lights I will decide after omdoggs grow

8. I've got a 150w hps running in a diy cool tube. Moving air through a carbon scrubber and the cool tube with a 4" inline fan i got from htg (fan and scrubber combo)...Temps at the canopy never exceed 85 degrees F without my a/c on. My grow cab is 24"x19"x48" (WxDxH). Temps are definietly cooler than the 10 cfls i used my last grow...

9. Yeah I had 350+Watts of CFLs and the one HPS has done so much more for my girls and runs cooler than the CFLs

10. i use 2 of them in a 2.5 x 4 x 5.5 w/ 4" exhaust fan probably ~200cfm. there is a temp difference of anywhere from 5F-10F. with 1 it was only about 5F... i put 1 plant under them but you could fit probably 2 decent sized ones or like 9 seedlings(per light) it all really depends on how much light you want on them...some people use 600w lights for 4 plants or so.

11. I'm waiting for my second one. Its said to be able to cover a 2' by 2' footprint. I'm growing in a 2' by 2' closet and they love it. I'm going to start a second one and just have 4 plants in there at a time

12. im not in the same grow dimensions as you but i use 150w hps and i agree the temps with hps are deff cooler than the cfl's!!

13. Nice! The HPS is a great find for micro growers

14. yeh i have a 2' x 3' scrog setup with 2 lights over it.. the rest of the space is for fans/ not used but she def. loves having 2 lights on her 2x3 canopy. going from cfls there wasnt much temp difference using the large 125w cfls which were 5k lumens.. the 150 is 16k lumens.. same wattage almost but almost 3x the light

also once switching lights there was new growth coming out of everywhere even on bare stems w/ leaves removed..and grew much faster

15. #15 kdspecial, Sep 13, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2011
    Wow thats good to know. I'm still hesitant. If I do use T5 bulbs I will be using a 4 bulb 2ft tray light only 96W or maybe two of them. I thought I could possibly put two of them up each side of the box (40") with no top light. But yeah that heat may be the same as the HPS.

the other down side I saw with an HPS in such a small height is the amount of space I was told I need to leave around the light. The guy at the store told me 4 inches above light and 8 inches below. Add 4 inches for the light fixture and my actual plant room has just been eaten up by the light change from T5 to HPS.

but those HPS nuggs is what i crave.....

Does anyone use the HPS for the veg stage? I know its not the ideal but does it take much longer? I wanted to Veg rooted cuttings for 1.5wks 2 max.

thanks for the advice guys/gals

kd

16. I'm using a 150w HPS in a Grow Box Space of 34in x 25in x 18in Actually, half of that because half is for veg.

I seem to be having pretty good results, but the temps are on the high side for me. I originally designed the box for use with LEDs, but the LEDs I bought were crap for flowering, so then I decided to go with a 150w HPS. If I have a carbon scrubber (<--DIY) attached, then the heat backs up inside a little.

Here is a link to my grow if you'd like to check it out.

http://forum.grasscity.com/indoor-m...-washmos-duel-chambered-grow-box-scratch.html

:smoke:

17. hey check out my 150 watt grow in my sig grew me 2 x 3ft tall plants

18. And check out greenbudguy's jillybean thread he has a 150 that he put in his 2x2' closet and it works great, he is also buying another one, they are the sun system 150watt self ballasted

19. #19 qualitypotlover, Sep 13, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2011
    QP's super critical hps/l.e.d grow <<< check out my grow its not really micro but im using 150w hps :D

20. shoulda just made it a link lol cuz i searched that and i cant find it