Anyone good at math/statistics?

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by tylerm428, Aug 6, 2013.

1. #1 tylerm428, Aug 6, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2013
    Bought a bag of cheap seedy bud a while ago and must have collected 50-100 seeds.

So this spring I decided to germinate 6 of them for a simple outdoor grow.  I was expecting a couple to die and 1/2 of them to be male resulting in 1 or 2 decent female plants.  However, all 6 are doing well and all of the plants appear to be females!  

Can someone do the math to tell me what the chances of being this lucky are?   Assuming a 50/50 ratio of male/female what is the statistical chance of drawing 6 female seeds at random?

I'm wondering if the previous grower had a hermie that subsequently pollenated his grow resulting in feminized seeds?  Having all 6 turn out to be females seems a little too lucky to be just random chance.

2. #2 tylerm428, Aug 7, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2013
    Found an online calculator.  1/64th or 1.56% chance.   Sounds pretty damn lucky to me and I think there is a good chance I have a bunch a feminized seeds.   Hopefully they've got good genetics to go with it!

3. #3 STilladelph, Aug 7, 2013
    If you're assuming 50% are females you got pretty luckyBTW your math is wrong

4. #4 tylerm428, Aug 7, 2013

Definitely lucky.  How is the math wrong tho? I used an online calculator so it's not like I care but it makes sense if you think of it as below.

1 plant female = 50%
    2 plants all female = 25%
    3 plants all female = 12.5%
    4 plants all female = 6.25%
    5 plants all female = 3.125%
    6 plants all female = 1.5625%

Please do show the proper way to calculate this if it is indeed wrong.

5. #5 STilladelph, Aug 7, 2013
    Your think it would make sense but there a different ways of calculating the correct answer depending on the relationship of the two variables.You start with 100 seeds being 50/50, your odds are 50%Now once you remove that first one, then your odds become less in favor of whichever you drew.Once you pick your first seed there's no longer a 50/50 chance, it would be 50/49 Mathematically this would look like this if you wrote it out.(1/100) + (1/99) + (1/98) + (1/97) + (1/96) + (1/95) = 6.15%How you did it would make sense if the one seed replenished itself and there were 100 no matter how many you removed

6. #6 CL4P-TP, Aug 7, 2013
    100% chance you have herm stock .....

bag seed that only produces females is not something to brag about. sorry.

What gave you the idea I was bragging?  Just pleasantly surprised.

As for bagseed.   C'mon, you know as well as I do that it's a complete gamble.  Could be poor genetics, could be excellent.  Automatically assuming it's poor genetics just because I got it out of a bag is really short sighted and reeks of something a seedbank would say.  Most likely it's nothing special but won't know for sure until it's harvest time.  There is a reason that this is a low effort outdoor grow.

8. Why not spend $20, get 5 good feminized seeds, and not have ti waste 3 months

9. #9 tylerm428, Aug 7, 2013

There are a few reasons:
    1)  I already had the seeds.
    2)  I've wanted to do a low effort outdoor grow for a while now to see what the results would be.  Free seeds is a great way to do this.  I literally have less than $20 invested.  If I'm happy with the results I'll do it again next year with better seeds.
    3)  I want to know where you are getting your seeds from.   Everywhere I've looked a 5 pack of good feminized seeds goes for around $100.
    4)  I simply cannot throw out these seeds without at least giving them a try.  It's not in me.

10. I bought from Nirvana seed co. Got 5 femenized and 5 random femenized for $40 including shipping

11. Making the initial assumption that you will get 50 females out of the 100 seeds is not correct - that only works as the number of seeds approaches infinity.  It should be calculated the same way as if tossing a coin, where every seed theoretically has a 50/50 chance of being female.

12. Yes but there's an infinite number of times you can flip a coin, there's only 100 seeds.

Thanks.  I'll check them out.

14. Check out Herbies for seeds too.  They throw in freebies on every order.  I ordered 15 top of the line fem seeds and got 6 fem and 10 regular seeds free.  31 seeds for about 150, delivered.

15. I can rep for Nirvana Seed Shop as well. Nothing but quality.

16. Yup, those seeds came from a hermie plant, that's why they are all female.    Chances are, they will all hermie on you as well.

17. I don't care what anyone says bag seeds can turn out good bud way better bud than the bag u got it out of

Sent from my XT907 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

18. no one is saying bagseeds are bad......or that you cannot yield some dank as shit. ( hell I'd hope you're able to do better then the numb nuts who either forgot to take out the males or caused stamens to pop)

what we're saying is that if you use bag seeds, and you get 100% fems, you're very likely growing hermies.

mathematically speaking he probability of herm seeds is much higher, then em all being females

19. #19 tylerm428, Aug 17, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2013
    Update:  You guys were right.  I had to cut down a plant as it turned out to be a hermie.    It had flowered as I wasn't watching it (thought it was a female).   But luckily I think I caught it soon enough.  Only about 5 or so pods had opened.  I may find the odd seed on my other plants but shouldn't be too bad.

1 hermie out of 6 plants so far.  I don't think the other plants are hermies as I don't see any signs of it on them - but will keep checking and will update the thread if I find more.

20. thanks for the update i was reading and perfect great lesson learnt