Anyone here like math?

Discussion in 'General' started by ThePhantom, Jan 29, 2008.

1. I know math is a hated subject for many, but I kind of like it. I am certain I will probably never use what I learn, but for the time being some of it is very interesting. How about we post some cool math theorems, laws, and postulates for all to enjoy! Here's mine:

Descartes' Rule of Signs

Let f(x) be a polynomial with real coefficients and a nonzero constant term. The number of positive real zeros of f(x) either is equal to the number of variations of sign in f(x) or is less than that number by an even integer.

The number of negative real zeros of f(x) either is equal to the number of variations in sign in f(-x) or is less than that number by an even integer.

For example, f(x) = x^4+4x^3+10x+9 has no positive solutions because there are no sign changes in f(x). I'm sure you all knew that one pretty well, but it was just an example.

I was (am) high when I wrote this.

2. Math is my jam

3. I don't like math at all...but I enjoy Physics.

4. Physics is just applied math :hello:

5. I think it's definitely exciting to see a concept go to work, but I'm way too lazy to try and understand things that just don't click the first time.

One thing that I think is really cool about math is the fact that every math law and function has always been there. Long before humans captured math, it was always true that y=mx+b, but there wasn't really any need to know that. We've found certain things that there is to know that have always been there... The concepts exist, just like electricity and chemistry and stuff like that, but an understanding of it is what makes those things great.

6. Among my favourite things in math are Godels Incompleteness theorem and the work that Cantor did with infinity i.e Cantors theorem and the continuum hypothesis.

These interest me in particular because they show our incompleteness of understanding, in that not every problem can be solved with a logical system, and the concept of infinity is so bizarre that it defies understanding.

7. Fucking math I hate that motherfucking shit fuck math.

8. i like math and geometry, i was always real good at it in highschool, had A's in my math n geometry classes the entire 4 years

i even got a 95% (which is like an A) on my math final when i was on 10 hits of acid, haha plus i finished it before everyone else in my class haha, my teacher knew i was fucked up too but she was cool

9. I wish i remembered math, been reading books since i dropped out of School.

but math was never my thing. no idea why.

10. Agreed. I hate math with an unbelievable passion.

11. i'm in calc right now... its not a class i hate, its hard in a good way. its sort of like salving a puzzle to me, if you think of it as just being school work its going to suck.

12. Fuck math.

Fuck it.

13. Right....right....I was totally on top of that one :eek:

I hated algebra...geometry was fine and probability wasn't so bad, but fuck algebra. What's n? I don't give a shit. N is a letter and it doesn't belong in math! Even Sesame Street will tell you this!

I never had to take it, thank God

14. I love geometry and physics...

Anything else, get it the fuck away from me. Algebra? fucking gross, oh and calculus man, oh jesus fuck that, NEWTON WAS FUCKING CRAZY TO INVENT THAT SHIT IN ONE NIGHT!

/end

15. I like doing math, but i LOVE physics (Im a physics major:)).

16. I used to like math. Then I took an applied multivariable calc. It was awful. I've never experienced anything so vile in my life.

17. does X = 7?

18. As I said, x cannot equal a positive number due to Descartes Rule of Signs. By the way, the actual solutions to that equation, which I got with my graphing calculator, are -.75 and -4.4. They were both irrational numbers so I couldn't have got them by hand even if I tried (I just terminated them early).