Anyone that knows about cars?

Discussion in 'General' started by m18, Aug 30, 2012.

1. My AC just stopped working as I was sitting in the car, I got out and there was a green fluorescent like substance and a decent amount. I opened the hood and it was steaming a little, not sure what it is if it's a leak or something broke? The car still runs fine, anyone have any idea what it is and if so how much it will be to fix it?

2. I'm not a mechanic but I know a little bit, my guess would be one of your lines is leaking.

3. sounds like antifreeze

what kind of car do you have? I think the color is different for each

4. Don't know much about cars. You should check your coolant level.

5. Antifreeze. Taste it, is it sweet? :laughing:

6. If it's green it's coolant. don't run the car anymore unless you have too it may overheat which can ruin an engine in a couple of minutes. Check the coolant level see if it's low. Also keep your eye on the temp guage.

I gotta stress this can go from a small leak to you needing a new engine. Take it in.

7. I'd also go with antifreeze.
    Check you're coolant levels and keep an eye on it.

However I'm not to up on AC systems.
    Take it to a garage bro, coolant leaks suck balls and I hate trying to find them.

8. Antifreeze here too. Do NOT drive it. As someone above said, if enough leaks out you will overheat and ruin the engine.

9. did your ac stop working or start blowing hot air in? if it was blowing in hot air and with the leak its def a cooling issue. could be your water pump. how old is your car and have you ever replaced the water pump? and as everyone else has said dont drive it or even run it. you could end up with a costly engine replacement.

10. Ya guys I drove it to an autoshop less than a mile away and kept an eye on the temp gage the Bypass hose broke that feeds coolant to the engine, it's not that big of job should be about 175$ it's a pain to get to the parts alone are only 40$.

@BlazeLe just had my timing belt and water pump replaced past week

11. what kind of car do you have?

deff coolant problem, thermostat is probly bad and yeah i wouldnt drive until you find it out trust me brotha

12. Not to jack the thread but I also have a question. My cars ac/heater only works on 5. Just need a new fan? Lately my engines also been sounding like a jet engine.. Especially the faster I go or if I let off the gas. Somebody should start a thread where people can get advice on what's wrong with their cars

13. Sounds like antifreeze to me

Edit: didn't read till now shit I'm late lol

14. google it dumbass

15. that's antifreeze, which means your coolant is leaking.. there are two main places this is probable to happen..

1. the radiator TOP hose

2. The radiator return hose

the one on top is the hose that feeds coolant into the radiator, which is in the very front of the car, right behind the bumper, the bottom returns the water to the motor FROM the radiator... if it's one of these cables you can replace it yourself with a replacement hose from autozone or oreillys any auto parts store really.. they'll have a prebent hose to fit your make/model of vehicle..

other places it could be leaking include a busted radiator (you'd probably know, this happens when you hit something) or possibly the cap could have common off of the radiators reservoir..

dont drive it like this, it could overheat

16. is your car running hot?
    it sounds like antifreeze.

you could look at the hoses off your A/C system.
    it would be easy to tell if its leaking around it.

actually you can taste it.
    i went to school to be a mechanic for a year and we all tasted it as a lesson.

i mean the fresher it is the sweeter, but old antifreeze has a bitter bite to it.

its not gonna kill you from a dab of it, i wouldn't recommend chugging it though.

17. [quote name='"ckycampmember"']is your car running hot?
    it sounds like antifreeze.

you could look at the hoses off your A/C system.
    it would be easy to tell if its leaking around it.

actually you can taste it.
    i went to school to be a mechanic for a year and we all tasted it as a lesson.

i mean the fresher it is the sweeter, but old antifreeze has a bitter bite to it.

its not gonna kill you from a dab of it, i wouldn't recommend chugging it though.[/quote]

Its sweet :p Good for indentifying the liquid, bad if it isn't antifreeze :laughing:

Its also pretty good to put down animals. Its fucked up but make a 50/50 water/antifreeze mixture and put it in a water bowl. Painless and fast, and its sweet so they usually drink it all. Had to put down a dog once like this because he had horrible spinal degeneration and couldn't even walk on his own and got an infection in his intestines and his stomach was full of maggots. Also good for neighborhoods full of stray cats.