Anyone know the science behind these water circle things?

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by oscarsi, Jan 14, 2010.

  1. So i found one of these the other day on the wet street.
    I see them everytime it rains (thanks Oregon:eek:)
    I am guessing that the middle part is dry concrete, so the light reflects from it to the side, where the water is at? creating the colors?

    I was wondering if anyone know what they are called and how they happen?

  2. Kinda looks like either a gay dude, or a hippy pissed there.
  3. That question is just like this machine
    completely useless.

    Here's my answer to it:

    The water that is dripping in the center is mixed with small particles of oil in the asphalt, and because the two repel each other oil is pushed out. This creates a shiny rainbow like surface around where the water was.
  4. Yeah, it's definitely related to oil.

    The oilslick on my driveway used to do that. I sprayed it with brake parts cleaner one day and scubbed it (great way to get rid of oil spots on the driveway BTW) and it never happened again.
  5. Yes its just the oil and water separating, thus creating a refracting effect like a prisim, or a rainbow. Just separating colors.
  6. thanks for the responses.
    I found out its called "oil sheen"

Share This Page