Anyone know anything about cameras?

Discussion in 'General' started by black sabbath, Jan 5, 2014.

1. ... OK so here's the deal - I have a huge sudden interest in photography and I love it. I dont know much about cameras but I am looking for a relatively nice DSLR camera mostly for pictures of scenery because I travel alot. Can anyone reccoemd me a good beginner DSLR camera?

Sorry if this is in the wrong spot wasn't sure where to post it. Thanks  :metal:

2. canon t3i... best camera money can buy for its price. 

3. C T3I  ^^^

4. Well i was in your spot awhile ago. I ended up choosing a canon rebel t4i. i believe there is now a t5i. There are a number of guides out there concerning which camera to start with. If i find the one which helped me most, i'll post it here.

In general though the main decision to make is nikon vs. canon. there are some other brands out there, like sony, but canon and nikon have a huge variety of lenses and accessories that you might have trouble finding with other brands.

Also if scenery is your focus then you'll want a wide-angle lens (meaning a low number of millimeters..18mm is a pretty standard size), and i would also highly recommend a polarizing filter as well (look it up).

5. Thanks for all the replies guys! I'll check all those out, @[member="Sunn"] lemme know if you find that guide and thanks again for all the help

6. They can take pictures and stuff

7. Buy a little yellow one that you wind up. If you wind and wind and wind it you can take a picture 1,000s of yards away with precision. You can zoom in for hours. This is a little known fact of the photographer association

8. during your hunt for a good cam, consider investing in a prime lens as well. I'd consider a 50mm lens to be a good starting point

9. indeed, i started with an 18-135mm zoom lens of nediocre quality but after awhile i added a 100mm prime macro lens and the difference in quality is just massive. prime lenses are the way to go if you already know what kind of shots you want to be taking.

10. #10 Doc-J, Jan 6, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2014
    I love my nikkon d5100. Its ability will surpass your needs for quite a while.

This guy has a lot of good info. Seems pretty unbiased and isnt trying to sell cameras like a lot of review sites.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/

I',m thinking about ordering this camera right now. It comes with a nice lens on amazong for under 400, what exactly do you guys use this camera for?

12. speed cameras really don't like truck tyres filled with diesel being put around them and set alight....

Yo guys I bought that shit can't wait to get it

14. #14 Nameunknown, Jan 10, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2014
    [quote name="black sabbath" post="19313606" timestamp="1389339535"]Yo guys I bought that shit can't wait to get it[/quote]Good choice! That, the d3200 or the d5200 would have been my recommendations. Enjoy your camera man!

15. #15 black sabbath, Jan 11, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2014
    Thanks man, can't wait to get it

16. what lens did you go with?

17. Polaroid insta-print

18. Came with a 18-55mm lens. This was sort of an impulse buy so I'll have to learn up about what kinda lenses I'll need for certain shots

19. well the lower the focal length, the wider the field of view is. the higher focal length, the more zoomed in your shot will be but it'll have a narrower field of view. 55mm won't offer you much zoom capability so that lens will be more for scenery and portraits. also, geberally speaking, a zoom lens (meaning a lens with a variable focal length) won't have the same quality as a prime lens (a lens with a fixed focal length) but it's a lot more flexible and it's better to start with so you can experiment a little with different shots.

i have an 18-135mm and the 135mm is a pretty decent zoom but i find that it isn't enough for shooting birds and other wildlife.

20. Thanks alot dude, this helps. Sounds like I went with the right lens for the time being, i'll definitely be looking into additional lenses once I actually get my hands on the cam.