Anyone know anything about joining the Military?

Discussion in 'General' started by Tonyizzle, Oct 1, 2009.

1. I don't really agree with anything our government is doing, but I am still trying join in hopes of escaping my fucked up life and finding something better.

But anyway, I wanted to join the Air Force like my dad and his dad did, but because of a theft charge I was told by an online chatroom recruiter that I cannot join.

I am going to talk to a local Air Force recruiter and see if this is the truth, if it is then my only remaining option would be to go into the Army.

I'm pretty sure the Army would take me even with my theft charge. But does anyone know if they would allow me to continue on my prescription medications (adderall and klonopin)?

If so, i'm ready to call up an Army recruiter right now and get this shit started. I've avoided calling an Army recruiter until I heard back from the Air Force, because I know that Army recruiters won't leave you alone once you get in contact with them.

So anyway, if anyone can give me any insight I would really appreciate it :D

2. Your record has to be clean to join Military, Navy, and Air Force.

3. Nah, they make exceptions. I've talked to recruiters in the past before I picked up my theft charge but I still had disorderly conducts and shit. The Army recruiter I talked to a couple years back told me flat out that its very easy for him to get people in who have had legal problems, especially Army.

4. Oh, well I was just going with what my friend thats a Military Recruiter said. Im sure they can pull a few strings.

5. My father is a military recruiter and a high ranking one at that. I can personally tell you that if you actually make the effort to physically get to a recruiting office they will work with you to get you in arms.

Generally your first tour isnt too dangerous. You will see combat, but if your smart, keep your head down, and listen to your CO then you'll get through ok.

On a personal note i will say that, it is a life choice in every sense of the word. You cant get the years you spend in the army back to spend in real life. And you will see some things that most civilians couldnt handle, but it has, from my perspective, improved the individuals life.

6. Join the Marines

7. If you can make it to a recruiter's office and can sign an X on a piece of paper, they'll find a way to make it work.

If you go in there with a bag fully of shit already packed and say "I want to be light infantry, 11 bravo let's go right now" they may actually find a way to ship you out that very day. And I'm not kidding.

8. Yeah Im kinda in the same boat... i've got one thing going for me right now but if it doesn't work out im joining up

if they let you keep your scripts that would be bad ass........... pot is my vice and that shit aint tolerated one bit...

9. Yeah this is my biggest concern at the moment because i'm not the same person without my medications. I need them. So if I end up getting them taken away after I already sign up shit will hit the fan and then i'll be even more fucked. :eek:

10. HAve you talked to your dad? Maybe he knows a few things about it. Im sure they would take you, even with the theft charge, if you convince the recruiter and shit.

11. lol whatttt? :confused:

12. ive been thinking about the marines quite a bit lately also. a lot of things to think about before i take that step tho...

13. It's called a moral waiver.

I've had a couple friends get out of deep shit by doing this, and joining the Army/Marines.

Don't know if the AF, or Navy will do it though.

GL

14. You probably won't be able to if you are on those meds. Actually you definitely will not be able to continue taking them. If you can function without them thne I'd just not tell them that you ever used them. They want to see you off any meds for at least a year if you tell them about it.

It would be hard with a theft charge also. you MAYBE could get a waiver in the army but I'm really not sure. I went through the entire enlistment process for the Marines (ended up getting discharged before being shipped, long story)

15. I know they don't allow you too smoke weed and that's pretty much all I need too.

16. yea you should be able to with the charges,its alot harder tho,but with the meds,im pretty sure there shouldnt be a promblem with that.

theres nothing like the miltiery to straighten out someones life,ive seen many people come out of the army alot better then they were when they joined.

17. #18 Darth_Bane, Oct 2, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2009
    I haven't read this whole thread but to answer your questions:

No, you cannot take those medications in the military. You have to be off of them for one year before you can join. If you're taking Klonopins for anxiety/panic attacks etc, the military is not for you anyways. Think about how terrified you will be when faced with the prospect of war.

I'm not too sure about your criminal background though. That would be up to your recruiter, a recruiter in real life not the internet. A recruiter that has a quota to meet will pull all kinds of crazy shit to get your ass in front of a contract.

EDIT: Okay I thought about it, and if you are taking the benzos for that purpose and you're set on joining, get the hell off of them and work on naturally curing yourself mentally for the year that you have to wait. They don't want you on any of that shit for a reason. If they did let you take them, and you deployed and say you lose them on a field op, you're fucked and likewise those around you are fucked. Imagine going through benzo withdrawal in Afghanistan and having seizures while your friends are depending on you to watch their backs.

18. That last bit was a damn good point.

Well I guess I have some more thinking to do.. :eek:

19. Think about it long and hard, and if it's what you WANT to do, fuck all the obstacles and consequences and go for it. Don't be afraid to follow your heart.