Anyone has build plans for a RDWC?

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by PuffMaster Bori, Aug 19, 2016.

?

Is RDWC worth it

1. Hell to the mutha effing Yes

16 vote(s)
    88.9%
  2. Hell NO

2 vote(s)
    11.1%
  3. Whats RDWC?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. #21 Tbone Shuffle, Aug 23, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2016
    I am a fan of simplicity and control. I would probably be doing RDWC for the bud room if I had a basement, but I would most likely keep standard buckets for veg. I'm working with a 4x8 area with limited head room so I just don't want to attempt to fit in a big res or other equipment. If you just did RDWC in the bud room you could still do a perpetual harvest because you could vary the nutrients in the veg buckets until the plants were big enough to get the full force ppm. It still wouldn't be ideal because end bud stage plants need different nutrient mixes compared to beginning bud stage.

I guess my main beef is I want a perpetual harvest and it just isn't possible with RDWC unless you have 2 bud rooms and 2 veg rooms with 2 res's in each room so you could run an early bud stage nut mix, late bud stage, early veg, and late veg.

Every time I do a water change and I'm able to completely clean the buckets every crevice with ease and start new water I am thankful it's not locked in place with tubes and such where I have to clean out tubing, ect. No thanks.

2. #22 Steviodaddio, Aug 24, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2016
    Building your own UC4XL is a 29% savings over buying it at the regular price (No discounts like Growers House)
    (NOTE: This UC4XL materials list does not include the 2" bulkheads made from Current Culture. Although they can be bought on Hydrobuilder on a buy 10+ or more discount and each bulkhead would be about $14.25 so cost could increase by $90 total if one wanted to use the CC ones. This would result in a 20% savings instead of the initial 29%)

UC4XL.png

Building a UC8XL is a 19% savings over buying one at regular price.
    (For me if I were to buy it at my local shop for $1,550 I'd be saving %36.5 percent but would probably just order it online at that point)
    (NOTE: This UC8XL materials list includes 2" bulkheads made from Current Culture, but bought on Hydrobuilder on a buy 20+ or more discount, save 50% on the advertised cost. Could definitely save another $75-$100 if you used different bulkheads and didn't need the CC bulkhead wrench but figured after needing to buy so many bulkheads it may be worth it to get the discount, spend a few more bucks and use the ones CC sells)

UC8XL Spreadsheet.png

3. #23 Steviodaddio, Aug 24, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2016

You could do two individual 2 or 4 bucket systems in a flower room and have one 4 bucket system in a veg room (doesn't even have to be a XL kit, since you're only vegging them for about 3 weeks in it). OR you could find net pots that would fit directly into the tops of your undercurrent system, veg them in the smaller 3.5 gallon DWC buckets like you posted for $99 and then drop them into the UC for flowering.

I don't understand why you would need two flower rooms for different cycles!

And CC doesn't even recommend changing out water every 7-10 days. They say if you adjust your PPM's properly and aren't overfeeding them they should drink enough of it up within that 7-10 days that you can just keep a reservoir hooked up to the top off float and consistently keep the system at the same level throughout the entire grow. Their main spokesperson goes in depth on it in a youtube video. So you should only be having to clean it between harvest and the next cycle of plants going in them.

4. I was referring to a central reservoir system. If I ran perpetual I would want two different nutrient mixes for bud room plants. One for beginning flower and one for late stage because I like different mixes for each. I do only sterilize between harvests, but I still appreciate how easy a bucket is to clean compared to tubing and fittings.

It just doesn't make sense to me with the complicated nutrient supplementation of silica, humic/floric acid, cal/mag, budcandy sugars, NPK, micronutirents, ect, that all of these nutrients get taken up at the same rate. All you do is test the PPM and it tells you how much of each one of these elements the plant needs? All it does is tell you how strong the solution is. I do a water change to get back to a base level mix of nutrients. Otherwise after a few weeks you have no idea if you really have enough humic acid still in there to make sure your nutrients are chelated. You don't know how much cal/mag is still left. All you know is this generic ppm number.

My plants always respond with happy growth when I change the water too.

