Anyone know of a DIY airstone?

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by Stryder85, May 31, 2010.

1. I'm tired of replacing these damn things, they get clogged all too often. So i was wondering if anyone has came up with a diy airstone equivalent.

2. Just soak the airstone in white vinegar over night, then give it a good flush with water.
    Will do the trick!

3. Stryder-- if my memory is any good? in my aquarium days they had wood airstones. sounds like a simple diy project. let us know if it works.:D

4. It sounds like its going to cost more than its going to help. I'd just follow cleaning instructions. I'm not sure if this works, but if you had a high-pressure pump you could hook up to the air-line and then pump it full of high-pressure water to eject it from the stone, likewise maybe run vinegar through the stone itself.

5. soak it in bleach.

6. Using a higher volume pump will keep pores clear of crap (assuming it's ran 24/7). Also vinegar works to clean, but I like a very mild bleach solution. Mmmm, no mistaking the cleanliness of bleach! Walmart has cheapo aquarium air stones for like $2 for a six pack of 2 inchers. Topfin or whatever the brand is.

Slightly divergent here: I have a brand new 48" flexible air diffuser that one of the glued ends popped off of. I'm just going to reglue it, but $6 for a piece of shit? Wow.