Anyone use Great White?

Discussion in 'Coco Coir' started by masterlights, Apr 13, 2011.

1. why would you give me an article that old? first of all it only talks about sativas from the get go when im growing indica for cancer patients who need the CBD. secondly when growing in coco you NEED to flush, because of the salt buildup that happens from typical watering (that is, if you are only watering, and not flooding for runoff, which is what i do with my veg tent)

im using fox farms nutrients, and the "big bloom" is made with earthworm castings and stuff, so now im going to scrutinize the bottle (or website) more and see if it says anything about fungi or bacteria

2. don't read the article if you don't want to. the reason i posted it is because i found it useful in regard for nutrient uptake. maybe if you bothered reading it you'd see the correlations between hemp grown for fiber and medicine, which there are many of. regarding flushing to remove nutrient from the bud before harvest:

"The hemp plant makes relatively heavy demands on the available nutrient resources and tends to exhaust the soil, but much of the nutrient material, taken from the soil is put back into it after the plants are cut.."

"During flowering and fruit formation, the demand for potassium and in particular for phosphorus is very high. The volume of nutrients assimilated reaches its peak at the beginning of maturity. After this, considerable quantities of nutrients are returned to the soil by the plant"

I guess there's not too much of a point repeating that, but what the heck. Your plants (yes, the medical ones) will return much of the nutrients they have utilized back into the ground when they reach maturity and their life cycle is done. There's nothing about flushing there because it's a 'necessity' invented by the synthetic fertilizer industry. i am not surprised if synthetic nutrients like fox farms cause salt build ups, requiring some expensive ''salt-leaching solution,'' I just hope you are making your nutrient choices based on the flavor and smoothness of the smoke, which you have decided is superior to organic soil amendments. oh and good luck finding the micro-organisms in FF bloom.

3. #63 derilicteman, Sep 9, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2011

i don't say this often, but maybe you should lay off of the pot dude...
    i didn't say i didn't read the article, rather i questioned why you thought it was relevant
    i didn't say im using organic media, im using pure coco and foxfarm's shitty nute line (compared to botanicare that is)
    you clearly don't get the synthetic game, and that's fine, but when you try to give someone advice you should know a bit about what they are asking. i flush my coco because i use man-made nutrients, the end.
    if you've got a problem with man-made nutes, that's, fine, but i also dont have nearly as many problems as your joke of a grow journal.

if you asked me about computers, and i gave you information on an apple 2, you'd be pissed, so take your bullshit elsewhere or actually read what people say. you answered exactly zero of my questions in my first post, and proceeded to feel entitled to act like a fucking moron.

i understand that some people don't know everything which is why you could have even done what "halfdome" did and merely suggest someone who is smarter than you for me to read up on.

i get it, you wanna feel important, but you aren't this isn't an ego game, i just want answers. not some douche trying to prove something i couldn't care less about.

4. IMO if you are using coco and watering properly this stuff is a waste. You wash it right out if you do a 20-30% runoff. It takes time for that stuff to work. I use it only in soil.

5. well for my coco i dont water until runoff ever and my plants are doing awsome.i only " flush" every couple weeks or so and the flush is just 1 gal of water per 3 gal pots so its nothing crazy.then i just add the great wite every couple weeks also.

6. What I started doing was buying Plant Success granular (been around forever and make it for the other companies). Then when I transplant and make the hole for the plant, line the whole area with the granuals, they don't wash away and it seems to work better.

7. You can put Mycorrhizae in a bottle and claim it is there. You can even see the spores under a scope but that does not mean that they are alive and effective.

Look at it this way, Mycorrhizae has been on this planet millions of years. In all that time this fungus has never adapted itself to live in water. It lives in soil.

When you mention thrive I assume you speak of superthrive? And that product does not contain Mycorrhizae.

8. Mycorrhizae is best applied to the root ball when transplanting. Resevoir application is not optimal.

9. No. I am saying that mycorrhizae will not survive in pure water/liquid. If it is in the soil/media attached to your plants roots it is fine, there is still airflow.

