Anyone play guitar?

Discussion in 'Music genres, Bands and Artists' started by WarlockDLX, Aug 28, 2006.

1. oh oh.. i play bass! i play bass!

:)

im still a n00b, but im starting off by learnin some james brown :)

2. In order to get incredible volume and tone a Tube amp is favorable. Solid State amps are good for practice and all, but Tube amps are meant for live performance.

What you need is a small tube amp combo. Judiging by bands youve named you like heavy distortion, check out the Peavey XXX and 6505 (formerly 5150). They come in 60 watt and 120 watt combos and are so incredibly loud you wont need to go past half on the volume, and even that will literally be deafening. They have incredible distortion aswell as a very usable clean. You wont need a POD if you go with a good tube amp, unless youre just going for the effects.

If you dont believe the whole 'tube amp louder than a solid state amp' well

One tube watt= 2.5 solid state watts.

So a a 5 watt tube amp will be louder than a 10 watt solid state amp, so on and so forth. Or better yet if you dont believe me, play one and play it next to a solid state amp of the same wattage and compare.

Please I BEG of you, please do your amp research. Youre barely less than 5 years into it, take it from someone whos been into it for longer than that.

3. yeah i respect that... aside from the arguments we have had over taste in music, i respect anyones opinion on quality of gear... that is one thing that can be debated over. although, its my opinion that peavy has gone to shit, wouldnt you say? i havent seen much from them in the store but the little practice amps, and those garbage $100 guitars... lol im a little sketchy on buying an amp that produces guitars as well.... seems like they are more low end now than they were back in the 80s... marshall however, seems like would be the best choice, never knew tube was louder than solid state, heard they SOUNDED better, but never knew the amps kicked out more solid wattage... considering the reviews ive heard about marshall, despite what the people have told me at guitar center, ill probably make my half stack a marshall just for the hell of it... i know the quality will be there, and from what you say so will the volume, but i will more than likely be running it through a pod, or something similar.. just for the fx... which is something i love toying with, different sounds and whatnot.. so thank you all for the input, gimme about 5 months and ill let you all know what i ended up buying :)

4. Its quite the opposite infact, Peavey hasnt gotten worst its just put more products out. Marshall however has definetely gone down the drain, the last good amp they put out was the VS series, after that the AVTs and MGs that follow are truly terrible. Peavey has never let me or anyone I know down, also check into B-52 tube amps.

5. will do... ive always liked the thought of peavey... like, how they were always the brand of choice in most the halls i saw... but i heard they "fell off" so-to-speak... so i will look into them more, you really think they are better than marshall?

6. New Peavey amps Vs. New Marshalls= Peavey Wins

Old Marshalls vs Old Peaveys= Marshall wins

7. hmmm... so i was right then, marshall has taken a dive lol i have no CLUE what the old shit was like... i mean anyone who has one, probably doesnt want anyone near it lol and all the new shit as you say is junk, and thats all ive played with... never seen a peavey at guitar center though, im going to have to ask around about getting a few in the store to test em out.

8. which b52....

this one?
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/B52-100W-4x12-Half-Stack?sku=481301

or this one
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/prod...Guitar-Amp-with-Tri-Mode-Rectifier?sku=481303

but those arent peavey.... somehow i was thinking the b52 was a model of peavey amp, what model peavey? i saw a few... but the only guitar head i saw that looked like it was worth something was the "joe satriani" signature edition.... and i dont like signature shit... sounds cheap when its got someones name on it lol

9. heres a question for ya though.... how do you feel about mixing amp heads and cabs? because i took a look more into the satriani edition... and it goes deeper than someone signing a contract to get paid on the sales of some generic amp... he actually helped them DESIGN it to fit what he wanted it to do... the reviews are astounding... many people love it, its kinda pricey, but i can work em down ;-) the guitar i got was tagged at $499... i bought it for $290, the amp? $399.. got that for $250.. cables? $75... got em for $15 lol so im sure i can work the price down on one to make it a reasonable purchase... but, all the cabs they have listed show signs of complaint... people complaining that it loses tone at high volume, or sensitivity... just random complaints... and thats not a good sign! so... i was wondering what the do's and don'ts are for mixing a good amp, with a good cab...

10. A halfstack is extremely excessive. Not only will it be a huge hassle to lug around, but you wont even be able to turn it up past halfway, thus never allowing you to get the Power tubes to saturate and give you that great tube amp sound.

In the Peavey line check into the XXX and 5150.

You should be looking at items like these...

