Anyone play the Djembe?

Discussion in 'Clubs, DJ’s and Festivals' started by piggah, Jun 15, 2008.

1. Anyone play a djembe drum? I've been wanting to learn how to play a drum, and from my (newbie) research a djembe looks like a good portable drum...

So I was just wondering if anyone else plays and if anyone could point me towards a good place to buy a drum?

Also, how much should I be putting out for my first drum?

2. yo brotha, im a lil tripped out right now but a djembe is a sweet drum. i love all hand precusion. the thing is a standard size djembe is not easily protable. its usually played with a strap to hang the drum with the butt end stickin out between your legs. you can also find mini djembes online that are way portable and awsome in the same but i find the smaller ones harder to play because the head is so small my ends get all up in each others sapce ya know? but anywyas for your first drum check out like guitar center's wibe site, or jus go to some local music/dum store and look for either a mini or regular sized djembe dtween maybe 50-150 bucks.

3. I have a really ill small djembe that I bought at a legit store for $99 in NYC. My rhythm was sub-par, so I bought the djembe so that I could practice rhyhtm, and alas, it worked. Now I've been experimenting with recording it with a loop station and overdubbing it with my saxophone through a pedalboard.

Not really a fan of djembe circles,,in my experience, they usually consist of some lame neo-hippies who can't keep time.

4. djembe is awesome. A friend of a friend plays (hes from Africa, he plays that little 'plinky' instrument too, can't mind the name) and the beats are incredible. Go for it. I don't know how easy it'll be to teach yourself, or the availablility of a teacher, but go for it!

5. Thanks for the input.

I've got a friend who plays really well that I can get pointers from when I see him, but otherwise I'll be teaching myself. I spose with enough practice I'll at least become decent.

What should I look for to tell quality?

6. Preferrably, one that resembles this:

[​IMG]

Wood, not metal, animal skin instead of plastic.