Anyone know how to get rid of the Google Redirect virus?

Discussion in 'Silicon (v)Alley' started by BluntCruisin, Jan 11, 2011.

1. Not sure where I picked this up, my computer never has viruses, like maybe one or two a year which I can usually get rid of by running the computer in safe mode then running Trend Micro and MalwareBytes. I've tried just about everything, even going in my registry and looking for strange files. For those who don't know, this virus affects every search engine you use, redirecting you to sites full of malware. Luckily, it doesn't affect the address bar. Any help blades?

2. sounds like the tdss rootkit, google for removal instructions

3. Lolz.

4. update malwarebytes and it will find root kits. And do you have hijack this? If you do. Post the log so we can help.

5. #5 Fëanor, Jan 12, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2011
    Start > All Programs > Accessories > Notepad (right click and Run As Administrator; important)

File > Open

Change to "All Files" instead of "Text Documents (.txt)"

Open C:\Windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

The first ~20 lines of the file should be comments that start with a #

After that, there should be nothing there unless you know exactly what it is and why it is there. If there is something else there, copy it somewhere then delete it from the hosts file and save.

I also recommend opening an elevated command prompt and running these commands:

ipconfig /flushdns
    netsh int ip reset
    (depending on OS you might have to also add log.txt to the end so it has somewhere to dump logging data)

Test with a different web browser (a clean install from after the virus).

If you want to use Internet Explorer, go to Tools > Internet Options > Advanced > Reset.

6. I already tried the notepad thing before and resintallation of Internet Explorer, and the DNS cache thing. I'm really stuck, but thanks for the help