anyone think this is weird?

Discussion in 'General' started by Captainbasch420, Sep 22, 2011.

1. #1 Captainbasch420, Sep 22, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2011
    well.. i have this "disease"(its more of an ocd.) called "Trichotillomania".

basicly what it is, i pull out my hair, people that have it tend to pull their hair out in various places, such as their scalp or eyelashes. i pull out my eyebrows, so naturally, im bald up there. about as soon as they come in, ill pull them out, and i cant really stop it, because i dont even notice that im doing it.
    its basicly like nail biting, if your one of those people who bite their nails non stop, youll know what i mean.
    ive done it since i was prolly 10 or 11(im 18 now, turning 19 in a couple weeks(woo!)).
    kids made fun of me all throughout middle school. i ended up wearing my hair in my face for awhile to hide it(i stopped that thank goodness). but i wont get into that.
    im still pretty self concious about it though, ill wear a low hat when i go out so its harder to notice.

but yeah.
    basicly, i just want peoples mature opinions, no ones really ever given me a mature opinion about it before, its always been either rude, judgemental, or just plain mean.

im pretty sure im gonna get a few trolls in here, but it wont really matter, ive already heard every mean thing in the book on this subject, so trolls may as well leave, before thine art slayn by my mighty weapons.

2. Do you still do it? Is their a method to help people stop? I have severe nail biting (sometimes bite so far it hurts) so I do understand the uncontrollable urge you mention.

3. Yes, I do find that quite odd.

4. My brother had this but he got over it.

5. yea i still do it D:

theres some home remedies, like putting bandaids over them.

theres also more advanced medical methods ive read about, like behavioural therapy, and medication, but i dont agree with that stuff.

i try putting a bandana over them, so ill have to move it to get to them, and ill realize what im doing before i start.

6. When you're sitting down, try sitting on your hands. Baby steps, you need to train your body not to do it.

7. bite your nails instead :smoking:

8. I don't have much, but it's brand new! -

Dronabinol, a cannabinoid agonist, reduces hair pulling in trichotillomania: a pilot study. (abst – 2011)
    Unbound MEDLINE | Dronabinol, a cannabinoid agonist, reduces hair pulling in trichotillomania: a pilot study. PubMed Journal article abstract

Science: THC effective in trichotillomania symptoms in a pilot study (news – 2011)
    [FONT=&quot]International Association for Cannabis as Medicine

Since OCD and Tourettes are related, you may want to click that first link in my sig and check those sections out! Hope that helps!

Granny :wave:

[/FONT]

9. I find that quite weird, yes, but if you can't help it I won't judge you. But if it is like biting nails then you could easily stop. I used to bite my nails, but don't do it anymore. My fingers look so much better now. :p

10. I'm being absolutely serious about this:

What if you had your eyebrows lazered? It stops the problem at its root. You could always paint eyebrows on too

11. If i had that problem i would smoke like a gram every hour. That way you will be too high too even move your arms. I'm dead serious. I mean do you do it when your high too? Or only when your sober?

Also theres no treatment for it?

Honestly if i met someone like that i would probably laugh. It may be fucked up but i mean you don't have eyebrows bro.

You might also wanna look into getting some eyebrows tatted on. Its not really a big deal at all. And i wouldn't judge someone for it.

12. yea its wierd but who isnt? it dosent make you any less you.

13. i mean, the actual fact that you do it is wierd, yeah, but that doesn't make YOU wierd. everyone has their wierd things that they do. nobody in the world is actually "normal"

14. Control yourself mentally, meditate... Try to get in you head and learn to control your emotions/actions.... Medicine can't give you that ;)

15. hey i have trichotrillomania as well. never met any one else who had it. its very very hard to stop pulling but there are plenty of resources online. wearing gloves can help to

16. I don't think its weird, I knew someone that had it but got to a point where they didn't do it as much. I have wicked bad anxiety and my own problems so maybe that makes me more understanding? There are ways for treating anxiety and ocd without tons of medication, though sometimes it helps..I think smoking a really dank indica helps the most :D along with treatment and cbt/dbt.I don't know if you know what that is but it has helped me a lot.
    I do some stuff when I'm anxious too, my cheeks get swollen because I chew on them, I try not to but like have to. I also pick at my scalp..which is an awful habit. I would say its a compulsion no different from mine, or someone who needs to bit their fingernails.I suppose its "weird" to some people because it is not as common as someone who bites their fingernails. But its just a compulsion, there isn't a need to feel its weird or be embarrassed, but here are better ways to handle things besides relying on compulsions. I'm such a hypocryte lol, because I have a lot of compulsions but it doesn't mean I don't know its true

17. [quote name='".AcidTrip."']Control yourself mentally, meditate... Try to get in you head and learn to control your emotions/actions.... Medicine can't give you that ;)[/quote]

Best advice ever, seriously. Took me a while to learn this

18. I think i have a minor case of Trichotillomania dude

i pick the hairs off my knuckles, like i just cant stop once i start even if im doing something very important
    i just cnt stop but i like the pain from plucking the little hairs our

ive never met anyone else like me
    but glad im not alone

but im sorry to hear that though

19. Damn. Why do you do it? Or do you just not even know why?

Im not being judgmental, but Im just having a very hard time comprehending why you like pulling your hair out.

Im sure you've tried this, but everytime you reach for your eyebrows, just stop yourself, realize what your doing. Use ya willpower.

20. this, i bit my nails and even the skin around them up till i was about 15 and one day i was just like wtf am i doing and havent done it since. though i do nibble on the inside of my lip every now and then