Anyone know about 3d modeling? (Maya, 3ds Max, etc.) Need advice please.

Discussion in 'Silicon (v)Alley' started by Senior PoopiePants, Oct 5, 2012.

1. #1 Senior PoopiePants, Oct 5, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2012
    I've been trying to learn Maya for years (since 2009) and it's just hard shit. I mean, I absolutely love it because with the many different menu sets and options, it makes me feel like a little kid again - I can build ANYTHING. So much mystery, but so much power to do shit with it if you just know how.

I am more of an audio engineer - sound/music is my thing. But I don't think I'll be able to land a career as easily and I heard that 3d modelers/animators make a lot of money.

I was never really drawing-inclined. There is so much for me to learn - like the anatomy of a human body, perspectives, etc. But I have the will and I really want to do this and live a decent life already (I'm 32 and I don't have much).

So does anyone here dabble in 3d modeling/animation - preferably in Maya (though I understand it's all universal)?

I remember I got a real big kick in the gut a few years ago when I worked as a server at a diner. This young dude came in a lot (about 22 years old). I felt sorry for him because he would come in by himself with an iPad (new at the time - 1st gen). I always saw him watching animations (something that looked like a student working on models). I ended up asking him about it and he said he was into 3d modeling/animation. He showed me some really impressive shit that he made.

But the second time I talked to him, he was more of a dick. He showed me another animation and I was like, "Wow, man! That's really good! I really want to do something like this, but I'm more of an audio guy...".

He then said to me, "Dude, can you draw? Are you good at drawing things?". I said, "Not really, but I can learn."

He was like, "If you can't draw, then you might as well not even try getting into the 3d modeling world. You're probably just better off sticking to what you're better off with".

It took me days to get angry off of that, but I realized that he might be right. Regardless, throughout the few years after that incident, I have modeled some really primitive shit (like a church, and I did the solar system with textures, lighting, and animation). Not bad for a person like myself.

But when I see someone modeling a head or a body or a fucking car (nurbs), I'm just like, "Shit, man - maybe that asshole was right.".

So do I have a chance? Is it worth it? With the 3d printer technology lifting off exponentially, do you also believe that 3d modelers will be in demand?

Please give me pointers. I need a career to choose and learn. It's ride or die at this point. Thanks. :)

Also - so many movies were made using Maya and 3ds Max (Avatar, 2012 - just to name a few). Also, many areas use 3d modeling technology, like doctors (3d organs to view, etc.), architects, and damn, like so many more fields).

2. Y'all can't tell me this isn't cool shit:

[​IMG]

And there are menus within menus. Awesome.

[​IMG]

Holy shit:

[​IMG]

^^^ It's Garbage Man! Haha.

You can make characters and landscapes for games with this.

3. I've messed around with it before but never got any good at it. The only reason I want to learn is I'm thinking I want to go into game design and it would be helpful there, especially if I wanted to work by myself or with a small team.

4. Cool...bump to dump tip troll thread...

5. #5 acidburn373, Oct 5, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2012
    If you have steam, they just released new software for free looks pretty simple yet can do numerous tasks and is used in their game development. Might be something to look into as they have a lot of tutorials already up.

Try looking for a tafe course or 3d design school you could go to part time if you really want to get some experience / qualifications.

Also there are numerous 3d artists out there and it's going to grow soon so you would really have to hone your skills I'm not trying to be a dick here but it seems like all the young kids these days want to go into the computer / graphic design industry.

6. I've used it, and its really good, if you have the time to figure it out, for simple tasks, I like Autodesk Inventor.

7. Never messed with it. Im learning AutoCad 2d drawing basics now and getting into it.

I cant even imagine using that. But im sure i will eventually. Going to learn Autodesk Inventor first though

8. I'm cool on Max. though 2012 with it's new wiz bangs is poor their are better versions, I often subcontract to game studios and fleece them for cash, once you get good, I MEAN GOOD, you can write ya own checks and they are only too willing to pay, if gaming is your aim , go Max 2012 2013, there are many classes around, many students drop out, very very few make the grade, those that do.. many drift off to other distractions,

I do make more than my buddy he's into audio, bell and whistles, but then he does a lot of small jobs, so is always busy, it's a supply and demand thing.

Can't remember the last I used Maya, but it still an asian thing....??

peace
    "V"

9. I have a bunch of books on Maya back home worth a lot, with the cd's that came with them. I got them for free from a friend.

10. Be a man and sculpt with clay!

lol i would try a forum specific to 3d modeling and if you cant find one normally on sculpting forums there are people who talk about it.

This is a good forum mostly for clay sculptors but there is still some talk about zbrush and stuff.
    Shiflett Brothers Sculpting Forum

this forum might have more of what you;re looking for.

TheEffectsLab.com

also im a sculptor and i cant draw for shit but knowing the rules of drawing is helpful.

11. Thanks for the info. So, you can't draw good but can model... This gives me hope. :) I guess it is possible.

12. ya i pretty much suck..i can do a lil bit of a cartoony style but passed that im useless..i suspect one day ill eb bale to draw better if i get to take classes and what not.

good luck

13. Don't bother and learn 3dsmax. It's more or less for all the same purposes and the accepted best, not just the standard. You might have more fun editing video, you can be a creator as well there in after affects and it's kind of more artistic and exciting. Anyways, unless it's your profession, there's really no reason to be inside maya.