5. For the record, when I did grow Hydro, i never ever changed my water, I just kept refilling it when it got too low and all my plants were fine, never showed any signs of stress or deficiencies. Perhaps my growing conditions allowed for it to be that easy for me ***shrugs*** i really hope I don't have to do that with this grow. On another note, I seen someone recommended an air force air pump but thats like $150 i found one one ebay for $31 and it produces 35.71 LPM. I know its not high end but could i have someone chime in on advice for that? [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

6. Oh and before I build this thing, I'll submit a parts list including price for all parts for ya'll approval!

7. I don't change my NS either. I think if you need to change it out in the few weeks that the plants are growing, you're probably doing something wrong. Most people who have problems get it from the NS being too concentrated and not checking it until it gets so concentrated that it starts to damage their plants. I guess the nutrient ratios need to be well suited to marijuana, but choosing a nutrient range that has this is good practice anyway

8. I have that pump. It's pretty good. Loud though, all those types are loud. I like to have 1LPM for every 2L of NS. That works really well in my opinion

9. Thanks Goldgrower! How loud we talking here?, keeping up the neighbors loud or do you think the sound this thing makes in on par with a water pump?

10. Definitely wouldn't keep the neighbours up, but you will hear it in the next room. I found mine become quite a bit quieter when I hung it upside down. And also when I pushed a cotton bud in the intake hole. For some reason this didn't appear to slow the air flow speed down, but it should have, it may have, but I couldn't tell. It made it a lot quieter. Worth trying out for yourself anyway. I had a 10 way manifold and a 2" air stone ball on each line. I was impressed with it, but I've since gone back to duel bellow pumps because they are quieter

In fact, for the moment I've actually gone back to soil because it's quieter

11. Hmmm interesting suggestion Goldgrower im obviously trying to keep build cost down but I know i cant skimp on certain components. How much does that duel bellow pump go for?

12. There are a lot of different ones out there but personally I like these. They seem to move a lot of air considering how quiet they are. But with a big system, you would need to use quite a few of them and might not be worth the bother

[​IMG]

It powers 4 of these budget stones pretty well

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Wow! Thats a pretty decent price! I plan on using glass bonded silica air stones. They produce bubbles as small as .5 microns. I use to use regular ole aquarium air-stones but after reading a suggestion from another fellow GC brohan, I decided to try those and never looked back since. The growth rate after using those stones and the overall health of the plant amazed me, i would harvest more and flowering would finish a week less.

14. They sounds great I'll have to try some out. I would imagine they would slow the flow down so a piston pump would be better than a bellow pump.

Does that air stone lower the noise at all? I'm imagining that the smaller bubbles would make more of a fizz noise as opposed to a rumbling of the cheap air stones

15. You are correct sir, they fizz more then they rumble. Opening the lid to the bucket, the sound of the regular air stone would be as loud as the pump. I however did not feel that by adding the glass bonded silica stones, my pump worked harder. I could make no discernible difference in its performance. I used a pretty cheap dual outlet pump at that, so with a newer better pump I would really have to see how these stones perform, maybe they will rumble lol

• Like Like x 1
  16. I have one of those 951gph pumps. They are a little noisy but honestly I can't hear it over my fan. My fan is by far the noisiest thing in my grow room. I can reach out and touch my tent from where I sit but I can't hear the air pump over the fans. I watch movies and stuff in here. My tent is in my bedroom.

Those pumps are great because they pump a lot of air but they do get a little warm. Personally I would get one of those over the $16 aquarium pump. I know that aquarium pump is nowhere near the capacity. It's probably 1/4 the output. More air is almost always better. It's really hard to have too much. I had two plants drop out of my six bucket setup and I finished most of the rest of the grow with this 951gph air pump between only 4 buckets. That's over 235ghp per bucket. I keep it by my fan so it can blow on the heat sinks built into the outside.

I have another friend growing down the street. He was running a similar aquarium pump you have linked a few posts up, but on a huge walmart container DWC with 4 plants in it. He ended up with root rot issues last crop towards the end when the power went out for half a day his plants dropped into a downward spiral for a few days and cut his harvest in half. I knew he was running minimal on air. I talked him into buying one of those cheap 951gph. He got 2 for next crop one for both containers he's running and the new crop looks much improved.

