Anyone read books by Noam Chomsky

Discussion in 'The Bookshelf' started by junkheadrev, Jul 15, 2012.

1. #1 junkheadrev, Jul 15, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2012
    He is by far one of the most knowledgeable intellectuals on Foreign policy and will make you question all the bullshit you see in the media these days,if you don't already.
    Im currently reading "what we say goes".
    I encourage you to pick up one of his books.
    Everything he says is backed by sources.
    The book I'm reading now is on Amazon for less than $2 so I ordered a copy.
    A great and easy read.
    I wrote a huge thread but my phone turned off before i could post it and I don't feel like typing it all again.
    So here you go.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0805086714?ie=UTF8&ref_=aw_bottom_links&force-full-site=1
    [​IMG]

2. What's up!?

I love Noam Chomsky. My favorite books by him are Hegemony or Survival, and profit over people.

However, his work that has proven to be the most influential to me is this great essay. In a nutshell, he explains the different ways the mainstream medias and the ruling classes subconsciously try to bias/control us.

Here it is: Top 10 media manipulation strategies by Noam Chomsky

3. PreppyMarxist, have you read Manufacturing Consent? If you like his work on media manipulation, you'll definitely enjoy that one.

I like me some Chomsky - I've got the aforementioned, Hegemony or Survival, Problems of Knowledge and Freedom and The Chomsky Reader. Good stuff :smoke:

4. Hey spacedghost.

I actually haven't found the time to read Manufacturing Consent...I'm reading Open Veins of Latin America right now. I'll def put it in the waiting list!

5. Hey spacedghost.

I actually haven't found the time to read Manufacturing Consent...I'm reading Open Veins of Latin America right now. I'll def put it in the waiting list!

6. Oh snap! Even better! I just shipped up my copy of Open Veins... to a friend today. Such a good book...

And not to diverge from the topic: there's a great Chomsky book - Latin America: From Colonization to Globalization to follow it up with :smoke:

7. Im completely fluent in spanish. Galeano's prose in the original language is simply SUBLIME.
    I'd also suggest a book that is a little hard to find in english, but extremely well-written and thought provoking. It's called Pentagonism: Substitute of Imperialism, written by Juan Bosch.

8. I'll have to look for it, the title alone has my interest!

I would love to read it in the original language. Galeano is one of my favorites, his approach to presenting history is just so refreshing. I just picked up Guatemala: Occupied Country and can't wait to start it!

9. Got these yesterday
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Started reading Class Warfare earlier today.

He's an absolute don, his work on linguistics is amazing.

11. That's one boss haul. Hegemony is excellent.

12. I plan on getting around to him soon. I want to read Class Warfare, I've heard good things.

13. Class Warfare is brilliant. Cuts through all the bullshit.