Anyone handy with plumbing?

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by Deleted member 1061569, May 23, 2019.

1. #1 Deleted member 1061569, May 23, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2019
    I dun goofed

Pro-tip of the day: no matter how convenient or like a good idea it might seem at the time, do not attempt to dispose of hot candle wax in the kitchen sink. Shit's hardened and bullshit . I'm already on thin ice with my landlord and if he finds out I could easily get the boot.

My gut feeling is it's stuck in the trap. Can i just rip that shit out , clean it out, put it back, happy happy happy?

edit: i'm gonna first try pouring shitloads of boiling water down the drain and see if that helps

2. edit: couple kettles of boiling water did the trick. not doing that shit again. whew!

3. I would suggest you keep pouring hot ass water through the thing, and every other drain in the place, the boiling water just moved the wax, melted it again, so I would think it's now somewhere else built up. What could end up happening is a plug somewhere you wont be able to get to.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Yeah i'll do that. I pray that won't be the case. I will never be able to explain this and even if i do it won't matter. Actually the landlord himself isnt the problem, he's like 90 and senile, it's just that he is bound to croak soon so his wife is gradually taking over the operation and she is basically Stalin feminine reincarnate

5. I would start looking for a new place, old people suck to rent from

6. yea. $550 a month + electric + internet for ~300 sq ft, no attached bath, broken fridge, dingy shit carpeting and a landlady who checks up on your room when you're not home and bitches at u . f this

7. For 550 a month you can get a house where In the area I live. Damn, there is entire townhomes and duplex homes that are less then that here. Not that I would move to that part of this area again but still.

8. I'm from the buffalo ny general area, if you go to the southside or whatnot you have homes for sale for like a grand. Granted they are fixer uppers but i'm talking those skinny three story places. Again, bad area, but it's hard to feel anything but that i am straight getting grifted here. But this particular locale is a college town so sadly they can get away with it

9. Wow, that sucks. Housing developments here have put a stop to landlords gouging people like that.

10. Because this place is privately owned they can basically get away with murder. Maybe i'll just live out of my car all summer and then live in the dorms in fall off of government money haha. IF i can get a single. But im also thinking imma meet a sweet lil miss relatively soon and apartments are nice for that.

I've worked so many shit jobs to pay my bills its ridiculous. I gotta get serious about doing something in music which is what i'm in school for. But good luck with that right

11. Follow your passions, I've been unable to do shit for the past 7 years due to chronic pain. But that's here nor there. Have a good one and keep up with what makes ya happy.

• Like Like x 1
  12. You tipped wax down the drain? WTF were you thinking? I think you need to see the wizard of OZ and request a new brain.

Under your sink, connected to the drain, there should be a bendy pipe contraption with a couple of big screw on fittings on it. They should be hand tight. Put a bucket under the thing, unscrew and remove it. Your blockage should be there and easy to fix (if you're lucky)

If you are as retarded as I think, you should probably ask a friend to do it.

13. not retarded no cap'n. just very very stoned at the time.

it's moot now, see above. boiling water fixed it

14. As you read through the thread, you see that he has moved the problem beyond a simple trap cleaning.
    Bad landlords rent to bad tenants. It's a viscous circle.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. there's nothing to move, it melted it. like the witch in the wizard of oz, where i will now go to get a new brain

16. What do you think happened when it moved farther along to a cooler part of the pipe?
    It may appear to drain water now, but the wax coating on the pipe will be catching anything else that you wash down the drain from now on, building a restriction. You may need a snake in a couple months. Don't know if we're talking about a spoonful of wax or a pint.
    Hot water and used coffee grounds are good maintenance for keeping pipes open. Probably not much good for a wax plug.

17. It was maybe a half cup but lesson learned ya

• Like Like x 1
  18. Why don't you clean up the place? I'm not going to criticize you too much for pouring hot wax down the drain, when I got my first place I plugged the drain with bacon grease, I had no idea that it would cause problems. When you're responsible for damages you'll learn a lot faster.

19. i guess i could fix the carpet or put better carpet in or get new blinds that aren't broken , but i don't wanna spend $ on it cuz im a cheapskate. like i said. i think i'm gonna pack this up and live outta my car all summer like a true stoner/hippie/social reject. fact of the matter is i'm burned out from the bullshit. i just turned 25 and im losin hair, dont have a girl, havent fucked in two years, and cant remember my childhood or my last good memory. aint no man gonna order me around no more. wtf am i doing with my life?

i got a grand saved, wonder how far that'd get me

20. I think living with dingy carpet would be better than living in your car. Your lack of female companionship could be a problem but at least you aren't paying child support for two kids you never see so I guess things could be worse, eh?