Anyone into surrealist/strange films?

Discussion in 'Movies' started by aclockworkoddity, Feb 12, 2014.

1. If so what are your favourites. Who do you think is the best surrealist director.

Sorry if someone has already posted something similar, just wanted to know what the people of grasscity are into.

Sent from my ST26i using Grasscity Forum mobile app

2. Look into David Lynch's work, that's all I've explored in surrealism, but his films are pretty good. My favorite director of all time is Stanley Kubrick, check out all of his films. He never made a bad one.

3. I watch a lot of weird shit since I got Netflix.

4. 240sxLover David Lynch is a favourite of mine Eraserhead, Twin Peaks and Mullholland Dr are some awesome trippy films. Anyone who hasn't seen The Holy Mountain should watch it if there into surrealism.

5. Cool to see that there are open minded films viewers on this form.

6. I just finished Twin Peaks two nights ago hah, it kept me up thinking about it.

7. Aye I love them, I remember watching Donnie Darko when I was about 13 I thought it was the greatest thing I had seen, but yeah really love those kinda films.

8. 240sxLover awesome man.

9. Donnie Dario is pretty trippy. Dont think its as good as some of Lynches work but it's cool.

10. I love the Lynch movies I've seen but still Donnie Darko is one of my all time favourites.  I mean that soundtrack and the way it works with the film each time each song is chosen is just phenomenal on it's own.

11. Yeah fair play the film has a perfectly fitting soundtrack.

12. Maya Deren

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4S03Aw5HULU

13. Cool

14. We watched this in my film lecture class freshmen year. Pretty cray.

15. ^

For real Kubricks films are just fucking crazy 

16. Discovered this short about a week ago and have been fascinated with it ever since; by Milo Harkness-Smith.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrjM7Q9uvp8

17. Has anyone seen the holy mountain?

18. I usually graviatate towards films with a surrealistic touch. I watched all of Alejandro Jodorowsky's films last year (apart from his new one), they're great. The Holy Mountain is one of the best films I've seen, it's so imaginative and full of life, and balls-out trippy to watch. If you like the work of this director, be sure to check out the films of Fernando Arrabal too (he co-wrote some of Jodorowsky's films), like I Will Walk Like a Crazy Horse and Viva La Muerte, they seriously make The Holy Mountain and El Topo look formulaic and cliched in comparison.

David Lynch's films are great, too. Not all of them are surrealistic, but Mulholland Drive, Lost Highway, and Fire Walk With Me are all essential viewing if you're into films with a very dark edge. Wild at Heart is a lot of fun to watch too, and Eraserhead is his best film, one of the best surrealistic films I've seen -- watch that one very late at night stoned out of your face with some dark chocolate and red wine beside you.