Anyone here helped an Alcoholic. I need help!

Discussion in 'General' started by northernwidow, Sep 13, 2009.

1. I'm no expert and I have no previous dealings with alcoholics, but I believe the issues are too complex to not seek professional help. Growing up isn't easy and trying to find one's place in life can lead to some detours along the way.

Any chance you could go to AA with him? It is a big commitment, but as you point out he's your brother and best friend. Good luck.

2. hey guys, driedorange knows how to copy and paste!

3. At this point, there's no way to get him into any kind of program. He's to stubborn.

Im going to the phils game with him tuesday. He wants to tailgate i'm sure but it looks like I have to say no. Last time he ended up smashing a tail light trying to get away from his girlfriend and myself because he wanted to get in his car and drive to atlantic city. The people whose car it was were right there, and I had to deal with the police, drunk and underage, while somebody wrapped my tshirt around his arm.

4. Exactly what I was thinking.

To OP:
    The only way he can get better is if he actually wants to. Forcing him into rehab when he doesnt think he has a problem will only frustrate him and cost your family ungodly amounts of money.
    Until he hits rock bottom or realizes he has a problem, there is nothing you can do.

5. my uncle was an alcoholic for a long time. two years ago it got to the point where he stopped eating and left the house and walked 20 miles away in the middle of the night. after about a day and a half the police found him unconscious in a park two towns away. he landed in the hospital and i'm pretty sure he doesn't drink anymore because my aunt and grandma both almost had nervous breakdowns, but he still has yet to admit that he had a problem. i really feel bad for my dad because like you guys, they had planned on going into business together but my uncle stopped being able to hold a job so they never got capital and my dad couldn't trust him. i don't really have any advice but i truly hope things work out.

6. I would suggest that he eats 5 grams of mushrooms and does some hardcore thinking about his life.

7. Smash a bottle of vodka over his head and beat his ass into permanent soberness. <That was serious advice no jokes. You'd be amazed at what a good ol ass kickin would do to someone

8. Follow these steps:

1) Pick a rainy morning
    2) Sit down by yourself, watch "A River Runs Through It"
    3) Don't be afraid to shed a few tears, that movie is powerful
    4) Recognize that there is some intense, serious, deep truth when Norman's father preaches:

"Each one of us here today will, at one time in our lives look upon a loved one who is in need and ask the same question."We are willing to help, Lord, but what, if anything, is needed?" It is true we can seldom help those closest to us. Either we don't know what part of ourselves to give or more often than not, the part we have to give is not wanted. And so it is those we live with and should know who elude us, but we can still love them. We can love completely, without complete understanding."

It's tough to admit, but there is probably nothing you can do. You shouldn't feel guilty, but you will. You shouldn't beat yourself up, but you will.

The best you can do is try and help someone else in a similar situation. You might find Al-Anon meetings helpful (for friends/family of alcoholics). Pray every day for your brother, because he is beyond human help.

9. man alcoholics are worst they wake up feeling shitty every time they get wasted and act stupid but it never makes them stop

10. Video tape him while he is drunk, either secretly or in front of his face. Let him see how he acts when he is plastered.

-C

11. Quite true, my friend used the 'asskicking' method to beat my friend out of smoking crack :smoke:

But yeah, as a lot of other people said it normally takes the person to realize they have a problem before they can start looking for and accepting help.

12. my dad (is/was?) an alcoholic.

its a tough situation...i wish even i knew what to do coming from someone who also has an alcoholic fam member..really just be there for him and try to convince him he needs help. my dad did to to rehab but i dint think they had him stay long enough. if he goes make sure he stays longer than my dad did which was 7 days

13. i was in danger of being an alkie...i had this really serious self-awakening when i realized alcohol was no good for me...everybody doesnt get a bleesing like that but i thank GOD for it cuz i was a wild and nasty lil fucker...destined to do serious harm to myself or someone else

14. Wow wonder who got under 'driedoranges' skin??
    'Northernwidow' wanted advice not kiddy comments.
    So ithink this is 'driedoranges' life story --->>
    Maybe his Girl left, his car blew up, his stash got robbed, he lost his wallet, hes got no friends but most of all hes obviously a little boy who wishes he had a bigger penis, MAGGOTMAN...
    (Ive heard if you respect people you will make friends not enemies-dont forget kid anybody can trace you actual address within 2 minutes using software - even if you use an ip address concealer)
    Hope nobody passes your details to the authorities.

Anyway the main reason im making a comment is to help............

I feel for you 'northernwidow' I was an alcoholic for 17 years and slept under bushes, shop door ways etc..
    The thing with alcoholics is you can tell them all the facts under the sun about drinking but it DOESNT MAKE ANY DIFFERENCE., seriously a true alcoholic needs to be treated as though they are completely normal and dont mention quitting drink, (basically make him feel a bit silly) and then from that initial seed the mind starts thinking 'well why isnt anybody taking an interest in me' so then (hopefully) like me I thought well if they aint taking no otice now I'll quit then they will all think im brilliant (trust me mate this is what i did)

After i gave up i have owned 10 different cars got my own house been on numerous overseas holidays and more, so there really is a light at the end of the tunnel, but forcing him into help wll only drive him away and keep him drinking..

It will be hard but you and he can do it (PM me if you want more info on my story of addicta=ion and eventually abstinance)

Good luck dude:hello: