Anyone know about data recovery and windows unable to boot?

Discussion in 'Silicon (v)Alley' started by Sc0pe, Sep 11, 2015.

1. So i turned on my computer the other day and it came up with the blue screen then said it had to be repaired, i selected yes and it succeeded.

once i got to my desktop i selected the computer to hibernate while i went and had a shower, when i came back it was turned off and wehn i started it again, it went through the blue screen etc but this time it said it could not be repaired, i tried several times but it said it cannot be done automatically.

i take it to a shop and the guy says the problem is with the pin that reads the hard drive or something and it cannot boot, and he will have to install a new hard drive with windows and transfer my data.

my question is do you think i can get my data back because i had ALOT of documents on there and pictures of my dog that died and i didnt back them up to anywhere because i am a fool

2. As long as the drive still physically functions then it may be possible to retrieve your data. If it at least tries to boot in to windows then it is functioning on some level. Im not sure what he is talking about a pin that reads the hard drive. He may be talking about the internal arm inside the drive itself. If the arm or the platter is damaged then you may get all your info, you may not. If you drive has bad sectors, causing windows files to become corrupted then your data may be hit or miss. From your description and without looking at it myself, I would say there is a good chance your data is there and safe but I wouldn't guarantee it without checking the drive.

Any good tech should have already checked the drive to see if they could retrieve the data before telling you that they would need to transfer it to the new drive. As someone who spent 15+ years in the industry if I couldn't get any of your data, we would have that conversation when I told you the drive needed to be replaced.