Anyone here from Vancouver?

Discussion in 'General' started by GeoTokeR, Dec 23, 2006.

1. whats goin on, people?

well im thinkin ( and just thinking) about moving to Vancouver, Canada. Right now im on the East Coast so it'd be a pretty big move for me so i just wanna get some facts before i think into it to much.

ok first question, what does the job scene look like over there? expecialy manual labor type jobs (such as logger, Construction, Capentry, that kinda stuff).

Second question, Ive looked up apartment prices online and they seem to be generaly about half of what im paying now, $1000 a month. Is this true for the whole area?

Third question, would i wanna live closer to the city or closer to the outskirts of town?? thats just a personal opinion i guess lol but anwser it anyways if ya can

thanks for any help,

-Geo

2. I'm going to move there as well, but to go to college and then hopefully teach at that college when I get a high enough degree. I'd also like to know some info about Vancouver that can't be found on its websites.

3. Manual labour jobs here are in demand.

$1000 a month would get you an apartment in some good areas, yes.

The outskirts would be a better bet....providing you have the means of transporation to get to the city when neccessary.

Sorry for the rush response, I'm just heading out....

4. ok thats cool man

but do you have any clue on what manual labour around there pays?

-Geo

5. Trades are booming and there is a big demand for manual labour (the olympics in 2010 and all)

If your right in the city yeah thats the prices your gonna pay, you can go in the suburbs though and still be like a 20-30 minute skytrain ride out of the city, people i know rent like basement suites for about 800

I live about 20 minutes out of the city, i think its the best way to go its not hard to transit in, living in the city's pretty damn expensive.

Manual labour usually starts at around 12 an hour, i got a job without an experience 2 summers ago working drainage for 15 an hour, i dont have any friends who are out of work there is plenty to be had right now

6. I'm from North Vancouver, and apartments downtown can be ridiculously priced for what you get. I would want to be downtown personally, there are tons of suburbs to vancouver, usually all accessible by skytrain. Skytrain uses the honour system, you gotta be a bitch to pay for free transportation.

7. BUMP

thanks for the info Stew12 and Xe11

-Geo