Anyone tried HLG 35, red supplement?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Or_Gro, Aug 14, 2018.

1. Way fucking overpriced that's what I think. Growmouse made a red light as well for 30 something and China can do it about 25 or cheaper.

2. #3 Or_Gro, Aug 14, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2018
    For Emerson effect, not for putting them to sleep = growmau... hlg 35 is red, deep red, far-red (for Emerson).

8A062855-AA89-4B2A-8B29-0E22AF57D5A6.jpeg

3. oh, so that knocks out one... hlg did the work so china for sure

4. RapidLED makes one with drivers for $109. It has deep red and far red

5. #6 Or_Gro, Aug 14, 2018
    Yep, looked at that too, but need 2 for emerson coverage in a 4x4, plus extra parts, plus need to build it. Kinda pricey for not seeing reviews.

Tho, if you are into dyi and you set it up correctly, you can use for both emerson and quick sleep modes, so might be worth it in that case if drives bigger colas on the emerson side.

Both have 18 leds and 2:1 deep:far-red; hlg has some 620nm, which with 680nm certainly useful even if emerson not big impact; rapidled only deep and far-red. [saw post somewhere that hlg says they are working on fixture/kit to do both emerson & sleep mode, but not out yet.]

Bought two of the hlg 35s. Will test em & post. If you get a ppfd meter at some point, and decide on the rapidleds, please test out ppfd for me.

I’ll be shooting for 65 DLI w CO2, taking into account the qbs and hlg 35s, ignoring DLI effect of uva-b and far-red sleeper.

How’s your new qbs treating you?

• Like Like x 1
  6. Wtf?

7. lmao getting to deep against hlg there.... hlg contracted with bava tech from Alibaba for their boards... they pay about $24 a 288 board and then sell them for $85. sure one would need to pay employees to do quality control and package items for shipment but a 60 dollar flip and they ship them out like hot cakes. plus for the Canadian fellows a qb288 costs about $130 from their Canadian site vs $63 from china. and china always has them in stock.

8. I couldn’t give a rip what they buy/sell them for!

I’m looking to maximize the quality of my grow, and don’t mind getting a quality build and paying a premium to the guys who design something that meets my needs.

If you want cheap, go for it dude! Seriously. Do what you need.

Maybe, if you have something useful as far as how these work or don’t, you could add it?

Gettin my drift?

• Like Like x 1
  9. It was such an easy build and the heat vs light output is huge for me. So huge, I just ordered the supplies to build two more.

A72812A1-7EA1-41C8-A265-BA76C69447B3.jpeg 7031E48E-F2BC-4B01-AB41-49771ECC722A.jpeg

10. #11 Or_Gro, Aug 15, 2018
    Looks great. 8 more boards? Looks like another 4 on the orange, the others w other plants?

Yeah, mine are so low temp i’m thinking i’ll have to add heat to optimize. Bet it helps on electric bill somewhat, too.

Any idea what pffd is at that height and dimmer setting? Looks like directly under light is responding well, and will fill in quicker than other side until you get the other bds installed.

Can you spin scrog?

11. The growth that you see turned up toward the light is from the 100 watt MH I used to supplement until my driver came in.
    I’m Sure this light will finish this plant off. I ordered (4) in 4000k and (4) in 3000k. Figured I would combine the 3000 k in flower and switch out some veg lights to the 4000k.
    Total watts in flower down to 480 from 886. Total watts in veg down to 240 watts from 520. Total watt savings of 686 watts. I may have to add a third set in flower but figured I would try this out for a GPW comparison

• Like Like x 1
  12. #13 Or_Gro, Aug 15, 2018
    Gotcha, w 4 vs 8 would be interesting; if you can produce similar results of 4 vs prev lights, big elec savings.

Also wonder how much more 4 w supplemental red:far red would do vs prev lights? The rapidleds and hgls are ~30w per strip, so still signif savings potential.

Btw, how come 4bds appear offset from center?

13. That’s kind of my plan. These boards are versatile if set up right. In this case I’ll have two four board qb120’s in 3000k and one four board qb120 in 4000k.

I can use the 4000k on one side of my 4x4 since I grow perpetually right now, and flower 4 weeks under there then move to 3000k to finish. The other 3000k setup would be used to finish the plant it currently flowers.

Or I can try two 3000k to replace the current lighting in my 4x4, and see if 480watts will replace 886watts. Then use the 4000k to replace veg fluorescent lighting.

If I had to, I could even mix spectrums in a square pattern and create a sweet veg and flower light for 1-2 plants.

If two of the four board setups fail to produce in my 4x4, I will add a third, or some of the supplemental bars in the center .

• Like Like x 1
  14. Yep, lots of possibilities.

15. Afterburners lit!

AB526190-73F3-4EAF-9F49-CCF70AA630DE.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. How's your grow going with those reds? The lights I'm buying come with ir 660nm. Hoping I'm making a good choice

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1