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-Triple-XXX-Super-40-EFX-Combo?sku=481394X

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-6505-212-Combo-2x12-Guitar-Amp?sku=481433

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ashdown-Fallen-Angel-40-DSP-Guitar-Combo?sku=485043

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/prod...mbo-Amp-with-Celestion-Vintage-30s?sku=481308

11. JSX has to wet of a tone for me

Anyways, what you want is quality speakers that dont break up at high volumes. Make sure the OHMS in the head and cab match.

12. lol that is something i didnt take into consideration from the reviews... people not doing that kind of research... but the question is, are the speakers in the peaveys good enough to handle high volumes? because i really dont wanna spend $400 on a single 4x12 cab and CHANGE the damn speakers!!! LOL all im really PAYIN for is the speakers... ya know? that and the name across the front.... lol too bad they dont sell open boxes eh? but yeah... i need a setup that is buyable from the gate with what i need... i can always take the nameplate off if need be... but id rather just buy a good setup from the start...

as for the triple x... i definately like the style :) nice little graphics on the front lol not something you see everyday... the reviews for the triple xxx are pretty good... a few people had nothing good to say about it lol but i guess you cant impress everyone... just like the JSX, all i read were good reviews... but you say its shit lol so, i guess its all in the person... considering how critical you are, id have to give the triple x the benifit of the doubt at the least... so ill definately be looking into it... some of the people that reviewed the head said they bought the cab with it, and its great... so maybe thats what i need :)

Edited to add: one thing though, a few people said something about the triple x not having as much capability for volume as the 6505... any reason for that? or just more improper guaging of resistance between amp and speaker?

13. Heres how I found it goes with Peavey amps

6505- Balls to the wall distortion, it used to be called the 5150 when EVH still had a contract with Peavey and this is the standard when it comes to high gain amps.

XXX- Brighter distortion with more tone options.

JSX- Less distortion, better overdrive and clean.

14. 5150... its just that damn crazy... LOL j/k

so its a choice between the xxx and the 6506.... i hear good and bad from both sides... some say the 6505 is good for its heavy distortion and loud volume, and that the xxx is better for versatility and a cleaner tone.. im stuck.... :metal: lol

15. i just now looked at those bro... THEIR FUCKING COMBO PRACTICE AMPS!!! LOL thats the LAST thing i need...another fucking combo.. i dont care HOW loud it is, whatever i buy is going to have minimum 4 speakers, and a separate head... there is no match to that by any combo... and if there is, i still wouldnt buy it LOL i need a head/cab setup... as we have been talking about. i want something i can roll outside and piss off the neighbors if i so chose to do so.. if its loud enough to do that, its loud enough to do what i need it to do... which is completely drown out my drummer friend lol the guy is a LOUD ass drummer... this thing does the job... but damn near maxed out... and i dont like that... so, i need more juice.

16. These are in no way, shape, or form practice amps.

These are incredibly loud amps that wont need to be pushed passed halfway to completely deafen you.

You really never have played a tube amp have you?

These combos will be louder than any solid state halfstack you get. Guaranteed.

But do as you please. Like I said, you still have that 14 year old mindset when it comes to gear. It might sound like im insulting you, but within a few years time youll see how terrible that ideaoligy is.

But go ahead and learn by mistakes, I just wish I was there to see when you notice that your solid state halfstack sounds like mush when you push it past 3, or when you need to carry a halfstack to a show.

- Im out

17. yeah, but im not stressin off the halfstack size and all that... i want something expandable, that looks good and sounds good, and if the cab busts i stil have the head, and it ownt take much to replace the bottom end... plus, im 6'6" 300+ lbs... carrying some shit like that is nothin for me.. as for having played a tube amp, yes i have... my neighbor has a marshall that i plug into just about every time im over at his house... things a POS... the contacts for the input wire are so fucked off they constantly come undone and you have to jiggle the wire to get it back where u need it... his amp gets loud, but not THAT loud... and certainly not as loud as my crate... but its also a smaller unit, i think a 1x12... im just skeptical about combo units for performances... ive never heard good things about using a combo unit for performing, at least... not JUST a combo unit...

18. sup all, i am wondering if any of you know any good guitar books that i can learn from? i am basically an amateur but not too much as i know most of the basic chords and somewhat know how to read notes and such. any recommendations would be a tremendous help as i'm pretty clueless in which direction to take from here on out. thanks :)

19. anyone who is looking for lessons this is a good place to learn, best thing about it.......its free!!! it helped me out alot. i still use it to aid me in understanding theory.

http://www.wholenote.com

thousands of lessons on anything and everything....chords,theory,circle of fifths,chromatic scale (and any others),ear training,frethand techniques,picking techniques,and so on...