Anyone Have Narcolepsy?

Discussion in 'General' started by drexel25, Dec 25, 2007.

1. I was just curious if anyone frequenting this site has narcolepsy, and their experiences and opinions of it.

I personally have it, and have all symptoms minus cataplexy (very thankful for that).

Approximately 1 in 2,000 people have it, so I thought maybe...

So let's hear it!

2. out of curiosity, could you elaborate on what narcolepsy is?

3. Its when you fall asleep randomly, usually theres a specific trigger.

4. oh. can you wake up with stimuli like normally or is it kind of like fainting and coming too?

5. A friend of mine has it. Sometimes he'll go to his truck to get his coffee or something and not come back for hours because he passed out when he sat down!

6. ^^ thats sketch... I have to have someone watch me when I eat soup so I dont drown in it... I used to have long hair I could just tie to the chair but I cut it. :(

7. It's characterized by four different main symptoms, though most narcoleptics don't experience all four. an overnight sleep study (polysomnograph, or PSG) and a nap-test (multiple sleep latency test) have to be conducted, as well as documented symptoms over time, to diagnose narcolepsy.

1. Excessive daytime sleepiness with sleep attacks- narcoleptics are often plagued with the uncontrollable, iresistable desire to sleep at inappropriate times. It varies between subjects as to how quick the onset is, and over time some are able to recognize certain warning signs before they can no longer resist. This can vary between under a minute to several minutes. The attacks are typically a few minutes to up to 30, and occasionally longer.

The best way I've heard it put is to imagine you ran a marathon and proceeded to compete in a decathalon while not sleeping for several days- this is comparative to the urge to sleep when attacks come on.

2. Sleep paralysis- Basically, with narcoleptics, our brains have a hard time regulating between REM sleep and conciousness. this is why it intrudes in times it shouldnt. One characteristic of REM sleep is the total muscle paralysis of the body. When we wake up or fall asleep, while still completely concious, our bodies become completely paralyzed, including eyelids. Full cognitive functions are present, and you're basically entirely awake, yet unable to move or see. varying durations. touching someone in this state releases the paralysis.

3. Intrusion of REM sleep into wakefulness- Also often happening during the transition of conciousness and sleeping, vivid, often very frightening hallucinations take place as the dreaming state starts happening while the person is still awake. This is very often coupled with sleep paralysis, resulting in a terrifying experience and feeling of complete helplessness. Basically, subjects are bombarded with scary shit and can't move, though they are completely awake.

4. Cataplexy- complete loss of muscle function. This occurs when narcoleptics experience strong emotions predominently, such as anger, suprise, humor, etc. subjects often crumple to the floor or wherever they are, and are also fully concious, just unable to do anything about it. narcoleptics often react to humor, etc., in a very refined way, so as to avoid this.

Basically, the passing out when you don't want to thing with narcoleptics happens in low-energy situations (office meeting, watching tv, car ride, after lunch, anything not very interesting or exciting).

There's no cure for narcolepsy, just treatment. Treatment consists of stimulants to help keep the patients awake throughout the day. I currently take two 20mg ER ritalin and two 10mg instant release ritalin throughout the day (also great for getting things done).
    these are basic outlines. way more info is out there, just search.

8. ...guess there isn't much of a crowd. haha.

9. Would you say that the medicine your taking for it leaves something to be desired? Are you satisfied with the treatment?

Modern medicine is amazing and everything, but theres a lot of disorders out there that are treated poorly (usually they just want you to keep buying their brand of medicine).

10. This sounds like something DMT would do to you. Puts your awake body into a dreamy state. A literal "day dream" almost. For those of you that don't know what DMT is erowid it. It's somewhat of a new drug, and is produced by your own body. I wonder if a DMT induced state is similar to this type of Narcolepsy...

11. Dude my uncle tom has narcolepsy. He farms and often falls asleep while driving tractors haha... He actually bought a cell phone just for the fact that he falls asleep so much that people have to call him to wake the fuck up.

12. So. Um. yeah..........

13. Lol Wtf?

14. I too suffer from narcolepsy balgjiflieduaiea''''[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[

15. oh ya?

and the meds work as well as they can, it's basically the best thing to have. nothing's going to cure it, so it's the best course (as far as I'm concerned).

16. self induced narcolepsy haha. If i lay my head down get comfortable and close my eyes i can fall asleep anywhere.

17. Do you have a driver's license?

18. A friend of mine has this too. Except he's very fucking fat, so I'm not sure if that's his real excuse or not. Plus he works at a gas station. Plus he uses a car so its probable bs

19. If you have narcolepsy are you allowed to drive a car??

lol I thought this video was relevant, no? Also fucking hilarious. :p
    <object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ffahKQjsGLo&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ffahKQjsGLo&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

20. I have gotten #2 and #3 but I never knew that was a sign of narcolepsy... I'm gonna assume i dont have it cause i really dont need any more medical problems lol