Anyone know anything about dirtbikes?

Discussion in 'General' started by Soap, Oct 27, 2008.

1. So lately my friends have been pressuring me to get an ATV and go riding with them on the weekend.
    ATV's are a little costly and I dont think I need one, BUT have decided to get a dirt bike instead. I figured after working almost 6 months straight (1 day a week off) I just need to reward myself and get out of the city every once in a while and just relax without all this concrete jungle around me.
    So my question to you blades is...what would be a good size for a 145lb rider? (newbie rider)
    I have a Vespa during the summer months for the street so I know HOW to ride pretty much, but I dont know the technical stuff.
    I put an offer on Kijiji for a dirt bike in my area that is 110 cc, and a 'great beginner bike', my friends are claiming that it will probably be enough to keep up to them on the trails, but I just wanted to see some of your opinions on it.
    Anyone?

2. Do you happen to have a store around you that sells dirtbikes? If so, I would reccomend stopping by there first. You don't have to buy a bike, but check them out. Try sitting on them and see whats comfortable. Your height and the seat-height on the bike is also something you should take into account. I started on a kx150 when I was in 7th grade. I just sold my yz450 because I don't have the time to ride much anymore. Hope this helps.

3. YAMAHA 250 WR.

best bike EVER. it can take a serious beating. I learned to ride on that bike out in moab utah and believe me, my bike went over cliffs, into ravines, smashed off rocks and trees, and still goes fine 5 years later

4. and dude, a 110 is pussy for you. you weigh 145? get a 250. its easy to learn, and a 250 is not too fast.

by the way though, a vespa is nothing like a dirt bike, lol. but learning to ride a dirt bike is not hard.

5. i used to sell motorcycles four wheelers dirtbikes and the like, and i agree with everyone 110 is way to small. even a new 125 is still small and underpowered for you. how tall are you? if youre almost 6 foot, and want to stick to mainly trail riding, id considering getting a 450, and maybe dual purpose. i love the enduros and being so versatile on and off the trail, you can really get some use out of your machine.

6. I realize it may be a little slower but I just want something to mess around on, speed isnt an issue. I just want to experience the outdoor life and go for a relaxing trail ride.
    I drive a Vespa 250GTS, so the power is something I can handle, but just wouldnt care to.
    Every site I have seen claims that a 125cc can handle a rider of my weight, are you sure that the 125 would be to slow??
    Price is also some what of an issue as to why I cant go to a 250.

7. you can get a used 250 in fine order for cheap. I really would get a 250. jsut save a lil bit more. u will get SO BORED after a few weeks with a 110 or 125.

I was in ur spot 2 years ago, almost got a 125 and god, im soooooo happy i didn't. i woulda sold it and wasted money buying another one.

trust me

8. Like everybody else has been saying, a 250 will be a lot better for you. You will grow out of anything smaller real quick.

9. its not just "speed" persay. a 125 is going to have the get up and go, especially uphill that youll be looking for very soon after riding it. a 250 for a trail bike will be handle most all terrain. its a bigger bike, with a lot more torque, bigger brakes etc. i like kawi's and yamaha's personally.

truth.

10. I´d say a 250 right away.

You may be small now, but you might gain weight also. And you´ll get bored real quick with a 125.

You´re better off with a dirt bike than with and ATV. They´re ugly as hell and sooo much easier to tip over and stuff. Bikes are more stable.

11. u could buy a nice new yamaha 110 pit bike get like the rear shock, seat and handle bars. hell even an engine upgrade kit for a lot cheaper then a 250 and it will have a lot of balls!
    wheelies down the street.
    its little and lite so u can whip it easily and get some nice air.
    i have the new 2008 with the 4th gear it was like 2000 with all the upgrades and shit i got. all new riding gear and helmet too.
    its pretty fast! i moto a lot during the summer and ever since i got a pike bike i havent rode me 250 or 125.
    my friends track is huge! its over like a mile long.
    and my track has a lot of table tops and shit. i love it!

12. I would definitely get a dirtbike over a quad there alot faster and more maneuverable. If I were you I would get a 250 2 stroke bike for your size there alot of fun I weigh 160 and they have tons of power for me I have a yz250 with alot of mods. You could probably find a nice 250 for 2500$. The reason I dont like the 4 strokes is that there harder to work on and they cost alot more to fix when they blow up.

Have you rode a bike before? If you havent a 250 2 stroke will probably be pretty wild at first im assuming youve rode though.

13. yz125 or yz250f would be good for a newbie rider. Expect to take some falls though. Don't be a dumbshit, wear gear. Helmet/gloves/chestplate. if you aint crashin, you ain't riding. Or your riding like a little bitch lol.

But yeh dirtbikes are the way to go. Quads are definitely alot of fun though. I had a Z400 and a YZ450f. The quad is real fun to mob around on, but dirtbikes are so much more fun :D

Oh and get some custom exhaust if you get a 4stroke. The deep rumble of a 4stroke is bonerific

14. fuck 125s and 250s if ur not going to be a serious rider.

if ur a beginner and just wanna go have fun get a pit bike
    yamaha 110
    or a kawasaki

every1 said i would regret it and fuck them i dont.
    i dont even ride my 250 anymore and sold my 125
    since i got my engine upgraded i havent been riding any other bikes

15. Agree with not getting 125 or 250 if you're not going to be a serious rider. I have a RM250 Suzuki, and it is NOT something you want to learn to ride on, at all. I suggest honda 230 4stroke. Has some poke, and decent torque, but very easy to ride and an excellent bike to learn on.

16. u guys are either crazy, or scared to ride. a yamaha on road/off road 250wr is possibly one of the best/easiest bikes to learn on, or even for anexperienced rider. 250's are not jsut for serious riders either, 400 or a 450, yes. but 250's have got balls for sure, but not that much for a bike

17. get an older yz 125. Dont get a 250 because you dont need it as a beginner. Your not going pro so get a 125. It will have more than enough power for you and yz's and slightly big for 125's (older ones are)

You dont need overkill and if your looking to have fun thats what you need.

18. i have a 250, how is it overkill? 450 yes but a 250 aint even that fast!

19. Honda CR is quite nice