Anyone use inverters? Free electricty?

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by YuRmy, Jul 4, 2007.

1. Im no electrician, But as we all would like to consume less electricity I've pondered onto an idea I wondered if it "could" work. Here's the idea.

1x 12 volt dc generator 25 amp
    1x 6000 watt 25 amp inverter 12 volt inverts to 120 ac or 240 for the multi light user
    1x voltage regulator
    1x Car battery
    1x alternator

you would use the inverter to power 3-4 lights
    you would use the generator to power the inverter
    you would use the car battery to power the generator
    you would use a power source from the inverter to power the alternator which in turn
    powers the car battery keeping the generator running

now i understand this defies the laws of physics as it is perpetual energy. self contained in a way it doesnt rely on your wall sockets at all to power your garden, i also understand the initial starting of all power sources would draw full current and amp loads. could this somehow be powered intially from a high amp wall socket then switched over to perpetuate itself after the amp loads drop within means to power itself? I kind of have to assume im not the first guy to think up something like this. If it could be done why isnt it?

Think about it. free electricity. yea right.

Peace
    YuRmy

2. Dude.....I live miles from the closest power line .....28 miles in cable just to reach us up here..lol
    We make all of our own power up here....if something like that would work we all would be doing this.....up here we spend 1.000's on Solar,Genny,Battery Banks.....$4399.00...in batteries alone. at our house
    Makin yer' own power aint cheap :)
    Makin "Wood Gas" is the closest think to free power you will find..... :wave:

3. Actually i have a friend who lives in Emerald Triangle Northern Cali. We're talking backwoods shit. Come on my land i shoot you.. He too has to make his own power, has a battery room generators and solar paneling. I understand about the price costs. I don't mind the initial investment. I understand it might take a battery room for me to power that up too. Thats fine. The concept is once its running it "should" theoretically power itself? What I meant though, if it could be done, why isn't it? What's wrong with this idea? Anyone know. It can all be wired together in a fashion that amps nor wattage would be a issue. We all know we can get a generator that could be powered from your car right? ok. We all know inverter inverts power from dc to ac and can also be powered from 12 volt sockets. We all know a alternator could be used to change over the inverter power from 120 ac to 12 volt to recharge the battery that runs the generator that runs the inverter. LOL I know it's a completely wacked idea.

Why can't it work besides the FACT it's Illegal.

Anyone know the real reason. Is it amps? Is it watts, can energy not perpetuate because Laws of physics say so? There has to be a single one reason this can not work. Otherwise in theory, it'll power itself according to the drawings =)

Come on someone's gotta know!! Let's hear it..

Peace
    YuRmy

4. sooo... basicly... have a car battery... running an electric motor pullied to an alternater that is charging the battery? and use an inverter for the lights?

lol.. sounds like a high school science project

5. didn't Rube Goldburg build a machine like that

6. Too much energy would be lost as heat, and therefore, will not make it back to the start of the loop. Slowly the available energy will diminish and the alternator would slowly come to a stop...

If there was such a thing (currently) that would/could provide free or next to free electricity (at a cost that would be less than building your own personal nuclear plant in your back yard), we'd all know about it...

7. yeah i think he died that way also..:confused::smoke:

8. There is something that you can use to make that kind power and it will work for around 40 years before you have to replace it....Nuclear fuel rods....lol

9. LOL im not trying to power the East Coast.. Just my basement..

so i guess the problem is that the energy created would diminish. Is the alternator the only problem in this equation? If so is it not possible to wire the alternator to a wall socket as your "primary" power source from the wall.. I realize its no longer free electricity, but ill take a 12-36 amp alternator sucking down my power bill over 4 20 amp sockets anyday. So lets move away from perpetual energy and onto the idea that this can be powered from a alternate source using MUCH less electricity? Again powering the alternator isnt a problem and would be much more desired powering only that instead of 4 wall sockets. Could that work, would it lessen the burden?

Peace
    YuRmy

10. Build it and find out I guess...

Sounds like a good idea.

11. I sort of got this idea after seeing southpark. What you could do is setup like a rat style running device that powers the alternator, go to home depot and make use of a couple unemployed construction workers sitting in the parking lot.

12. But the problem with that is they are usually illegal...lol

13. Dude it WILL NOT WORK.

As someone said above, you lose ALWAYS lose energy to entropy, (which means available energy (electrical, kinetic, etc.) is converted to heat, so you can not make it to the start of the loop again.

14. Dude, growing pot is illegal lol.

15. i wonder if running an electric motor off the wall socket that is turning the alternater that is charging thae battery... which of course is hooked up to a inverter to the lights... would use less energy then jsut plugging the lights in..

the entire concept just dont work tho because of heat loss... and the idea is you can't excape the amount of power you use. No matter what, your gunna suck down the same if not more power, correct?

16. OK ......I will explain the closest thing to free power for the common man......

First Build a "Wood Gas Generator"
    It burns "Bio-mass" in a controlled environment to produce a "Fuel" that can be burned in any "Internal Combustion" engine (thru a modded carb)......producing 68% of the HP of Gasoline.:eek:

Now run that thru a small 4cylinder engine ....a Suzuki 1.3L works well.
    Run a belt to 2-5 GM 1 wire alts. to charge a battery bank. to run the inverters.....to run the lights.
    Also run a A/C compressor filling a tank for compressed air in the shop.
    Instead of runnin' a Radiator to cool it run the antifreeze thru your floors in the house...as radiant heating.
    Run an AC Generator behind the trans in 2nd gear making 4500 watts AC power whenever the fire is burning.
    Once its built its FREE :wave:
    Just add Bio-Mass:D

17. jsut a home built generater.. kidna... haha... would work good though... hope ya live in the booneys having that run all the time.

18. You have nooo idea....lol If you got nerve just ask Dr where he lives...lol

19. No, it won't power itself- not for long, anyway. There's friction losses in all your moving components and I^2R losses (current passing through any resistance produces heat) in all the voltage conversions. There's also inefficiencies in creating motion from magnetic repulsion (as happens in electric motors) and creating a current from mechanical work.

It's not illegal (where on earth did you get that idea?)- it's theoretically impossible!

There sure is a single reason... the losses in the system. You have overlooked the numerous mechanical and electrical losses as heat.

You will never get more energy out of a system than you put in it- and that's what you're expecting.

20. You've answered your own question.

Every electrical or mechanical device in the chain you propose will consume a certain amount of power due to mechanical friction or electrical resistance losses. Add a device, add more loss.

It's astonishing how many people don't get the idea about losses in perpetual motion or "free energy" systems. Otherwise very intelligent people have been ripped off to the tune of millions investing in scams, like the famous Carl Tilley free energy con.

I know a guy who is a very skilled machinist, who certainly DOES know about mechanical friction losses and DOES get the idea that electric motors, generators and cables running high-current devices get warm due to 'current squared * resistance' (I^2R in Ohm's Law) losses- but this joker still spent a lot of time trying to convince me that it's government/oil co. conspiracies keeping these things off the market... :rolleyes: ...until I told him to quit wasting my time. :devious:

Perpetual motion/free energy is a CON, every single time.