10. I got a free 1oz sample of great white that I have been using in my current grow on all of my plants except my headband clone, I used mykos.

I began by mixing 1 scoop of great white into 1 gallon of water, and used that same water to water the seedlings each time they needed a drink. After that gallon had been used I didnt add anymore great white to the plants.

Today I transplanted each of my seedlings into 3 gallon pots of pure coco coir. When I dug a hole to drop each plant into, I sprinkled about half a scoop all around the perimeter of the hole and sat the seedlings down into it so that the rootball was put in direct contact with the great white. Gave them a little drink and that was that.

Here are 2 of my seedlings roots after 2 weeks:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Plant Success does not make mycorrhizae for other companies. That is a fact.

Granular mycorrhizae is always the best form to get. That granule is what the fungus is cultured on. When you get a soluble version it is the granular milled up which has killed off a good percentage of the mycorrhizae in the process. Granular is much more potent and less expensive as well.

12. wow , somebody else actually uses Myko's. i love the shit.

13. heh, i got a free bag the first time I ever bought from a local hydro store.....another store didnt have any of the gear I came in to buy, so they gave me the great white for free as well. The headband clone is the only plant I used mykos on, the rest of my plants are using great white. The hb has grown quite a bit since i got it, but its not very healthy looking. I noticed quite a few issues with it after I transplanted it and added the mykos. so i dunno what to think about it.

14. I recant :p You seem to have a great deal of knowledge on the topic. What product would you recommend that would be on par (not particularly exactly) with Great White but is cheaper?

15. its definitely not the Mykos

16. no not superthrive Thrive it comes in 3 formulas "new plant,vegetable,and flower. and great white has a liquid from now to. so I ask again WHERE DID YOU GET UR INFO? I would like to know. thrive is made by Welcome to Alpha Bio Systems, Inc. thrive has nothing to do with superthrive. oh and I just contacted alpha bio systems and ask how their product can survive in liquid. so we will hear it from the horses mouth.

17. I get my info from being deeply involved in the world of mycorrhizae. There are many companies these days making these liquid products. They are banking on the fact that you the consumer are uneducated on the products and will just buy them because they say it is the latest greatest thing. And guess what? It is working to some degree.

From what I see on that link you provided to thrive all they are really claiming is bacteria. Look at almost any liquid myco product and it will always have a bunch of bacteria. If they put only mycorrhizae into that bottle you would have a completely useless product that would provide no results. And do you really think you are going to get a strait answer from these guys? I am interested to hear what they have to say.

These companies are marketing off of the hype of mycorrhizae but the actual results do not come from mycorrhizae.

18. Yeah, getting information straight from the horses mouth might not be the best solution because what company is gonna say "Well Mykos cant live in water but we are banking on the fact that nobody does any research so we can sell a ton." Highly unlikely.

19. #79 thesage3, Sep 22, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 24, 2011
    nice run around on ur answer. I'll let you know what they say.
    here it is

Great question! I spoke with our biologist and creator of THRIVE and he explained that the Mycorrhizal Fungi in THRIVE products is shipped as a spore – and spores can survive in water and soil!

Hope this helps!

Here is a link to our web site with more information on Mycorrhizae: http://www.usethrive.com/how-mycorrhizal-fungi-works/

no comment ?

• Like Like x 1
  20. Very interesting..... Of course the mycorrhizae comes to them in spore form. How else would you get it? Mycorrhizae spores do not live in water. They are AEROBIC microbes thus requiring oxygen to survive. Like I mentioned before you can put them into the liquid and bottle it, claim that it is in there on your label but it will not be alive. Its pretty funny to me that they claim to have talked to their Biologist who created the product and that is the answer you were given. You would like to think that when asking them a question such as the one you did they would give you a little more of an explanation. It is about what I expected. Listen I am not trying to have a battle with you. I was simply trying to give people a little bit of knowledge on mycorrhizae. It is a product that some companies have taken advantage of the fact that the consumer knows absolutely nothing about it. Also, some companies know nothing about it themselves and just toss it in a product because it is the cool new trend.