Anyone good at math??

Discussion in 'General' started by Forever Wavy, Dec 1, 2012.

1. I REALLY NEED HELP.. I don't know how to simplify fractional exponents in fractions....
    Problem:
    2 to the 1/5
    over
    125 to the 1/5

2. If the fraction is x^(a/b), then the thing becomes the b root of (x^a).

Make sense?

So if it's x^(1/2), then its the 2nd root of (x^1), or the square root of x.
    (So the answer to your questions would be the 5th root of 2 and the 5th root of 125)

3. #3 tokin jax, Dec 1, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2012
    odds of google answering ur question correctly: highly/probable

odds of stoner answering ur question correctly: .......

dude above me wins lottery i guess..

4. Haha, I took calculus in high school, lots of exponents involved.

5. i did google it.. but the problem is
    the fifth root of 2 over the fifth root of 125 and he wants us to simplify it.. so ArjunIsAmazing, that answer is not fully simplified..

6. If it's fifth root of 5 divided by fifth root of 125, you can rationalize the denominator by multiplying the entire equation. I'll upload a picture, hold up.

7. Glad im only doing negative exponents haha

8. I don't know man there're some very smart people here

9. Alright, so you basically multiply the fraction by the 5th root of (125^4). This way, you get 125 on the denominator since you're basically multiplying (125^0.2) and (125^0.8), so you just add the exponents and get 125^1 = 125.

Edit: I derped and the photo's upside down. Hopefully you understand it though.

Attached Files:

10. Damn. I hate math

11. I believe this blade is right.

12. oh i know man, im not giving stoners a negative connotation im just saying i would trust a calculator doing my math more than a random person

13. +rep thanks

14. No problem, dude.

15. Converting to logs would be your best bet

16. You really only need to convert to logarithms when you're evaluating unknown exponents though (ex: 6^x = 28). The exponents are given here.

17. Wolframalpha.com

You will never need math help again.