17. My first grow I had necrosis, a root stem infection in 2 of my plants and root rot in another. I only was able to harvest one weak plant for a measly 2.8 oz. i did a to of reading after that and realized that not only was i not giving them enough air but the stones were really bad at dispersing oxygen. So thats when i got those glass bonded silica air diffusers and i should have mentioned this before but it slipped my mind. I have a ozium o3 generator that uses corona mass ejection. I would run it for 10 mins every hour. Never again did any of my plants suffer from anything. Also i found interestingly that the root mass was really white, liked I bleached it or something. It also helped establish really fine hairs on the roots.

• Like Like x 2
  18. #38 Tbone Shuffle, Aug 27, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2016
    Air is as important as supplementing good organisms if you want consistent results with hydro.

I've diversified my nutrients a lot since I started. I now use GH armor si, hydroguard, budcandy, humic/floric acid, florablend tea and others besides the standard npk. I have noticed my new roots are totally kicking ass. They have that white look and a lot more fine hairs. Thats when you know you're doing something right.

A product I've been doing lots of research on and will be buying is Real Growers Recharge as my beneficial organism supplement from now on. It actually also includes humic/floric acid in the formula so I can eliminate that supplement once I start running recharge. I'm just running out my current supply of hydroguard because I am happy with that. Recharge is so much better though when you look at everything included. I don't think I've found a competent bad review either. Everyone loves the stuff. It says soil but it works in hydro. I heard about it from a hydro guy on youtube.
    Recharge Natural Soil Conditioner

19. You know, in the beginning I would experiment a lot with different nutrients always striving to beat my last harvest, in the end i discovered to just keep it simple. I tried a whole bunch of different brands, (too long ago for me to remember the names), and in the end i stuck to the general hydroponics series of nutes and the lucas formula. This may sound surprising but all of my best harvest's were using those nutes and the lucas formula.
    I also think technique had a lot to do with it. I would start my clones in a lil custom cloner i built using high pressure nozzles and a high pressure pump, with the goal of establishing its root system with all those fine hairs, after of which I'd transplant and veg for 2-4 weeks, the fine hair growth only continued when i added my ozium generator. Once i got into my rhythm i was seeing on average an extra 3-6 oz per plant depending on how long i vegged. I understand nutes definitely play in an important role in the growth and quality of the bud but If I had to peg something as the most important factor for growth in hydro, it would have to be oxygen at the root zone. I used every light there was, HID, cfl, And LED's, (i settled on LED) they all worked well but produced lil difference in harvest yield and quality sometimes being indiscernible from previous harvest using different lights. I played the whole hydro, aeroponic, fogponic setups and i found Hydro to be the easiest and most rewarding system. After I added the glass bonded silica air stones is when I witnessed the biggest change in my plants. Bigger buds, higher yields and insane highs off the smoke. I still have friends always tell me that it was the best they ever had. But yea, air at the root zone and a good light are my top things to focus on. Everything else is an after thought after that.

20. You know, in the beginning I would experiment a lot with different nutrients always striving to beat my last harvest, in the end i discovered to just keep it simple. I tried a whole bunch of different brands, (too long ago for me to remember the names), and in the end i stuck to the general hydroponics series of nutes and the lucas formula. This may sound surprising but all of my best harvest's were using those nutes and the lucas formula.
    I also think technique had a lot to do with it. I would start my clones in a lil custom cloner i built using high pressure nozzles and a high pressure pump, with the goal of establishing its root system with all those fine hairs, after of which I'd transplant and veg for 2-4 weeks, the fine hair growth only continued when i added my ozium generator. Once i got into my rhythm i was seeing on average an extra 3-6 oz per plant depending on how long i vegged. I understand nutes definitely play in an important role in the growth and quality of the bud but If I had to peg something as the most important factor for growth in hydro, it would have to be oxygen at the root zone. I used every light there was, HID, cfl, And LED's, (i settled on LED) they all worked well but produced lil difference in harvest yield and quality sometimes being indiscernible from previous harvest using different lights. I played the whole hydro, aeroponic, fogponic setups and i found Hydro to be the easiest and most rewarding system. After I added the glass bonded silica air stones is when I witnessed the biggest change in my plants. Bigger buds, higher yields and insane highs off the smoke. I still have friends always tell me that it was the best they ever had. But yea, air at the root zone and a good light are my top things to focus on. Everything else is an after thought after that.

• Like Like x 1