Anyone use any preventive pest repelent?

Discussion in 'Coco Coir' started by Dogma1102, May 30, 2018.

1. I would like to reuse my coco coir for a few grows. With that being said, I have looked at using some sort of top dressing for my plants. It seems I do not have a problem at the moment, but I have had gnat's before as mites and I know how terrible it can get. I'm thinking of a top dressing due to the fact I can just scrape off the top layer and reuse what's underneath. My opinion is Coco Coir is extremely overpriced for what it's worth. I'm honestly tired of spending the money on it.

2. So if your just top dressing get an oven tray or trays and let the soil dry out and stick it in the oven at 180° till the soil reaches 180° and tada if they were in the soil their dead now.

3. I've thought about doing that prior to reuse, but I'm curious how effective the top dress would be and if there is anything better. I do grow a large mint plant in my growing space, but I doubt that deters the gnats from landing on my ladies.

4. Fungus gnats are a nuisance more than anything. Their larvae are the root eaters. I learned a tip here on GC from @vostok . A piece of potato or frozen French fry on top of the soil will attract the larvae. Toss out the potato when covered and replace. I have used gnat nix before with ok results. But I also tried other things at the same time. I wasn't able to go as thick with it because my soil level was too high to the edge of the pot. That company makes other sizes too. Nice for adding aeration to your soil and doesn't float up like perlite. I only had them buggers once real bad for a few days last year. They lingered for a week or two. I have a few buzzing around now but aren't really an issue. I've used the nix and the smaller sized stuff topddressing my outdoor plants too. For slugs, caterpillars etc. Doesn't wash away or have to be reapplied like d.e. as long as you aren't watering with high pressure.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Do you have any pictures of what they look like on the french fries? You have peaked my interest!
    Damn it, I only have zesty fries in the freezer!:passing-joint:

6. No. Never took pics. And when the issue arose, my grow partner just changed the potato every day. I was away on vacation.

7. #7 Vee, May 30, 2018
    Last edited: May 30, 2018
    you forgot to mention

The French Fry trick is ...Fun ..lol

• Like Like x 1
  8. Why not do Hempy's? The perlite can easily be reused and no bugs.

9. Are you talking about using help baskets? I searched Hempys that’s all I found.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

10. Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

11. Just google Hempy Buckets and you'll find it. It's 3:1 perlite/vermiculite in a bucket with the drain hole 2" from the bottom - it works perfect and has been around for 10-15 years. Google it.

12. I might try this out after I move. Looks pretty interesting, but I’m not sure what the vermiculite is for? Looks like it could be done in straight perlite big chunk.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

13. Some people do use 100% perlite with great results. The original Hempy calls for perlite and vermiculite - the vermiculite holds moisture. This is the original thread - www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=98419&highlight=official+hempy . Good luck. :)